The thrill of doing something dangerous?

Proving oneself as worthy of admiration and respect, attention?

Going to war and winning? Coming home a hero?

Protest against the status quo of regular "straight, boring worklife routines?"

Are there deeper reasons for fighting? Here is Dr. Janovs take on early imprints. Please read the section about free diving, alot of this brings me to think about motivation for fighting Muay-Thai.

http://cigognenews.blogspot.com.es/2016/02/still-more-on-act-out.html#comment-form.

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to read it.

Going off your topic question alone though, there's many reasons, but I will briefly write my personal opinion.

I think if you spend a lot of time training for something whether its running, swimming, eating, boxing, muay thai, then you want to test yourself to see how good you actually are. A competition really shows you which areas you need to improve, though I don't think this is the only reason I also believe the rush of fighting is something many people love.

I'm not rich, but I want to compete so that I can improve and also because its something I enjoy and I don't want to live life doing things I don't enjoy. Hey they do say you only regret the things you didn't do! 

I'm sure someone can tell you a proper explanation with loads of theories etc etc etc.  :sorcerer:

I don't understand the "early imprints" concept. It's too speculative for me to be true and scientific. 

And I also do not agree with free diving bringing yourself close to death and reliving. This is a theory that seems to be put together to match the authors philosophy. 

Freedivers dive, because it's only then - without masks and all the equipment - that you feel truely free and have a kind of katharsis looking at the beauty hidden from most of the people underwater. Some say it's like connecting with God.

Diving down into the water - they never even come close to their breath-holding limits. Of course the amount of time you can spend without breathing while holding still in a pool is different to when you have to dive down and up with a weight around your neck and underwater currents. The death he had mentioned in the post - I'm not sure who he refers to. There was a close-to-death situtation in a small competition last month which I can think of - but it was because of the underwater currents that were irregular and the diver couldn't dive up. She was resusciated and brought to the hospital immidately and as far as I know, she's okay.

There was actually a death of a world-class famous diver recently: Natalia Molchanova, which was a huge loss to the freediving community. She went missing during a dive she had done outside of competition - where she was actually believed to dive without a safety diver (a second, experienced person keeping watch over your dive) on her own and was probably swept away by underwater currents. She was doing it on her own, an exception of the rule, which resulted in a fatality, unfortunately. 

The only thing that might be controversial about freediving are blackouts that happen in competitions, but mostly it happens if the diver surfaces too fast - yes, it can be a shock to the body to suddenly have air again and can result in a blackout even to world-class divers. It's still not a "close to death" experience. The top world class divers are used to different waters and are really all-around trained athletes, they can handle most of the situations in competition perfectly and I assure you, they don't do it for the thrill of "almost dying" - I'm sure they are a scared, but it's with respect to the force of nature they are standing face to face with.

Yeah, so maybe I went a bit overboard in explaining all that, but I feel people shouldn't write about freediving when a) they never experienced it, b) they never spoke with anyone who does it. I have the honour to work with one of the top 3 freedivers in the world and thanks to that I learned a lot about freediving and the misconceptions. I also got rid of my fear - the first movie I watched, I was literally scared to having goosebumps on my skin seeing him dive down. Now, I understand it better.

Regarding fighting: I don't know, do rich Westerners want to fight? I don't know, like Justin Bieber wants to fight? Let's ask him, he'll probably do it, because it would make him look brave and manly, so from my understanding, they do it because they want to be seen as though badasses. I think your question need to be more precise - what do you consider a rich Westerner for example?

• Like 4

Yeah, I don't experience fighting as a "being glanced by death" or super "adrenaline junky" kind of thing. If put to it, I do recognize that fighting is dangerous and all kinds of terrible, life-altering or life-ending things could happen, but I think about it about as much as I think about those being facts of driving my motorbike to the gym or store every day. 

The difficulty I have is that there appears to be an a priori assumption that because many fighters who come out of poverty, that their fight is some kind of necessity. Absolutely a "hungry" fighter has motivations that are quite different from someone whose livelihood does not depend on the outcome of a fight. But I don't believe that the motivation to fight is singular; the "reasons" and motives behind fighting for every single person are legion. And by and large I think they are more similar between persons than they are different. I have absolutely zero interest in free diving, but I can empathize with the motivation and passion for it because it's similar enough to the core experiences of my world.

• Like 3

The theory seems way too speculative for me, but I do believe that fighters are acting out very deep patterns in their body, and are often are attempting to transform or transcend them.

I agree with you Kevin, it is one of the many reasons behind wanting to fight.

Do we ask people when they fall in love why they are in love? Usually we don't, because the answer would be to vague, it is - I think- the same with passion. Passion is something you can't explain to someone who isn't passionated.

I wrote a text, about what muay thai is to me, what it brought into my life. I've shared it with two passionates friends - one loves yoga, the other one is a passionated photographer and artist - and they both told me something like that : I've never really understood before, but now I know, it resonate with me in a deeper way. I still think it is a weird passion to have, but I know what you feel, because I feel it too. (If ever you are interested it is : here)

Also, as Micc said : can you define rich westerner?

If rich is living well enough, not to have to fight (against one's will) to make a living : 

I guess I am rich : I have an house, I can eat everyday and not die outside in the cold because I also have warm clothes. 

It make me remember of something. To the last fight I went (there is less that in Thailand, here we can be happy if there is two event in a month!), I was in the public, looking at all those people with their eyes on the ring and screaming the sh** out of them. I thought "people are so agressive [the public much more than fighter]... we enjoy watching people punching and kicking each other ... and worse ... some people actually are willing to get into the ring ... have we really evolved since gladiator times? or will we ever be the same? "

Some people fight because they have to. Some fight because they love it, but maybe it is deeper than just love, maybe it is because deep under that love, they are fighting something, someone in their life, and this is the way they found to keep themselves alive.

• Like 4

This came to mind...

(from Wiki) In evolutionary biology, people often speak of the four F's ( psychologist Karl H. Pribram) are said to be the four basic drives (motivations or instincts) that animals (including humans) are evolutionarilyadapted to have, follow, and achieve fighting, fleeingfeeding, and fucking (alternatively fornicating). In the case of vertebrates, this list corresponds to the motivational behaviors that drive the activity in the hypothalamus, which responds to these motivations by regulating activity in the endocrine system and releasing hormones to alter the behavior of the animal.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Translation:  (Continued from the previous edition (page?) … However, before being matched against Phadejsuk in the Royal Boxing program for His Majesty [Rama IX], The two had faced each other once before [in 1979]. At that time, a foreign boxer had already been booked to face Narongnoi, and the fight would happen regardless of who wins the fight between Narongnoi and Phadejsuk. … That foreign boxer was Toshio Fujiwara, a Japanese boxer who became a Muay Thai champion, the first foreign champion. He took the title from Monsawan Lukchiangmai in Tokyo, then he came to Thailand to defend the title against Sripae Kiatsompop and lost in a way that many Thai viewers saw that he shouldn’t have lost(?). Fujiwara therefore tried to prove himself again with any famous Nak Muay available. Mr. Montree Mongkolsawat, a promoter at Rajadamnern Stadium, decided to have Narongnoi Kiatbandit defeat the reckless Fujiwara on February 6, the following month. It was good then that Narongnoi had lost to Phadejsuk as it made him closer in form to the Japanese boxer. If he had beaten Phadejsuk, it would have been a lopsided matchup. The news of the clash between Narongnoi and Toshio Fujiawara, the great Samurai from Japan had been spread heavily through the media without any embellishments. The fight was naturally popular as the hit/punch(?) of that spirited Samurai made the hearts of Thai people itch(?). Is the first foreign Champion as skilled as they say? It was still up to debate as Fujiwara had defeated “The Golden Leg” Pudpadnoi Worawut by points beautifully at Lumpinee Stadium in 1978, and before that, he had already defeated Prayut Sittibunlert and knocked out Sripae Kaitsompop in Japan, so he became a hero that Japanese people admired, receiving compliments from fans one after another(?). Thus the fight became more than just about skills. It was (advertised as?) a battle between nations by the organizing team, consisting of promoter Montree Mongkolsawat, Somchai Sriwattanachai representing the “Daily Times(?),” Mahapet of “Muay Thai” magazine, and Palad of “Boxing” magazine were also present, and they named the show in a very cool(?) way, “The Battle of the Fierce Samurai.” Even “The Smiling Tiger of Ayothaya” Narongnoi who was never afraid or shaken was affected by the advertising, confessing to the media that he felt a little scared, unlike usual when he faced other Thai boxers like himself. “Why are you scared?” “Maybe because the opponent is a foreigner. There’s news that he is very talented.”  “So you’re afraid that if you lose to him in our own home, it will give us a bad name and be very shameful for you.” “Yes! But my heart knows that I can’t lose because I am fighting in my own country. And in any case, he probably won’t/wouldn’t be better than our boxers. “But he has defeated many of our famous boxers such as Pudpadnoi-Prayut-Sripae. To tell the truth, he must be considered a top boxer in our country.” “Yes, I know” Narongnoi admitted, “but Pudpadnoi could not be considered to be in fresh form as he had been declining for many years and could only defeat Wangprai Rotchanasongkram the fight before(?). [Fujiwara] fought Prayut and Sripae in Japan. Once they stepped on stage there, they were already at a huge disadvantage. I trained especially well for this fight, so if I lose to Fujiwara, my name will be gone(?) as well.” “The Battle of the Fierce Samurai” was postponed from February 6 to February 12, but Thai boxing fans were still very excited about this matchup, wanting to see with their own eyes how good the spirited Japanese boxer was, and wanted to see Narongnoi declare the dignity(?) of Thai boxers decisively with a neck kick, or fold the Japanese fighter with a knee. Win in a way that will make Thai people feel satisfied.   [Photo description] Narongnoi Kiatbandit used his strength to attack Fujiwara, a fake Muay Thai fighter until Fujiwara lost on points.   