Not sure if this question has already been covered elsewhere, and if it was, sorry for posting on that yet again, but i am wondering if anyone had any suggestions on getting rid of bad smell on the training gear, I have gloves and shinpads that I thought i was taking care of well enough and are still in a very good condition despite me using them for 4 years, but recently they started to smell quiet awful and I am not sure what (if anything) I can do to get rid of that smell. Most of the stuff I found online seems to talk about how to prevent the smell in the first place, but not how to deal with it once it is there.

Thank you

I brought my favorite gloves to Thailand, lets just say after 1 month of training intensely I had this nasty stench that would not go away. What I've tried was shoving dryer sheets (changing it every other day) and also, I kid you not, putting baby powder inside the gloves (I've tried the Snake 'Prickly heat' powder that I got from Thailand but I figured it would be the same with baby powder) On top of that, I tried not to use my favorite gloves for about a 2 weeks and ended up using my spare. Lets just say the stench faded away eventually. 

I don't know with shin-pads however, but I would maybe try putting it in a draw string bag with dryer sheets and smear baby powder on it. Leave it for a few days and see how that goes? 

Just make sure that its all dried up before you do the following. Hope this works for you! 

• Like 1

I always used to use talc or baby powder on my new goatskin rugs to get rid of the smell - if it can shift goat, then I reckon dusting your kit with it ought to work!

Also: I wash my handwraps after every single use...I think that can help a lot too. I always hang my gloves out somewhere to dry in lots of air, and every now and again squirt the insides with febreeze, or similiar product. Could try squirting some perfume into them them instead. I wash my shinguards (they're the cotton variety) in a washing machine every week or two.

Stinky kit - yeurghh!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Now you don’t need to quarantine to enter Thailand looking to go by end of this year/ early next for 1 month. Can anyone help with gyms id like the gym to have -proper thai training with good trainers not all touristy but not super old school.  -Thai and western fighters so trainers can work with westerners but it’s not full of tourists -opportunity to fight at end of month  -accom in gym or very close  -dosnt need to be super clinch focused but good clinch as thats my weakness  -good trainers with good instruction for westerners  -preferably in Chang Mai as it’s the cheapest and on a budget -don’t need all fancy equipment and stuff  I like the look of santai Muay Thai, hongthong and boon lanna if anyone has experience with them? Thanks for anyone who can help. 
    • Question for Sylvie! When you made the transition to Southpaw….I’m assuming all of your orthodox combos and strikes had a natural flow to them because that was first for you. ..Im wondering how long it took to get a that natural flow in your Southpaw stance?  Also,  if you have any tips on the transition other constant practice in southpaw. Either way thank you for reading this. Have an amazing day!    - Mike C. 
    • I've read that internal and external martial artists are striving for the same goal, just in opposite directions. The external artists train the form and refine the technique, strengthening the body from the outside in. The internal martial artists trains the structure and refines the technique, strengthening the body from the inside. In that way, external arts would be working with colors and the internal artists would be working with line drawings. Both can make a complete picture but both together would be a powerful combination. I'm a stroke survivor that's always been into fitness. I've also had the unfortunate luck of being in a physical altercation while in my current condition. At the the time, i was able to perform optimally. Thankfully he was drunk and we weren't alone but i still had to defend myself initially. Every since then, I've been researching the most effective combination of martial arts to end fights and improve my balance. You ever meet me in real life, you'll learn that I'm a massive nerd. However, I'm also into fitness, so forming this theory has been very interesting. Bruce Lee's approach to the philosophy of the creation of Jeet kune Do was my place to start. However, his mother art was wingchun and he used methods from other systems to make a more comprehensive system, creating the foundation for MMA. The main 2 styles I found were Muay Thai and Yiquan.  I feel Muay Thai is excellent in the sense of a comprehensive striking system and Yiquan requires you to slow your movements down to fine tune the little balance issues i have. I understand i have no real fight experience and that has been an obstacle but i have experience in physical training and am ready to take advice and criticism
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• I can recommend you to visit Kst Muay Thai.. For the Time Being, you can learn the fundamentals of Muay Thai by yourself. That could be done though reading Blogs!! Like Muay Thai Citizen, Fight Supplies, Team Elite etc. But combat sports must be performed with another person. You can develop negative habits that are tough to break if you don't have someone to correct your form. Training with an instructor is by far the most effective way to learn.
    • Hello everybody =) I'm a muaythai researcher from Brazil. I'm looking for information about the best current muaythai trainers in Thailand, unfortunately I didn't find any consistent information.   Can someone help me?
    • I think what's more important than scent is how effective they actually are. In my experience once gloves smell bad, there's no going back. I'd love to find a solution that works.
    • Exceptional display of courage.  Stood up until the end.
    • Hey, I'm familiar with the struggles with partnering with beginners.  Once is a while is fine, but you don't get as much out of the class as you would with someone at your level.  Here are things I've done in the past: 1) ask the advanced women to come help me train (either in class of outside of class)  2) invite the women that are less advanced, but seem keen on learning, to train with me outside of class, say casually for just techniques (I specified no sparring).  Also give them opportunity to suggest what to work on during those times you train together.  The 2nd one was very hard initially for me, as it involved setting up this new group training.   Our gym had ladies' sparring before that ended in disasters, so I tried to steer us away from that.  Also talking to be ppl I don't know and managing multiple new relationships makes me very anxious and mentally exhausted. But that investment of energy pays dividends -  I started this a few years ago and I have a few women from there that developed a lot since and partners when me in class consistently.  We train together outside of class also.  We even met up in parks to train when the gym got shutdown during covid (but small groups outdoor gatherings were allowed).
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts