Questions about the 60 Day Visa

So, I'm planning to go to Thailand in early October, I wanted to stay for around 2/3 months just depending on how well I spend my money. 

I'm looking at the 60 day visa 'cause I know it can be extended for 30 days. 

Anyway, I was just wondering when does the visa start? I've read on some places that it starts as soon as you receive it, but then I've read elsewhere that it arrives when you enter Thailand. The Thai embassy website says 'Single entry tourist visa will be valid for 3 months (you must enter Thailand within the validity of visa from the date of issue)' which means nothing to my simple brain.

And when can you extend the visa? Do you have to wait for the 60 days to be up then extend? 

I'm from England if that matters, thanks.

• Like 1

'Single entry tourist visa will be valid for 3 months (you must enter Thailand within the validity of visa from the date of issue)'

I'm just going to jump in here, I'm definitely no expert on visas, but we do have our own experience. When we got our first Thai visa (in the USA) it definitely started on the day it was issued, in the USA. Not on entry. So each day spent not in Thailand was coming off your visa length. Ours though was an ED visa of a kind that does not really exist any longer, but I suspect that this is the case for all visas issued by Thai embassies or consulates.

• Like 2

So, I'm planning to go to Thailand in early October, I wanted to stay for around 2/3 months just depending on how well I spend my money. 

I'm looking at the 60 day visa 'cause I know it can be extended for 30 days. 

Anyway, I was just wondering when does the visa start? I've read on some places that it starts as soon as you receive it, but then I've read elsewhere that it arrives when you enter Thailand. The Thai embassy website says 'Single entry tourist visa will be valid for 3 months (you must enter Thailand within the validity of visa from the date of issue)' which means nothing to my simple brain.

And when can you extend the visa? Do you have to wait for the 60 days to be up then extend? 

I'm from England if that matters, thanks.

Yeah, the initial visa is going to start as soon as it's issued, so you don't want to get that too long before you actually enter Thailand, but certainly not so close that you don't have time to work through any hiccups that might occur upon trying to get it. As for the extension, that one you can get prior to the expiry of your 60 days, but again you should probably do it within a week or so of the expiry. I'm about to get an extension and the lady told me that regardless of when I go to immigration, the extension begins upon the date on the expiry stamp. That's an immigration, however, and I don't know if that's the case at a border, where you're actually exiting and re-entering the country. That probably is a cancellation of the old visa if you go too early.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to update, I have read that since the new 6-month visa started being issued, there is no longer a 60/90 day tourist visa option available. The rules are constantly changing though, so check with your local Thai Consulate before you travel!

• Like 1

Just to update, I have read that since the new 6-month visa started being issued, there is no longer a 60/90 day tourist visa option available. The rules are constantly changing though, so check with your local Thai Consulate before you travel!

wow Emma. So what are the current visa options? Only the 6 month visa?! With bank account proof?

wow Emma. So what are the current visa options? Only the 6 month visa?! With bank account proof?

It seems like the only other tourist visa option is for 30 days, and they have been limiting the amount of land border crossings people can do. It seems like they can turn you away at any time. I have a friend who is flying to Kuala Lumpur every 30 days, which is ridiculous. I've also heard that people have been turned away at the airport coming into Thailand for not having proof of onward travel. Seems like they're really cracking down, which makes no sense considering they really need tourism right now.

• Like 1

Seems like they're really cracking down, which makes no sense considering they really need tourism right now.

I agree that makes no sense from maybe an economic standpoint, but the country is in a difficult position politically. Don't want to move towards a political discussion, but we should remain sensitive. The country may find itself becoming insular for ideological reasons. I believe the Prime Minister recently off-handedly joked about removing westerners from the country. Just as other, western countries can have very strong political shifts against aliens, Thailand may too. It's a push-pull. The country wants to remain an international, multi-cultural hub of business and ideas, but it also must confirm its identity. Borders are one of the first places this is usually done. So complicated!

• Like 2