Going to Thailand for the first time! Best Gym?

luckykal

Hello!

I trained Muay Thai for 1 year long time ago followed by 6 years of boxing on a pretty high level then a long break. I wanted to start Muay Thai again and my intentions are to win the Championship belt of my country within 1.5 years! I got hired on a "Seasonal Job" which means I work 7-8 months and I am free for 4-5 months on the coldest months which allows me to travel to Thailand and train! I strongly believe in Investing Thailand trips to increase my chanses of success back home!

My first trip to Thailand this year will be for 3 months (Seems like a decent amount of time for a first-timer in Thai) I really don't care about what city, I just want as good training and development as possible, and I'm just going to Thailand to train. Train-Eat-Nap-Train-Eat-Sleep

What I'm looking for In a Gym:

• Not to crowded/commertial (Like TMT)
  • A gym where I can get alot of focus from the trainers 
  • A Trainer/Trainers who are really good (Former Lumpinee/Rajadamnern champs?) and with a good/long fighting history
  • A gym where they focus on proper technique, balance etc (Some gyms are more like cardio-sessions)
  • Possibility to live at the camp (With AC)
  • Possibility to eat at the camp (Pref Package price which include Food, Accomedation and training)
  • Friendly atmosphere (Social/Encouraging/Funny trainers, friendly people and possibility to make friends)
  • Train 2 times/day + Run (Pretty standard in most gyms I know

(This is not a must, but It would be nice If the gym has a webpage where you can see package prices and book etc easier)

That's about It

Please share your thoughts and tips!

Cheers!

Luckykal

Edited by luckykal

• luckykal changed the title to Going to Thailand for the first time! Best Gym?

You'd have to hear from someone who has trained there recently, but an option to think about is Samart's gym in northern Bangkok. It's not going to be crowded like the most hyped gyms. It has the benefit of being run by Samart, perhaps the greatest Muay Thai fighter of all time, and a WBC World boxing champion (going with your background). I'm not sure how much Samart does in the training, but his brother Kongtoraneee was perhaps an even more accomplished MT fighter, and also fought for a WBC boxing championship is there. So you have a proper fusion of boxing and Muay Thai. Again, you would have to hear from someone who has trained there recently, gyms change all the time. It's kind of an off-the-circuit, but still reputable gym.

https://web.facebook.com/samartpayakaroongym

Hello mate and thank you for your input!

I checked em out earlier, it's aliiiiitle to expensive for me sadly 150000 BAHT for AC accomodation + Training for 3 months. I know you could probably knock the price down ALOT by going to a cheap hotel nearby instead, i'll have to think about It. 

I would love someones input on these gyms, I had like 15 gyms on my radar from scouting on 8limbsus, Reddit & Youtube, and I have checked prices, quailty of training, schedules, vibe of the gym on youtube etc etc. And so far I have narrowed it down to this:

(Most interested from top to bottom)

• sitsongpeenong (My favorite so far. Seems to be VERY high level, home of Sittichai who trains there often and atmosphere seems super friendly, also I like their schedule alot. Seems to be a good mix of Farangs & Thais so English is sufficient)
  • Sitjaopho (Found this yesterday, no website but I talked with them alittle on FB and awaitng answers on prices and accomodation options etc) Brothers seem to LOVE to teach proper Muay Thai, English is very good for Thai, good mix between Farangs/Thai, High Level, Good Schedule and they seem to put alot of emphasis on teaching proper technique [Edit] This is actually split first place with sitsongpeenong, as a Swede I heard they often have many Swedes there, also atmosphere seems 10/10
  • singpatong-sitnumnoi (Seems very hardcore, i think i would grow alot here)
  • Santai (Heard alot of positive reviews, but somehow feels alittle to amateur-like?)
  • Khunsuek (Seems nice, Superbons gym but feels alittle to commertial for my taste, also what I heard its more of cardio sessions rather than technique 
  • Attachai (Waiting for their website to come online, just says "coming soon"

That's what I got so far.

Edited by luckykal

On 1/24/2023 at 7:22 AM, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

You'd have to hear from someone who has trained there recently, but an option to think about is Samart's gym in northern Bangkok. It's not going to be crowded like the most hyped gyms. It has the benefit of being run by Samart, perhaps the greatest Muay Thai fighter of all time, and a WBC World boxing champion (going with your background). I'm not sure how much Samart does in the training, but his brother Kongtoraneee was perhaps an even more accomplished MT fighter, and also fought for a WBC boxing championship is there. So you have a proper fusion of boxing and Muay Thai. Again, you would have to hear from someone who has trained there recently, gyms change all the time. It's kind of an off-the-circuit, but still reputable gym.

https://web.facebook.com/samartpayakaroongym

Tbh I was set for Manop gym, but after doing some more reasarch and talking with the kind people on Samart gym I decided to go for Samart. Boxing is quite a weak like in many muay thai gyms and I really think that as you said it would benefit me the most due to a good blend. Muay Femur + Boxing. 

I've looked at some people training there and they all seem very friendly. Only concern I have, how Is his and his brothers English? Is it enough to understand correction of technique, pads etc?

• Nak Muay 1

I don't really remember their English because Sylvie spoke to them in Thai. I believe Kongtoranee though was a trainer in Singapore for some time, which usually means workable English. Cool that you did research and you feel good about it. Let us know how it turns out.

Also, if you are there for a while consider taking a private with Chatchai Sasakul whose gym is not that far (a taxi ride). Former WBC boxing champion and one of the best boxing coaches in all of Thailand. There is tons of his stuff in the Muay Thai Library:

On 1/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, luckykal said:

Tbh I was set for Manop gym, but after doing some more reasarch and talking with the kind people on Samart gym I decided to go for Samart. Boxing is quite a weak like in many muay thai gyms and I really think that as you said it would benefit me the most due to a good blend. Muay Femur + Boxing. 

I've looked at some people training there and they all seem very friendly. Only concern I have, how Is his and his brothers English? Is it enough to understand correction of technique, pads etc?

Some of my Finnish muay thai trainers go to Kongtoranee's gym on a regular basis, and my guess is that the English used is understandable. They've got a facebook page (Kongtoranee Muaythai by Twins Finland) but there's no info on prices etc. 

• 2 months later...

A friend has recently been training at Khao Lak Muay Thai and says its a really fun and vibrant atmosphere but serious enough for intermediate/advanced students. No egos or steroid-heads. I had a look at the website and seems to tick all your boxes. He also said Khao Lak is a much better environment for training than Phuket or elsewhere without the usual distractions 

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Translation:  (Continued from the previous edition (page?) … However, before being matched against Phadejsuk in the Royal Boxing program for His Majesty [Rama IX], The two had faced each other once before [in 1979]. At that time, a foreign boxer had already been booked to face Narongnoi, and the fight would happen regardless of who wins the fight between Narongnoi and Phadejsuk. … That foreign boxer was Toshio Fujiwara, a Japanese boxer who became a Muay Thai champion, the first foreign champion. He took the title from Monsawan Lukchiangmai in Tokyo, then he came to Thailand to defend the title against Sripae Kiatsompop and lost in a way that many Thai viewers saw that he shouldn’t have lost(?). Fujiwara therefore tried to prove himself again with any famous Nak Muay available. Mr. Montree Mongkolsawat, a promoter at Rajadamnern Stadium, decided to have Narongnoi Kiatbandit defeat the reckless Fujiwara on February 6, the following month. It was good then that Narongnoi had lost to Phadejsuk as it made him closer in form to the Japanese boxer. If he had beaten Phadejsuk, it would have been a lopsided matchup. The news of the clash between Narongnoi and Toshio Fujiawara, the great Samurai from Japan had been spread heavily through the media without any embellishments. The fight was naturally popular as the hit/punch(?) of that spirited Samurai made the hearts of Thai people itch(?). Is the first foreign Champion as skilled as they say? It was still up to debate as Fujiwara had defeated “The Golden Leg” Pudpadnoi Worawut by points beautifully at Lumpinee Stadium in 1978, and before that, he had already defeated Prayut Sittibunlert and knocked out Sripae Kaitsompop in Japan, so he became a hero that Japanese people admired, receiving compliments from fans one after another(?). Thus the fight became more than just about skills. It was (advertised as?) a battle between nations by the organizing team, consisting of promoter Montree Mongkolsawat, Somchai Sriwattanachai representing the “Daily Times(?),” Mahapet of “Muay Thai” magazine, and Palad of “Boxing” magazine were also present, and they named the show in a very cool(?) way, “The Battle of the Fierce Samurai.” Even “The Smiling Tiger of Ayothaya” Narongnoi who was never afraid or shaken was affected by the advertising, confessing to the media that he felt a little scared, unlike usual when he faced other Thai boxers like himself. “Why are you scared?” “Maybe because the opponent is a foreigner. There’s news that he is very talented.”  “So you’re afraid that if you lose to him in our own home, it will give us a bad name and be very shameful for you.” “Yes! But my heart knows that I can’t lose because I am fighting in my own country. And in any case, he probably won’t/wouldn’t be better than our boxers. “But he has defeated many of our famous boxers such as Pudpadnoi-Prayut-Sripae. To tell the truth, he must be considered a top boxer in our country.” “Yes, I know” Narongnoi admitted, “but Pudpadnoi could not be considered to be in fresh form as he had been declining for many years and could only defeat Wangprai Rotchanasongkram the fight before(?). [Fujiwara] fought Prayut and Sripae in Japan. Once they stepped on stage there, they were already at a huge disadvantage. I trained especially well for this fight, so if I lose to Fujiwara, my name will be gone(?) as well.” “The Battle of the Fierce Samurai” was postponed from February 6 to February 12, but Thai boxing fans were still very excited about this matchup, wanting to see with their own eyes how good the spirited Japanese boxer was, and wanted to see Narongnoi declare the dignity(?) of Thai boxers decisively with a neck kick, or fold the Japanese fighter with a knee. Win in a way that will make Thai people feel satisfied.   [Photo description] Narongnoi Kiatbandit used his strength to attack Fujiwara, a fake Muay Thai fighter until Fujiwara lost on points.   Fujiwara flew to Bangkok 2-3 days before the fight. The organizers of the show had prepared an open workout for him at Rajadamnern Stadium for advertising purposes. Many press reporters and boxing fans crowded together to see Fujiwara. Their annoyance increased as all he did for three rounds was punch the air [shadowboxing], jump rope, and warm up with physical exercises. After finishing the first three rounds, he was asked to put on gloves and do two rounds of sparring with a person who was already dressed and waiting. However, Fujiwara’s doctor told him that it was unnecessary. This time he had come to defeat a Thai boxer, not to perform for the show. Photographers shook their heads and carried their empty cameras back to their printing houses, one after another. In addition to measuring the prestige of the two nations, the fight between Narongnoi and Fujiwara was also wagered on, with a budget of 1 million baht. Narongnoi was at 3-2 in odds, and someone had prepared money to bet on the Japanese underdog, almost a million baht. Only “Hia Lao” Klaew Thanikul, who had just entered the boxing world, would bet 500,000 baht alone, and the Japanese side would only bet a few hundred thousand. The only person who truly bet on Narongnoi’s side was Chu Chiap Te-Chabanjerd or Kwang Joker, the leader of the “Joker” group, supported by Sgt. Chai Phongsupa. The others could not bet because the Japanese side ran out of money to bet on. Narongnoi’s disadvantage would be that it would be the first time that he will fight at 134 lbs. However, he would have youth and strength on his side, as well as having trained Muay Thai in Thailand(?). Narongnoi was only 22 years old, while Fujiwara was already 33. His 33 years did not seem to be a concern in terms of strength as he had trained very well and never knew the word “exhaustion.” Fujiwara had an abundance of endurance, to the extent that the Japanese could trust him completely on this issue. Yes [krap], when the day came, Rajadamnern Stadium was packed with boxing fans of all ages. The entrance fee was set at 100-200 and 400 baht per person, and the total raised was over 900,000 baht, less than ten thousand baht short of reaching the million baht mark. This means that the number of viewers was more than double that of the special events (200-400 baht per person) nowadays. Even though it was more exciting than any other fight in the past, Narongnoi Kiatbandit, the 130 lbs champion, was able to completely extinguish Toshio Fujiwara by throwing his left leg to the ribs every now and then. This made “the Samurai” unable to turn the odds(?) in time because Narongnoi would always stifle him. Fujiwara could only rely on his physical fitness and endurance to stand and receive various strikes until his back and shoulders were red with kick marks. After 5 rounds, he lost by a landslide, with no chance to fight back at all. Most of the audience was pleased, but there were some who complained that Narongnoi should have won by knockout, which was not easy as Fujiwara had already established that he was the best in Tokyo. If it were any other Japanese boxer, it would be certain that he would not have survived. “Am BangOr” wrote in the “Circle of Thoughts" column(?) of the boxing newspaper at that time: “Then the truth came out to show that Toshio Fujiwara was not really that good at Muay Thai. He was beaten by Narongnoi Kiatbandit who only used his left leg. Fujiwara was frozen, bouncing back and forth with the force of his leg, and he lost by a landslide... The only thing worth admiring about this Sun Warrior is his endurance and excellent durability. For someone at the age of 33 like him to be able to stand and take Narongnoi's kicks like that, he must be considered quite strong. Why, then, did other Thai boxers lose to him? Monsawan-Sriprae-Pudpadnoi-Worawut have all helped strengthen this Japanese boxer. The answer is that their readiness was not enough(?). This victory of Narongnoi is considered to be the erasing of the old beliefs that were stuck in the hearts of Thais who were afraid that Japan would become the master of Thai boxing. It will probably be a long time and it will be difficult as long as Thai boxers can maintain our identity. But we cannot be complacent. If we are arrogant and think that the Japanese will not give up, we Thais may be hurt again because they will not give up. If we make a mistake today, he will have to find a way to make up for it tomorrow."
    • Sylvie wrote a really cool article about why sparring escalates, even when people are trying to go light. A gem from 10 years ago. https://8limbsus.com/blog/brain-science-sparring-gets-control-neurology-muay-thai
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• 3½ years late of a reply haha. I'm in Phuket and have went to quite a few physios. The best so far is Meaw at OptimiseFit at the Blue Tree in north Phuket. She doesn't dry needle me as another Dr. has here but all my muscle tension came back soon so it's a waste of money.
    • Don't know if this brand offers shin guards but might as well check them out. I bought a few pairs of shorts from them a while ago and was genuinely impressed. https://siamkickfight.com/
    • Hi all, I have paid a deposit to a gym in Pai near Chiang Mai to train at in January. I am now concerned about the pollution levels at that time of year because of the burning season. Can you recommend a location that is likely to have safer air quality for training in January? I would like to avoid Bangkok and Phuket, if possible. Thank you!
    • Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts