Damo

Health Insurance in Thailand? In the Context of Covid-19

Hey everyone, new to the forum. Been training for about a year and just had my first fight in February. Once this whole Covid thing is over I’m planning on going to train in Chiang Mai for a year. I’ve just been wondering what everyone has done about health insurance/how you go about getting it as a foreigner over there/if it’s crazy expensive and not worth it, etc. Any advice on health insurance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! 

These are really great question. Damn, I wish I knew. Hopefully some will pop on. I wonder what kind of screening would be involved. If the government will subsidize any plan or approach just to stabilize the situation, or if this is pretty much impossible at the moment, even world wide.

I hope this might be helpful. I have corresponded with the agent below and he has been (unlike some other agents that provide health insurance in Thailand) very responsive. The provider has a form that needs to be completed re: medical history, and then there are a number of policy options. Some of my friends in CNX have insured through Pacific Cross, and recommend it. I hope this is helpful: 

--------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: Health Insurance Enquiry
To: Karuna Foundation <karunasiam@gmail.com>

Dear Michael, 

Currently, the lowest plan to best suit the OA visa requirement is our Standard Extra Plus plan. I have attached the brochure. We fully underwrite every policy allowing our clients to have a direct billing network across 360+ hospitals throughout Thailand allowing cashless treatment, not pay and claim. We have higher plans with better amounts of coverage (all attached). You must have outpatient included in whatever option you choose. 

If annual premium is a big concern we have ways to reduce the cost by adding what we call a deductible/excesses to the plan. This means you would pay the first amount of the deductible and we pay the rest. We take deductibles for Standard Extra plans and above.  

We have the no claims potential as well which is 10% the first year, 15% second and 20% third year ongoing.  

If you would like to apply you would need to complete the application form attached (please make sure every part of the form is filled in and any conditions underlined) and return with a passport copy. Once we receive the application a firm offer will be provided within 3-5 days of receipt.    

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if I can be of further assistance or you have any questions. 

Kind regards,

Jamie.

I asked Assist Thai Visa about insurance once and they sent me a list. I can't look at those things very well, I've never had insurance so understanding premiums and deductables and all that isn't something I'm familiar with. They're based in Chiang Mai, so you can go to their office when you move there (contact with them before is of course fine). We used them for our visa when we were in Chiang Mai, good group.

I've seen news about how pandemic insurance in Thailand is no longer offering lump-sum payments, but I don't know if these companies also insure non-Thais or not. I would assume they do, in order to have the news be available in English, but I don't know anything about what they are or whether having insurance on an "international" level is better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• I've been asking myself that a lot lately, as I keep working on it. I think we all have a 2.0, 3.0, 4.0... onward. It's a way to find a direction you want to develop and just f***ing go for it. For me, the "Sylvie 3.0" model is largely about feeling and the kinds of freedoms and lack of fear/tensions I want as a fighter. Those are really, really hard to accomplish. And there's no blueprint. It's a re-invention but also fixing a lot of bugs, making more efficient, offering better features, etc. to borrow from computer and application terminology. In the process of working toward Sylvie 3.0, I hit up against a lot of the old grooves and habits I have. Those are "bugs" in my system, to me. 
    • I fixed the graphic. We had a server mishap and lost many of the forum's posted photos, looks like this:
    • Hello! First of all I want to say that Ive been inspired by Sylvia that it is possible to combine a ketogenic diet with combat sports. Ive looked through all the Patreon resources that you have regarding this topic, and learned quite a bit! I do a ketogenic diet for therapeutic reasons (under the guidence of the researchers/doctors at https://www.paleomedicina.com/), but Im thinking about going back to doing BJJ. What Im curious about is how much fat Sylvia consumes, compared to proteins. Typical recommendations (Ketogains, Stephen Phinney, etc) say to eat 70-75% calories from fat (roughly 1:1 or 1.5:1 fat-to-protein ratio). They also tend to keep proteins and overall food intake on the high side, often 120-150g protein per day (1.2 to 2.0 grams per kg body weight). Unfortunately, the picture with Sylvia's macros which youve posted isnt rendering in for me, for some reason. Could you clarify what Sylvia's macros are, and roughly how much food she eats in a day (protein/fat)? And in periods when she is doing loads of training, does she primarily increase fats, or does she just increase the amount of food while keeping the macro-ratio the same? Does she do any type of targeted ketogenic diet (adding extra carbs around training times)? Personally Ive been recommended to eat a fat-to-protein ratio of 2:1 (80 % calories from fat), and if doing lots of exercise and sports, then additional food should be added at a 3:1 fat-to-protein ratio. Protein should be kept around 50-60g per day, or a bit higher if doing lots of training (0.8g protein per kg bodyweight). Finally, I want to share this article with you, I think it might be of some interest to you since Ive seen that you have a interest in our evolutionary past and how it affects our sports performance and diet requirements: https://www.paleomedicina.com/en/stone-age-diet-workout. According to the authors, such an animal food based approach to the ketogenic diet is what we are evolutionary adapted to, and they recommend it for athletes/sportsmen. As a sidenote, theyve published papers showing that this particular approach makes the addition of supplements (such as magnesium and electrolytes) unecessary (its aquired through the diet alone, especially through organ meats).
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Moderation. Small doses of quality alcohol are good for health. During the lockdown, I started making cocktails at home, mostly non-alcohol, but sometimes I added a bit of polish potato vodka. As for the smoking, I'm strongly against it. 
    • Very interesting guy. Didn't know much about him aside from that one video of him ragdolling a whitebelt in a bjj comp! Sounds like Inner Mongolian wrestling doesn't allow leg grabs - so I'm interested to see how the ties and locks contrast with the Thai Clinch. 
    • Lavell Marshall is a great interesting guy and his video tutorials were real good too. I wondered what happened to him! I guess now I know. Cheers for sharing!
    • Fascinating podcast on the culture of Inner Mongolian Bökh - described by Lavell Marshall, an American who has been living in the Inner Mongolian grasslands for a year and taking part in the competitions there. Mongolians have a reputation for being some of the toughest grappling competitors across the grappling arts (judo, sambo, sumo). Lavell himself is a Shuai Jiao champ - so hearing his take on what makes the Mongolian culture of wrestling so special is really interesting.  I particularly liked his description of the culture of play in wrestling training and the importance of feeling and connection to the land as a factor in wrestling performance.  Here's the link to the podcast: https://thousandholds.net/a-phonecall-to-the-inner-mongolian-steppe/ Sidenote: The Hero with a Thousand Holds is a an excellent project documenting folk wrestling styles. He's done great work on researching Irish Collar and Elbow - a  European folk wrestling style that was once incredibly popular.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts