Things that make you mad during sparring/fighting?

Today during light sparring the trainer ordered me to spar around with a smaller and less experienced guy. I am normally very composed and controlled, as was also the case in my last round after that with a quite competent woman: I was super tender, also because I noticed inhibition in her, and told her that she could/should go harder against me next time (without having intention to go harder on her).

But this guy, oh boy: Not only did he turtle (i.e. fight defensive/reactionary) nonstop, but he also only one trick ponied, otherwise running all over the place (good luck trying that in a ring). So a "one trick turtle," combining two irritating things at the same time. His trick: trying to catch my kicks, otherwise literally doing virtually nothing. But it gets even more retarded: Not only did he not use any technique after his attempted catches - he simply plowed (against rules), bringing me to the ground 2 times that way -, he also (unintentionally) abused the circumstance that I was kicking without power and nowhere near top speed.

It did not take long for this (unintentional but nevertheless) jerk to get me mad (but still fairly in control). I was basically like: "So, the retarded and abusing one trick turtle that you are likes to catch kicks? Then how about those!" I in other words increased especially speed but also power, but still without going full power or without aiming for his head. Trainer was watching and soon kinda told me to slow down. I then settled for walking the jerk throughout the gym while he was backpedalling nonstop, and the round fortunately ended soon afterwards.

And what gets you mad during sparring/fighting?

• Like 1

I don't get mad in sparring, but we do have one guy who excessively catches kicks. If they were full power they'd be too hard/fast for him to catch every single one. It just makes me work on other aspects of my game.

I could be in a fight and hurt my leg and not be able to use kicks anymore. It's not unreasonable to practice your other "6 limbs" against him.

Try to breathe and remember that this is practice and you're helping each other improve. When I'm with newer people I often handicap myself and try to work on specific weaknesses of mine. Have fun!

• Like 5

Things that get me annoyed: sparring taller guys who only try to go for head kick the entire round because of our obvious height discrepancy; new people who try to use "fancy" techniques like jumping/spinning kicks when their other techniques are pretty much non-existent; people that are too "jittery/spazing out"; people who have no self-control and treat a sparring session like it is a last round of a title fight; the biggest one though is bigger guys that are showboating, trying to push/trip me in a joking around way, the things that they would not be able to do to anyone their own size so to me it feels disrespectful and a waste of my time trying to spar with a person like that so at that point I just don't even bother engaging to much, just basically waiting until the end of the round as I don't feel like putting any more effort into sparring with someone like that.

• Like 4

It's not unreasonable to practice your other "6 limbs" against him.

When I'm with newer people I often handicap myself and try to work on specific weaknesses of mine.

Good advice there, but I really could not apply that in that session: We don't really do elbows and virtually no knees yet, plus the dude kept running nonstop, so I also could not use my fists. It was easily the most retarded 'sparring session' I ever had.

Most of the time we do timing sparring, though I do enjoy the occasional hard sparring session. The thing that makes me rage is when someone asks to go light/do timing sparring and then proceeds to start going hard and fast to "get" something because their timing won't let them. It's probably unintentional, but SUPER annoying no less. 

I also loathe when you have someone in the room who only seeks out partners who are smaller and/or less experienced and then proceeds to clown on them. Bigger guys are usually good at noticing these types, and will take care of the problem :wink: Speaking of which, I love heavyweights. They have a tendency to be the best training partners, even if they have over 100lbs on everyone else. 

• Like 8

I get furious and frustrated with myself for being too slow, or missing a good shot, or failing to put up an adequate block - especially if it's something I've already been caught out on and I know I have to correct it!

However I am pretty good at taking a deep breath, calming down, and trying to use the annoyance to strengthen my game.

My trainer sometimes deliberately tries to wind me up, which is good it means I have to keep a lid on my emotions and not get riled, because that only leads to disaster (which is why he does it, to teach control).

It drives me crazy though when he is pinging in and out with his lovely footwork and constantly disappearing just as I'm trying to set up a shot, then zipping in and smacking me! But boy, is it teaching me to improve my own footwork and to watch for the moment when I can shoot in and catch him.

• Like 5

I agree with Kaitlin on the rage induced by the dude who only wants to go against someone much smaller or less skilled. I'm 100 lbs and scraping 5'2", so when a guy who is 180 lbs wants to spar with me instead of the far more reasonable partners available at the gym - and then fucking coach me - I get really annoyed.

In a different vein, I hate when people go too light. There's a line past which being too light is just nonsense. If I'm pitching a baseball I do have to throw it hard enough to reach the damn plate so the guy with the bat can hit it, otherwise what the hell are we doing? Usually it's insulting as well because the person going that light is doing so with the belief that they can hurt me due to my size. I address this both physically and verbally, but some people just won't get it together. If Pi Nu can't hurt me, you certainly can't. (and he can, and does)

And above all I hate when people get emotional. Just don't, it's not fun.

• Like 9

Most of the time we do timing sparring, though I do enjoy the occasional hard sparring session.

The thing that makes me rage is when someone asks to go light/do timing sparring and then proceeds to start going hard and fast to "get" something because their timing won't let them. It's probably unintentional, but SUPER annoying no less. 

Speaking of which, I love heavyweights. They have a tendency to be the best training partners, even if they have over 100lbs on everyone else. 

Agreed on all points and based on experience. Funny thing at my gym is there are two to three guys who have slightly above 100kgs compared to my ~84kgs, but due to being the closest to them in terms of height and weight, I spar with them mostly and it's also pretty good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't mind getting thrown or tripped, unless my sparring partner attacks without giving me a sec to get back on my feet. That just pushes my buttons, but I'm too new to the sport to do much with that anger.

• People who stopped training for 1 year or so than come back skip half the warm up because a lack of condition and go all out in sparring but tell you before the round starts "Please go light I didn't train for long", than they need to sit down after 2 rounds because it is too tiring...

• When you are able to land something good but you hold back because it is sparring and not fighting and they take advantage of it (like a shin placed in their neck => They try to throw or sweep you as hard as they can. Like being able to knee them on the head => get a killer hook on the face for being a bit sloppy because you don't go 100% and hold back.

• People who wanna go hard on you but don't like it if you return it (sparring).
  • Like 3

• When people show up super late - missing the warm-up and half the drilling time
  • When your partner doesn't touch gloves at the beginning of the round
  • Volume strikers - it annoys me because it is not something I am able to deal with yet so I get very frustrated
  • When your partner gets a good shot, but they get freaked out because you're a woman so they stop to apologize even though you're perfectly intent on continuing the round
  • When I get emotional
  • Someone who insists on coaching you during the round, even though they are not a coach or a pro fighter or even someone who has had a fight (shut your damn mouth!)
  • When people coach at the sidelines who are not my coach or pro fighters
  • When bigger guys are still new so they don't understand their power and thus have less control, making them (in my opinion) spazzy and dangerous

Most of the issues I have with sparring are with myself. Namely, getting emotional and frustrated that I don't feel like I can keep up. It's something I'm working on. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Let's add something to it:

This fit with the sparring partner that keeps going hard but just started training.
Catching a kick is okay (you can catch the kick because we are sparring technical, otherwise your ribs wouldn't like it that much) than holding it like some kind of heel lock is not needed and when you are falling down, please let go of my heel instead of pulling me also down.

Not that comfy for my heel.  :sleep:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to find that happy medium between going too hard and taking it too easy. Light sparring seems to mean "slow" in my mind. So I'll relax and take it easy when cued by a trainer, but then slow way down, eat more shots and miss everything I throw. Good times.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Translation:  (Continued from the previous edition (page?) … However, before being matched against Phadejsuk in the Royal Boxing program for His Majesty [Rama IX], The two had faced each other once before [in 1979]. At that time, a foreign boxer had already been booked to face Narongnoi, and the fight would happen regardless of who wins the fight between Narongnoi and Phadejsuk. … That foreign boxer was Toshio Fujiwara, a Japanese boxer who became a Muay Thai champion, the first foreign champion. He took the title from Monsawan Lukchiangmai in Tokyo, then he came to Thailand to defend the title against Sripae Kiatsompop and lost in a way that many Thai viewers saw that he shouldn’t have lost(?). Fujiwara therefore tried to prove himself again with any famous Nak Muay available. Mr. Montree Mongkolsawat, a promoter at Rajadamnern Stadium, decided to have Narongnoi Kiatbandit defeat the reckless Fujiwara on February 6, the following month. It was good then that Narongnoi had lost to Phadejsuk as it made him closer in form to the Japanese boxer. If he had beaten Phadejsuk, it would have been a lopsided matchup. The news of the clash between Narongnoi and Toshio Fujiawara, the great Samurai from Japan had been spread heavily through the media without any embellishments. The fight was naturally popular as the hit/punch(?) of that spirited Samurai made the hearts of Thai people itch(?). Is the first foreign Champion as skilled as they say? It was still up to debate as Fujiwara had defeated “The Golden Leg” Pudpadnoi Worawut by points beautifully at Lumpinee Stadium in 1978, and before that, he had already defeated Prayut Sittibunlert and knocked out Sripae Kaitsompop in Japan, so he became a hero that Japanese people admired, receiving compliments from fans one after another(?). Thus the fight became more than just about skills. It was (advertised as?) a battle between nations by the organizing team, consisting of promoter Montree Mongkolsawat, Somchai Sriwattanachai representing the “Daily Times(?),” Mahapet of “Muay Thai” magazine, and Palad of “Boxing” magazine were also present, and they named the show in a very cool(?) way, “The Battle of the Fierce Samurai.” Even “The Smiling Tiger of Ayothaya” Narongnoi who was never afraid or shaken was affected by the advertising, confessing to the media that he felt a little scared, unlike usual when he faced other Thai boxers like himself. “Why are you scared?” “Maybe because the opponent is a foreigner. There’s news that he is very talented.”  “So you’re afraid that if you lose to him in our own home, it will give us a bad name and be very shameful for you.” “Yes! But my heart knows that I can’t lose because I am fighting in my own country. And in any case, he probably won’t/wouldn’t be better than our boxers. “But he has defeated many of our famous boxers such as Pudpadnoi-Prayut-Sripae. To tell the truth, he must be considered a top boxer in our country.” “Yes, I know” Narongnoi admitted, “but Pudpadnoi could not be considered to be in fresh form as he had been declining for many years and could only defeat Wangprai Rotchanasongkram the fight before(?). [Fujiwara] fought Prayut and Sripae in Japan. Once they stepped on stage there, they were already at a huge disadvantage. I trained especially well for this fight, so if I lose to Fujiwara, my name will be gone(?) as well.” “The Battle of the Fierce Samurai” was postponed from February 6 to February 12, but Thai boxing fans were still very excited about this matchup, wanting to see with their own eyes how good the spirited Japanese boxer was, and wanted to see Narongnoi declare the dignity(?) of Thai boxers decisively with a neck kick, or fold the Japanese fighter with a knee. Win in a way that will make Thai people feel satisfied.   [Photo description] Narongnoi Kiatbandit used his strength to attack Fujiwara, a fake Muay Thai fighter until Fujiwara lost on points.   Fujiwara flew to Bangkok 2-3 days before the fight. The organizers of the show had prepared an open workout for him at Rajadamnern Stadium for advertising purposes. Many press reporters and boxing fans crowded together to see Fujiwara. Their annoyance increased as all he did for three rounds was punch the air [shadowboxing], jump rope, and warm up with physical exercises. After finishing the first three rounds, he was asked to put on gloves and do two rounds of sparring with a person who was already dressed and waiting. However, Fujiwara’s doctor told him that it was unnecessary. This time he had come to defeat a Thai boxer, not to perform for the show. Photographers shook their heads and carried their empty cameras back to their printing houses, one after another. In addition to measuring the prestige of the two nations, the fight between Narongnoi and Fujiwara was also wagered on, with a budget of 1 million baht. Narongnoi was at 3-2 in odds, and someone had prepared money to bet on the Japanese underdog, almost a million baht. Only “Hia Lao” Klaew Thanikul, who had just entered the boxing world, would bet 500,000 baht alone, and the Japanese side would only bet a few hundred thousand. The only person who truly bet on Narongnoi’s side was Chu Chiap Te-Chabanjerd or Kwang Joker, the leader of the “Joker” group, supported by Sgt. Chai Phongsupa. The others could not bet because the Japanese side ran out of money to bet on. Narongnoi’s disadvantage would be that it would be the first time that he will fight at 134 lbs. However, he would have youth and strength on his side, as well as having trained Muay Thai in Thailand(?). Narongnoi was only 22 years old, while Fujiwara was already 33. His 33 years did not seem to be a concern in terms of strength as he had trained very well and never knew the word “exhaustion.” Fujiwara had an abundance of endurance, to the extent that the Japanese could trust him completely on this issue. Yes [krap], when the day came, Rajadamnern Stadium was packed with boxing fans of all ages. The entrance fee was set at 100-200 and 400 baht per person, and the total raised was over 900,000 baht, less than ten thousand baht short of reaching the million baht mark. This means that the number of viewers was more than double that of the special events (200-400 baht per person) nowadays. Even though it was more exciting than any other fight in the past, Narongnoi Kiatbandit, the 130 lbs champion, was able to completely extinguish Toshio Fujiwara by throwing his left leg to the ribs every now and then. This made “the Samurai” unable to turn the odds(?) in time because Narongnoi would always stifle him. Fujiwara could only rely on his physical fitness and endurance to stand and receive various strikes until his back and shoulders were red with kick marks. After 5 rounds, he lost by a landslide, with no chance to fight back at all. Most of the audience was pleased, but there were some who complained that Narongnoi should have won by knockout, which was not easy as Fujiwara had already established that he was the best in Tokyo. If it were any other Japanese boxer, it would be certain that he would not have survived. “Am BangOr” wrote in the “Circle of Thoughts" column(?) of the boxing newspaper at that time: “Then the truth came out to show that Toshio Fujiwara was not really that good at Muay Thai. He was beaten by Narongnoi Kiatbandit who only used his left leg. Fujiwara was frozen, bouncing back and forth with the force of his leg, and he lost by a landslide... The only thing worth admiring about this Sun Warrior is his endurance and excellent durability. For someone at the age of 33 like him to be able to stand and take Narongnoi's kicks like that, he must be considered quite strong. Why, then, did other Thai boxers lose to him? Monsawan-Sriprae-Pudpadnoi-Worawut have all helped strengthen this Japanese boxer. The answer is that their readiness was not enough(?). This victory of Narongnoi is considered to be the erasing of the old beliefs that were stuck in the hearts of Thais who were afraid that Japan would become the master of Thai boxing. It will probably be a long time and it will be difficult as long as Thai boxers can maintain our identity. But we cannot be complacent. If we are arrogant and think that the Japanese will not give up, we Thais may be hurt again because they will not give up. If we make a mistake today, he will have to find a way to make up for it tomorrow."
    • Sylvie wrote a really cool article about why sparring escalates, even when people are trying to go light. A gem from 10 years ago. https://8limbsus.com/blog/brain-science-sparring-gets-control-neurology-muay-thai
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• 3½ years late of a reply haha. I'm in Phuket and have went to quite a few physios. The best so far is Meaw at OptimiseFit at the Blue Tree in north Phuket. She doesn't dry needle me as another Dr. has here but all my muscle tension came back soon so it's a waste of money.
    • Don't know if this brand offers shin guards but might as well check them out. I bought a few pairs of shorts from them a while ago and was genuinely impressed. https://siamkickfight.com/
    • Hi all, I have paid a deposit to a gym in Pai near Chiang Mai to train at in January. I am now concerned about the pollution levels at that time of year because of the burning season. Can you recommend a location that is likely to have safer air quality for training in January? I would like to avoid Bangkok and Phuket, if possible. Thank you!
    • Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts