Jump to content
CatherineS

Muay Thai tattoos that aren’t Sak Yant?

Recommended Posts

I want to get a Muay Thai tattoo because it changed who I am as a person, my world perspective, yadda, yadda. The thing is, I’m not “legit” enough for a Sak Yant. I haven’t trained in Thailand, am not closely tied to Thai culture outside of Muay Thai, don’t consider myself a Buddhist, and would definitely feel like a bit of a fraud getting one. I *do not* look at other people in a similar position the same way so this isn’t a criticism of anyone in a similar situation who has gotten one.

The question is, are there any Muay Thai tattoos that aren’t Sak Yant that are not completely hokey or ridiculous? Or is this just best left alone and the idea scrapped entirely? Is it disrespectful to the tradition of the sport and would only serve to Westernize something not really meant for westerners outside of training?

I’m not looking for an answer I want to hear on some of the cultural questions. Seriously seeking some thoughtful considerations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 🙂 

SakYants Aren’t just for Muay Thai fighters, lots of people who aren’t fighters have Sak yants.

It’s a tradition too that is based on animalism and Magic so it not just Buddhism:) 
 

But if Sak Yants don’t resonate how about  finding a symbol that represents what Muay Thai means.... 

Like does training MT bring freedom? Maybe freedom written in Thai? Or something like that. 

I hope I’ve helped lol 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tattoos are quite personal, so whatever brings you association to your experiences with Muay Thai is appropriate. You could chose a word written in Thai, or an image (the things to consider here are if you get a mongkol, for example, placement has to be high on your body).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 1:04 AM, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Tattoos are quite personal, so whatever brings you association to your experiences with Muay Thai is appropriate. You could chose a word written in Thai, or an image (the things to consider here are if you get a mongkol, for example, placement has to be high on your body).

Thank you! That is good starting point for picking a design. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 2:06 AM, SHELL28 said:

Hi 🙂 

SakYants Aren’t just for Muay Thai fighters, lots of people who aren’t fighters have Sak yants.

It’s a tradition too that is based on animalism and Magic so it not just Buddhism:) 
 

But if Sak Yants don’t resonate how about  finding a symbol that represents what Muay Thai means.... 

Like does training MT bring freedom? Maybe freedom written in Thai? Or something like that. 

I hope I’ve helped lol 

 

Thank you! More good info. I thought about the word in Thai thing but soooo much could go wrong there. Kinda like the Chinese symbols that people got in the 90s and 2000s that are supposed to say freedom but actually translate to chicken diarrhea or some such ridiculousness. I sure don’t want to be that asshole. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 11:21 PM, CatherineS said:

Seriously seeking some thoughtful considerations. 

As others have mentioned, sak yant aren't really "for" Muay Thai. In fact they are seldom prominent in most prominent Thai Muay Thai fighters. They are kind of from the under-class of Thailand, much as perhaps tattoos in general were in western countries for a very long time. And, some of that under class become fighters. But...mostly they are just symbolic representations of protection, or power, believed in an an animistic level. A sak yant of a tiger may just be summoning up "tiger energy", the ability to command, stalking forcefulness, etc. It could apply to anything in life.

So...sak yant could just tap into or express the underfeelings of what Muay Thai has brought to you, without being some sort of "bro" appropriation. Your own attempt to get in touch with that thing, that meaningfulness. Or, maybe not.

In either case, I would say to just get in touch with that thing that Muay Thai has done for you, brought to you, and then find some representation that speaks to that for you. Maybe its nothing that looks like its related to Muay Thai at all...but YOU know it's about Muay Thai. Or, perhaps, if there is a particular heroic fighter who inspires you, then perhaps something related to their image.

As for words, Sylvie's discussed a series of Thai words that embody the spirit of Muay Thai, I'm sure she would double check the graphic for you before you got it tattoo'd. This was one: Ning:

1115080572_NingMuayThai.jpg.23667ef72aea964685b08d1af42d5eac.jpg

 

https://web.facebook.com/sylviemuaythai/photos/a.134623809905091/2636651226368991

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 11:34 PM, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

As others have mentioned, sak yant aren't really "for" Muay Thai. In fact they are seldom prominent in most prominent Thai Muay Thai fighters. They are kind of from the under-class of Thailand, much as perhaps tattoos in general were in western countries for a very long time. And, some of that under class become fighters. But...mostly they are just symbolic representations of protection, or power, believed in an an animistic level. A sak yant of a tiger may just be summoning up "tiger energy", the ability to command, stalking forcefulness, etc. It could apply to anything in life.

So...sak yant could just tap into or express the underfeelings of what Muay Thai has brought to you, without being some sort of "bro" appropriation. Your own attempt to get in touch with that thing, that meaningfulness. Or, maybe not.

In either case, I would say to just get in touch with that thing that Muay Thai has done for you, brought to you, and then find some representation that speaks to that for you. Maybe its nothing that looks like its related to Muay Thai at all...but YOU know it's about Muay Thai. Or, perhaps, if there is a particular heroic fighter who inspires you, then perhaps something related to their image.

As for words, Sylvie's discussed a series of Thai words that embody the spirit of Muay Thai, I'm sure she would double check the graphic for you before you got it tattoo'd. This was one: Ning:

1115080572_NingMuayThai.jpg.23667ef72aea964685b08d1af42d5eac.jpg

 

https://web.facebook.com/sylviemuaythai/photos/a.134623809905091/2636651226368991

Thank you! This is quite helpful for finding a place to start. Tattoos are permanent and I’m old enough to know that you do NOT want something permanently on your body if you aren’t 100% sure about it and of course I don’t want to be a disrespectful appropriating asshole. 
 

I appreciate you spending the time to clarify these things and providing some great insight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Most Recent Topics

  • Latest Comments

    • I've been asking myself that a lot lately, as I keep working on it. I think we all have a 2.0, 3.0, 4.0... onward. It's a way to find a direction you want to develop and just f***ing go for it. For me, the "Sylvie 3.0" model is largely about feeling and the kinds of freedoms and lack of fear/tensions I want as a fighter. Those are really, really hard to accomplish. And there's no blueprint. It's a re-invention but also fixing a lot of bugs, making more efficient, offering better features, etc. to borrow from computer and application terminology. In the process of working toward Sylvie 3.0, I hit up against a lot of the old grooves and habits I have. Those are "bugs" in my system, to me. 
    • I fixed the graphic. We had a server mishap and lost many of the forum's posted photos, looks like this:
    • Hello! First of all I want to say that Ive been inspired by Sylvia that it is possible to combine a ketogenic diet with combat sports. Ive looked through all the Patreon resources that you have regarding this topic, and learned quite a bit! I do a ketogenic diet for therapeutic reasons (under the guidence of the researchers/doctors at https://www.paleomedicina.com/), but Im thinking about going back to doing BJJ. What Im curious about is how much fat Sylvia consumes, compared to proteins. Typical recommendations (Ketogains, Stephen Phinney, etc) say to eat 70-75% calories from fat (roughly 1:1 or 1.5:1 fat-to-protein ratio). They also tend to keep proteins and overall food intake on the high side, often 120-150g protein per day (1.2 to 2.0 grams per kg body weight). Unfortunately, the picture with Sylvia's macros which youve posted isnt rendering in for me, for some reason. Could you clarify what Sylvia's macros are, and roughly how much food she eats in a day (protein/fat)? And in periods when she is doing loads of training, does she primarily increase fats, or does she just increase the amount of food while keeping the macro-ratio the same? Does she do any type of targeted ketogenic diet (adding extra carbs around training times)? Personally Ive been recommended to eat a fat-to-protein ratio of 2:1 (80 % calories from fat), and if doing lots of exercise and sports, then additional food should be added at a 3:1 fat-to-protein ratio. Protein should be kept around 50-60g per day, or a bit higher if doing lots of training (0.8g protein per kg bodyweight). Finally, I want to share this article with you, I think it might be of some interest to you since Ive seen that you have a interest in our evolutionary past and how it affects our sports performance and diet requirements: https://www.paleomedicina.com/en/stone-age-diet-workout. According to the authors, such an animal food based approach to the ketogenic diet is what we are evolutionary adapted to, and they recommend it for athletes/sportsmen. As a sidenote, theyve published papers showing that this particular approach makes the addition of supplements (such as magnesium and electrolytes) unecessary (its aquired through the diet alone, especially through organ meats).
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

    • Moderation. Small doses of quality alcohol are good for health. During the lockdown, I started making cocktails at home, mostly non-alcohol, but sometimes I added a bit of polish potato vodka. As for the smoking, I'm strongly against it. 
    • Very interesting guy. Didn't know much about him aside from that one video of him ragdolling a whitebelt in a bjj comp! Sounds like Inner Mongolian wrestling doesn't allow leg grabs - so I'm interested to see how the ties and locks contrast with the Thai Clinch. 
    • Lavell Marshall is a great interesting guy and his video tutorials were real good too. I wondered what happened to him! I guess now I know. Cheers for sharing!
    • Fascinating podcast on the culture of Inner Mongolian Bökh - described by Lavell Marshall, an American who has been living in the Inner Mongolian grasslands for a year and taking part in the competitions there. Mongolians have a reputation for being some of the toughest grappling competitors across the grappling arts (judo, sambo, sumo). Lavell himself is a Shuai Jiao champ - so hearing his take on what makes the Mongolian culture of wrestling so special is really interesting.  I particularly liked his description of the culture of play in wrestling training and the importance of feeling and connection to the land as a factor in wrestling performance.  Here's the link to the podcast: https://thousandholds.net/a-phonecall-to-the-inner-mongolian-steppe/ Sidenote: The Hero with a Thousand Holds is a an excellent project documenting folk wrestling styles. He's done great work on researching Irish Collar and Elbow - a  European folk wrestling style that was once incredibly popular.
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      968
    • Total Posts
      9,392
×
×
  • Create New...