Fujiwara flew to Bangkok 2-3 days before the fight. The organizers of the show had prepared an open workout for him at Rajadamnern Stadium for advertising purposes. Many press reporters and boxing fans crowded together to see Fujiwara. Their annoyance increased as all he did for three rounds was punch the air [shadowboxing], jump rope, and warm up with physical exercises. After finishing the first three rounds, he was asked to put on gloves and do two rounds of sparring with a person who was already dressed and waiting. However, Fujiwara’s doctor told him that it was unnecessary. This time he had come to defeat a Thai boxer, not to perform for the show. Photographers shook their heads and carried their empty cameras back to their printing houses, one after another. In addition to measuring the prestige of the two nations, the fight between Narongnoi and Fujiwara was also wagered on, with a budget of 1 million baht. Narongnoi was at 3-2 in odds, and someone had prepared money to bet on the Japanese underdog, almost a million baht. Only “Hia Lao” Klaew Thanikul, who had just entered the boxing world, would bet 500,000 baht alone, and the Japanese side would only bet a few hundred thousand. The only person who truly bet on Narongnoi’s side was Chu Chiap Te-Chabanjerd or Kwang Joker, the leader of the “Joker” group, supported by Sgt. Chai Phongsupa. The others could not bet because the Japanese side ran out of money to bet on. Narongnoi’s disadvantage would be that it would be the first time that he will fight at 134 lbs. However, he would have youth and strength on his side, as well as having trained Muay Thai in Thailand(?). Narongnoi was only 22 years old, while Fujiwara was already 33. His 33 years did not seem to be a concern in terms of strength as he had trained very well and never knew the word “exhaustion.” Fujiwara had an abundance of endurance, to the extent that the Japanese could trust him completely on this issue. Yes [krap], when the day came, Rajadamnern Stadium was packed with boxing fans of all ages. The entrance fee was set at 100-200 and 400 baht per person, and the total raised was over 900,000 baht, less than ten thousand baht short of reaching the million baht mark. This means that the number of viewers was more than double that of the special events (200-400 baht per person) nowadays. Even though it was more exciting than any other fight in the past, Narongnoi Kiatbandit, the 130 lbs champion, was able to completely extinguish Toshio Fujiwara by throwing his left leg to the ribs every now and then. This made “the Samurai” unable to turn the odds(?) in time because Narongnoi would always stifle him. Fujiwara could only rely on his physical fitness and endurance to stand and receive various strikes until his back and shoulders were red with kick marks. After 5 rounds, he lost by a landslide, with no chance to fight back at all. Most of the audience was pleased, but there were some who complained that Narongnoi should have won by knockout, which was not easy as Fujiwara had already established that he was the best in Tokyo. If it were any other Japanese boxer, it would be certain that he would not have survived. “Am BangOr” wrote in the “Circle of Thoughts" column(?) of the boxing newspaper at that time: “Then the truth came out to show that Toshio Fujiwara was not really that good at Muay Thai. He was beaten by Narongnoi Kiatbandit who only used his left leg. Fujiwara was frozen, bouncing back and forth with the force of his leg, and he lost by a landslide... The only thing worth admiring about this Sun Warrior is his endurance and excellent durability. For someone at the age of 33 like him to be able to stand and take Narongnoi's kicks like that, he must be considered quite strong. Why, then, did other Thai boxers lose to him? Monsawan-Sriprae-Pudpadnoi-Worawut have all helped strengthen this Japanese boxer. The answer is that their readiness was not enough(?). This victory of Narongnoi is considered to be the erasing of the old beliefs that were stuck in the hearts of Thais who were afraid that Japan would become the master of Thai boxing. It will probably be a long time and it will be difficult as long as Thai boxers can maintain our identity. But we cannot be complacent. If we are arrogant and think that the Japanese will not give up, we Thais may be hurt again because they will not give up. If we make a mistake today, he will have to find a way to make up for it tomorrow."
    • Sylvie wrote a really cool article about why sparring escalates, even when people are trying to go light. A gem from 10 years ago. https://8limbsus.com/blog/brain-science-sparring-gets-control-neurology-muay-thai
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• 3½ years late of a reply haha. I'm in Phuket and have went to quite a few physios. The best so far is Meaw at OptimiseFit at the Blue Tree in north Phuket. She doesn't dry needle me as another Dr. has here but all my muscle tension came back soon so it's a waste of money.
    • Don't know if this brand offers shin guards but might as well check them out. I bought a few pairs of shorts from them a while ago and was genuinely impressed. https://siamkickfight.com/
    • Hi all, I have paid a deposit to a gym in Pai near Chiang Mai to train at in January. I am now concerned about the pollution levels at that time of year because of the burning season. Can you recommend a location that is likely to have safer air quality for training in January? I would like to avoid Bangkok and Phuket, if possible. Thank you!
    • Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts