Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

Muay Thai is Not Growing in Popularity - Some Data

11 hours ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

may either become indistinguishable from something it is not, like Kickboxing, or worse, could one day become something preserved in kata-like captures, quite divorced from real fights.

...yeah that would be fucked up. 

So like, people hearing the Black Keys or White Stripes and saying they listen to the blues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• I found Peter Vail's dissertation again. Unfortunately, he does not cite the Burmese Chronicle: Vail repeats the omission in his article: MODERN "MUAI THAI" MYTHOLOGY.
    • Every injury is different, but a big part of my approach has been warm water massage, especially for shins, and to not use rest too much. Instead, active recovery:     You can also read this article I wrote a few years ago, which details my injuries and some of how I responded to them:  Large and Small – The Injuries and Ailments I’ve Had Fighting in Thailand
    • Hello to all the Nak Muay. I have been practicing Muay Thai for few years, I have always admired those fighters able have a strong body/stamina when come to practice and fight. So few years back then, I tried to register a semi pro fight, it is a great and worst experience to me throughout my life hahahah, I enjoyed and suffered a lot during the process. Since I was not a great athlete and my first time. I get a lot of injuries/sprain throughout my training, which lead to my main topic here, how did you recover/ heal your injuries during the training and post-fight? I had been carrying the injuries for few years and I went for few acupuncture sections and massage. It partially help, but does not fully recover from how I used to be. The injuries limited my strength and movement and became a burden even a stretching. Please kindly advice/share me your experiences, I wish to get rid of it.  Thank you 😊
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• I found Peter Vail's dissertation again. Unfortunately, he does not cite the Burmese Chronicle: Vail repeats the omission in his article: MODERN "MUAI THAI" MYTHOLOGY.
    • Great Step Taken. I would always admire Lumpinee as an inspiration!!!
    • I wanted to comment on this theme of MMA in regards also to what Kevin said on your last Muay-Thai Bones Podcast ep 26. Kevin spoke that he felt a red line had been crossed by allowing MMA in Lumpinee. He said He didnt want inferior MMA being shown there as one reason. He spoke of the inferior MMA of One Championship as compared to the UFC. Though the pool of fighters in One is smaller, it has for instance Team Lakay from the Philippines, and the Lee family of Hawaii:  Angela, Christian and now Victoria who could be champions in the UFC too, The UFC is best at exploiting and ruining the lives of its fighters who are subject to terrible contracts and endless bullying by this massive corporation.  Thank God One Championship exists, and many thanks to Chatri Sidyodtong for bringing Muay-Thai and Kickboxing into the program in 2018. The real problem of having MMA in Lumpinee is the problem of MMA itself. MMA usurped MuayThai years ago as the premier fighting art. In the early 90s when they had the first cage fights, it was also a contest of which style would prevail. Unfortunately BJJ 🤢 was the winner in those early years. Muay-Thai was only useful in standup, and striking could only prevail on the feet. If the fight went to the ground grapplers would prevail. Wrestlers, judokas jui jitsu, and sambo fighters could easily take down a stand-up fighter and submit or choke him out.  A third point which makes MMA the most attractive art is the streetfighting aspect which makes it more "realistic" to the bored average Western viewer. So MuayThai is seen as only one part, -and a less important aspect of MMA😢. What I am getting at basically is that from a Muay-Thai standpoint it would be better if MMA:                                         A) Never existed, or                                         B) Would just go away!😈
    • It was just announced that, starting January 8th of next year, Lumpinee will start promoting an afternoon show that is only children. There will be 4 bouts per card, starting at 1:30 PM. Children have been permitted to fight at Lumpinee for a long time, but there has always been a weight limit (and ostensibly an age limit, but I'm not sure what that was; the weight limit kind of takes care of the age limit at the same time) of 100 lbs. As it's been told to me by Legends and older fighters who entered Lumpinee at that 100 lbs minimum, it's a bit of a forgiving line and fighters sometimes had to eat and drink in order to try to hit 100 lbs, rather than anyone dropping down to it. This new show is lowering the weight limit to 80 lbs, which will allow younger fighters or will at least acknowledge what weight some of those fighters are actually at when they come to the stadium. The intention of the show is to give access and opportunity to dao rung or "rising stars" as they are called in Thai. It's unclear from the announcement who will be the promoter for this particular program, but it's in line with something that Sia Boat of Petchyindee had initiated and invested in for his own promotions prior to the most recent shutdowns from Covid. It is unlikely that this will include girls; but we'll see. Of note is that the graphic used for this announcement are two young fighters Jojo (red) and Yodpetaek (blue), two top young fighters are 12 and 13 years old, who recently fought to a draw on a high profile fight. Neither of these two fighters meet the weight requirement at 80 lbs.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts