Jump to content
Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu

Hello - What's this Forum? An Introduction

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I have started learning Muay Thai only few months ago, but I have been to Thailand many times and had always been fascinated by it (I just never had the courage to approach a gym before). 

I really enjoy Sylvie's videos... so that's how I landed here! 

Thank you!!!

  • Like 3
  • Nak Muay 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello! My name is Jose and I am from Antigua, Guatemala. Grew up in the states and started training Muay Thai about two years ago. 

 

Fell in love with the sport and how it helps me balance my school life. 

 

Planning a trip to Thailand after my exam is finished.

 

Would love to make contacts and have good conversations. So excited to be here!

 

-Jose

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SPACEDOODLE said:

Hello! My name is Jose and I am from Antigua, Guatemala. Grew up in the states and started training Muay Thai about two years ago. 

 

Fell in love with the sport and how it helps me balance my school life. 

 

Planning a trip to Thailand after my exam is finished.

 

Would love to make contacts and have good conversations. So excited to be here!

 

-Jose

Hi Jose, welcome to the forum! We're excited to have you here, to share interesting conversations and topics about Muay Thai. You're certainly not the only one here trying to balance Muay Thai with school 🙂 

  • Like 1
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

You're certainly not the only one here trying to balance Muay Thai with school 🙂 

 

Hi Sylvie!

 

Thanks so much for that warm introduction! Already started responding here and there when I can. Absolutely excited to be connecting with others for the sake of Muay Thai!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I've been training Muay Thai for 4 weeks now. Came from a boxing background.

Falling in love with Muay Thai and the challenges it's bringing already 🙂 (very sore shins).

Great website and forum!

 

Edited by Buska
  • Like 2
  • Respect 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2019 at 7:30 AM, Buska said:

Hi everyone,

I've been training Muay Thai for 4 weeks now. Came from a boxing background.

Falling in love with Muay Thai and the challenges it's bringing already 🙂 (very sore shins).

Great website and forum!

 

Welcome! I can't feel my shins anymore at all, haha. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Guys/Girls,

 

I have a bit of mma background, previously been to Thailand for a little trip a few years ago and used to be a member of the infamous Muaythailand.com Forum. I have recently got the urge to get back into Muay Thai and currently in planning stages for a 4-6 month trip! This is a very interesting and useful forum to help plan a trip to Thailand!  I like the positive vibe of this forum and the lack of flame wars! Will try and contribute as much as I can post a review of the gyms I visit!

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, standbystandby said:

Hi Guys/Girls,

 

I have a bit of mma background, previously been to Thailand for a little trip a few years ago and used to be a member of the infamous Muaythailand.com Forum. I have recently got the urge to get back into Muay Thai and currently in planning stages for a 4-6 month trip! This is a very interesting and useful forum to help plan a trip to Thailand!  I like the positive vibe of this forum and the lack of flame wars! Will try and contribute as much as I can post a review of the gyms I visit!

 

Welcome to the Forum and Welcome back to Muay Thai! See you in the threads 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hi Sylvie
I have seen several of your posts on your trips to Thailand and  what I am really interested in is Phra Rahu.and your experiences with this deity. I myself have been very pulled towards him and the connection is just there. However, many are afraid of him.  I am also a westerner, Scottish, working out how I relate to Phra Rahu.
Thanks

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone! 

I am Nicolas, French but living in Barcelona, Spain. 

Been in love with Muay Thai for 5 years but only began training 3 monts ago. 

My goal is to go to a Thailand Camp in 2021 fro 3 to 6 months and hopefully fight! 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, Nicolas said:

Hello everyone! 

I am Nicolas, French but living in Barcelona, Spain. 

Been in love with Muay Thai for 5 years but only began training 3 monts ago. 

My goal is to go to a Thailand Camp in 2021 fro 3 to 6 months and hopefully fight! 

 

Wonderful, welcome Nicolas! Hope you make your goal of 2021, but be sure to let us know how your training is going in these threads in the meantime and maybe some of the advice and posts here can help you plan your trip 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Wonderful, welcome Nicolas! Hope you make your goal of 2021, but be sure to let us know how your training is going in these threads in the meantime and maybe some of the advice and posts here can help you plan your trip 🙂

Thanks Sylvie will do! On Tuesday I'm passing the exam to get to the advanced class, two months after entering the academy, mostly thanks to your videos on how to improve the techniques. My biggest weakness are kicks though, I need that hips flexibility! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nicolas said:

Thanks Sylvie will do! On Tuesday I'm passing the exam to get to the advanced class, two months after entering the academy, mostly thanks to your videos on how to improve the techniques. My biggest weakness are kicks though, I need that hips flexibility! 

Wow! Impressive!

I’m new to MT but I started yoga several times a week once I started Muay Thai 6 months ago to help with my flexibility! It does help.

you can find yoga classes on line. Just a thought if you aren’t already trying to increase your flexibility. 

Edited to add. I should clarify it doesn’t have to be ‘yoga’ - but just stretches that may or may not be a yoga pose....to help increase your hip flexibility in particular  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MadelineGrace said:

Wow! Impressive!

I’m new to MT but I started yoga several times a week once I started Muay Thai 6 months ago to help with my flexibility! It does help.

you can find yoga classes on line. Just a thought if you aren’t already trying to increase your flexibility. 

Edited to add. I should clarify it doesn’t have to be ‘yoga’ - but just stretches that may or may not be a yoga pose....to help increase your hip flexibility in particular  

Thanks Madeline, I did start doing flexibility exercises before and after each session. I tried Yoga, but it was way too quiet for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

I'm Aurélien, 29, and I live in Caen, France. I started muay thai 1 year ago and instantly fall in love with it. I've always been fascinated by martial arts, even did kung fu for a couple of years and attended some MT class by accident in May 2018. 1 year and a few months later I can say that I finally found something that gives me a sense of fulfillment I never experienced before.

Even if I do not intend to fight (even though I'd be more than happy if I'd ever have the opportunity), I put a good deal of effort into learning, improving and constantly challenging myself physically and mentally.

Here to meet new MT friends, get some tips and contribute within my capabilities!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, I'm Gene. I'm from San Francisco, California. I've been studying Muay Thai for about 10 years, I've only done a handful of smokers. By the end of 2020 I hope to transition to amateur Muay Thai since my coach thinks I'll be ready with a couple more smokers. I'm looking to compete as much as possible before amateurs. 

I'm here to make friends and learn to become a better nak muay. I'm hoping to contribute to the community as well! 

  • Like 2
  • Gamma 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, Aurélien said:

Hi,

I'm Aurélien, 29, and I live in Caen, France. I started muay thai 1 year ago and instantly fall in love with it. I've always been fascinated by martial arts, even did kung fu for a couple of years and attended some MT class by accident in May 2018. 1 year and a few months later I can say that I finally found something that gives me a sense of fulfillment I never experienced before.

Even if I do not intend to fight (even though I'd be more than happy if I'd ever have the opportunity), I put a good deal of effort into learning, improving and constantly challenging myself physically and mentally.

Here to meet new MT friends, get some tips and contribute within my capabilities!

Welcome to the forum, Aurelien! Glad you've found something so fulfilling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2019 at 11:03 AM, Kwanzama said:

Hey everyone, I'm Gene. I'm from San Francisco, California. I've been studying Muay Thai for about 10 years, I've only done a handful of smokers. By the end of 2020 I hope to transition to amateur Muay Thai since my coach thinks I'll be ready with a couple more smokers. I'm looking to compete as much as possible before amateurs. 

I'm here to make friends and learn to become a better nak muay. I'm hoping to contribute to the community as well! 

Welcome to the forum, Gene!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys, training Muaythai since 1983 when Mastery Toddy first came to Ireland. Growth of Muay in those days was very slow and sporadic but thankfully has changed a lot now. This meant trying Full Contact Eskrima, MMA and even having to have kickboxing fights when you couldn't get regular Thai fights in those early days. Had my last fight in 03 and would love to fight still, the yearning never goes. Height of repsect for what you have achieved and continuing to achieve Sylvie. 

Fought in the amature Worlds in Bangkok in 96 and 97 and had a trip to Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok in 2003 and unfortunately haven't been back since, but miss it dearly. Have my own gym since around 1987 but closed at the moment due to this pandemic 

  • Like 1
  • Nak Muay 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2021 at 3:45 AM, Dave Joyce said:

Hi guys, training Muaythai since 1983 when Mastery Toddy first came to Ireland. Growth of Muay in those days was very slow and sporadic but thankfully has changed a lot now. This meant trying Full Contact Eskrima, MMA and even having to have kickboxing fights when you couldn't get regular Thai fights in those early days. Had my last fight in 03 and would love to fight still, the yearning never goes. Height of repsect for what you have achieved and continuing to achieve Sylvie. 

Fought in the amature Worlds in Bangkok in 96 and 97 and had a trip to Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok in 2003 and unfortunately haven't been back since, but miss it dearly. Have my own gym since around 1987 but closed at the moment due to this pandemic 

Welcome to the forum Dave!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey

I'm Carl. Hadn't really trained Muay Thai in many years after training about a year of it in my early 20s. Really enjoying starting again however. 

I have trained some other combat sports here but I'm really happy to be training Muay Thai again. 

I showed my partner who has doesn't have a huge interest in Muay Thai the youtube channel and the preserve the legacy project and she was in awe of the dedication and love Sylvie had for the sport. 

Im looking forward to listening here, seeing what I can learn from people as a beginner and watchin more of the Muay Thai Library content, I haven't really seen anything like it for any other sport. There is the BJJ technique videos that people can buy but they don't quite capture the personality and history of the instructors in the same way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all! My name's JP,  I started training around a year ago mostly to get (and stay) in shape. Discovered Sylvie's channel and Patreon soon after and have been getting more and more into Muay Thai every since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all.

My name is Mark.

I've been training (karate/jujutsu/m.a/kickboxing) since 1982 and taught from 1990-2018ish

In 2018 the health club I was at cancelled my program and I gave up teaching to enroll at my friend's kickboxing gym and it feels like a vacation.

I go to training, I stand at the end of the line, no one asks me any questions and I can concentrate completely on myself..

I haven't had THAT since the 80s.

Looking forward to the conversations here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Most Recent Topics

  • Latest Comments

    • This short essay series also confronts the aesthetics of Muay Thai, as a practice. Arguments that Westerners often come to train in Thailand as a matter of a project of aesthetics.      
    • I'm just going to respond generally here. I think at 70 kg your best bet would be a gym in Phuket, because I'm not sure it would be easy to get a fight with a Thai in other parts of the country? Perhaps there are really experienced Thai female fighters in Chiang Mai who fight at 60? At least in Phuket you'd have a better chance of being matched up against another larger westerner as well? We're a little blind on the state of fighting promotions in Chiang Mai and Phuket, in the COVID era, but it seems that Phuket is having more regular shows than Chiang Mai at this point. In terms of gym recommendations though, we really don't know Phuket gyms, personally. Phuket Fight Club is a very powerful gym in Phuket that features a lot of Brazilian fighters on shows, that seems to teach a very disciplined, kick-oriented, balanced attack (based on how they seem to fight). At least with the good sized gym like that you'd have suitable training partners, and they should be able to get you fights...but this is just a view from afar.
    • I'll be going to Thailand for 2-3 months next summer with my aim being training as much as possible and hopefully fighting. I've only had 2 fights, by the time I go I'm hoping to have had 3. One thing that I believe might cause me issues is the fact that I'm pretty big, 5'9 and walk around at about 70kg. In the west it's not that big of a problem, I always train with men because there is never any girl my size and I don't mind it at all, but I wonder if that could be an issue in Thailand. I'd also like to add that while I'm looking to develop my whole game and work on my weaknesses, I'm naturally a long range counter fighter and kicks have always been my best asset. I also have a kyokushin karate background. I've always been most comfortable keeping range and scoring on the back foot, no matter how hard my karate coaches have tried to change it, so I'm looking for a gym that would best suit my style.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

    • Thank you 🙂 I asked my coach too ( Ganyao Arunleung) and in his golden age fashion said it doesn't matter, it's the heart that matters 😄😂💖 I told him Muay Thai is the love of my life (just don't tell my husband 😉😄). I think I'll put the amulet on the rim right before the tail comes together. Or I'll wear it with a necklace and find another for the Mongkol.  It will all come together as meant to be at the right time 🤞🏻
    • I train at Pacific Ring Sports on Telegraph and 40th. What about you?
    • Amulets can go anywhere on the rim of the Mongkol, the only place I don't see them is on the tail. The hair can be put inside fabric and tied on to the Mongkol, or put in a fabric that gets integrated into the wrapping.  My mom's skirt was cut into long strips and twosted very tightly, then wrapped around the tube that's the shape of the Mongkol and glued into place.
    • This is so cool.  Where do you train? I leave on the Bay Area.  
    • Hello,  I made my own Mongkol as the gym I train at doesn't have a gym Mongkol to dress fighters with. I also bought an amulet that, long story short, feels like it was meant to be, but its bigger than I expected and covers my whole forehead ( not so much vanity concern, but more size ratio awkwardness) if placed in the front center of the Mongkol.   Is it allowed to place the amulet at the back or side of the Mongkol? Also I have some of my sons hair to put on my Mongkol,  but don't know where it's supposed to be placed as well if anyone knows.  Lastly, I saw Silvies YouTube on how she had her mom's skirt made into her monkol and it had a little axe amulet. I have a fabric I wore back when traveling, and now as a mom and muay thai fighter, I want to make it into a Mongkol for my son (whether he continues with the sport again the future or not, at least he would have a monkol made from his mom's fabric). Is there any way to see a tutorial on how they actually made the fabric Mongkol (it looked twisted in a certain way but I don't know how).  I have an arrow amulet I want to add on either my or my son's Mongkols, but again the sizing of it in comparison to the actual Mongkol seem uneven.  Anyways , any answers would be greatly appreciated.  
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      1.2k
    • Total Posts
      10.6k
×
×
  • Create New...