Jump to content
LengLeng

Heel kick to back of thigh? Clinching question.

Recommended Posts

As explained in earlier posts I study lethwei and through this experience I also get a deeper understanding of muay thai.

Anyhow, I recently learned an interesting clinch technique where you - while holding each other controlling body etc - pull out your leg like a teep and bend your leg and hit your opponent's back thigh/back of knee with heel of foot. 

It's very effective and hurts a lot. Would anybody know if this is something done in muay thai? 

  • Respect 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Yes, Hippy taught this to me (it feckin' hurts) and Rambaa also does it in the clinch.

Awesome thanks for clarification both to you and Kevin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually there are some techniques of which I'm wondering if they are "allowed" or accepted, such as a hook to the neck instead of the jaw or attacking the back of the head or the lowest pair of ribs which is said to be some sweet point.

Is this just some "dirty play"? Can anyone help me with understanding these points?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Barbara_K said:

Actually there are some techniques of which I'm wondering if they are "allowed" or accepted, such as a hook to the neck instead of the jaw or attacking the back of the head or the lowest pair of ribs which is said to be some sweet point.

Is this just some "dirty play"? Can anyone help me with understanding these points?

Hitting the back of the head is illegal is most sports. This is also true of Muay Thai. However there is a workaround that is accepted and not penalised in any way. That is a simple head-kick, where the lower part of the shin hits the neck/head and your foot whips around to tap the back of the head. 

You can punch the neck as much as you want. Same goes for the ribs. 

There might be certain local limitations in some rulesets. So you just need to read the rules or go over them with the promoter/opponent/judge beforehand. 

Have fun 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, shade said:

Hitting the back of the head is illegal is most sports. This is also true of Muay Thai.

This is not true, at least for Thailand's Muay Thai. You can hit the back of the head in Thailand's Muay Thai. It isn't done a lot, because it can be read as unsportsmanlike, or dirty boxing, but it's legal. It's one reason why there is a very big "don't turn your back on the action" priority in Thailand. You MUST protect yourself. You'll also see refs run in and break positions where the back is exposed, just as a matter of protection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, LengLeng said:

pull out your leg like a teep and bend your leg and hit your opponent's back thigh/back of knee with heel of foot. 

It's very effective and hurts a lot. Would anybody know if this is something done in muay thai? 

Here it is, looked it up. I thought there was a public vid on this:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Here it is, looked it up. I thought there was a public vid on this:

 

Yes exactly this is what I was taught. Brilliant movement when you stuck in clinch and can't knee. Thanks for looking up and sharing. God it hurts! Also been taught the inside thigh kick followed by head kick a lot (front leg hits opponent inside front leg and with same front leg you follow up with head kick as opponent naturally buckles a bit. 

Actually had a conditoning drill today where my trainer kicks my inside thighs thirty times as in the video followed by thirty outside thigh kicks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...