Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

The Muay Thai Videography of Stillness and Color - vlogging the choices

I've started vlogging my experiences in early work with video and color to capture some of the elements I've been pursuing in still photography. You can check out the first two below:

What is principal here for me are all the ways that slowing down footage actually works to produce motion. It is all this micro-motion, which for me is like a kind of breathing, as if the form itself is breathing, that I find really interesting. This...and how color grading can work to building up atmosphere, a materiality of space, out of which the depicted form or focus emerges, is cloistered in, or erupts. This is something I seek in lots of my still photography. It's why I often try wider lenses. I feel like Muay Thai photography, and videography as well, has extracted too much from the surrounding nature, mechanizing it, alienating it, making an fragmentation. These video experiments are in that direction.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• I really hope you find your way out of this. Maybe it's time to figure out different angles of the "game" ? Fighting or exercising is one aspect. I am sure you know there are many different ways to explore the field. Physical, mental, practical, social. There are so many ways to be around the things we want. Some times (like these) it's an opportunity to step back from our routines and find ways to expand our approach.  Be well 😄
    • Any recommendations for ways to watch current Muay Thai (fights that actually happen in Thailand) in the US? The fights don't need to be live, or even very recent, but I'm hoping for something that's broadcast quality. I'm willing to pay for a good quality streaming service or cable channel. UFC's Fight Pass carries the Absolute Muay Thai promotion, with lots of Lumpinee and Rajadamnern fights up until March of 2020. That's the best I've been able to locate, but it's not ideal. I can't figure out if the announcers are ignorant or just trying to oversell to a US audience, but either way, they're annoying. The video quality is really good, though.  The fights also seem to be poorly attended. I see a lot of empty seats. Is that typical in the last few years?  
    • This thread has to be the best thing on this forum so far. 
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Any recommendations for ways to watch current Muay Thai (fights that actually happen in Thailand) in the US? The fights don't need to be live, or even very recent, but I'm hoping for something that's broadcast quality. I'm willing to pay for a good quality streaming service or cable channel. UFC's Fight Pass carries the Absolute Muay Thai promotion, with lots of Lumpinee and Rajadamnern fights up until March of 2020. That's the best I've been able to locate, but it's not ideal. I can't figure out if the announcers are ignorant or just trying to oversell to a US audience, but either way, they're annoying. The video quality is really good, though.  The fights also seem to be poorly attended. I see a lot of empty seats. Is that typical in the last few years?  
    • This study found that those with physical abuse in childhood (as differing from sexual abuse), had a heightened reaction to sad faces, due to the right amygdala (which broadly, maybe more stimulated in the follicular phase): Childhood Trauma History Differentiates Amygdala Response to Sad Faces within MDD
    • This study suggests that sexual abuse victims and those with PTSD have a heightened anxiety response to fearful AND neutral faces, through the left amygdala. In female fighters it is possible that Luteal Phase left amygdala stimulation could amplify this: read it here: Amygdala habituation to emotional faces in adolescents with internalizing disorders, adolescents with childhood sexual abuse related PTSD and healthy adolescents
    • one study: the left amygdalais more closely related to affective information encoding with a higher affinity to language and to detailed feature extraction, and the right amygdala to affective information retrieval with a higher affinity to pictorial or image-related material. Furthermore, the right amygdala may be more strongly engaged than the left one in a fast,shallow or gross analysis of affect-related information. read the study here: Differential_Contribution_of_Right_and_Left_Amygda.pdf They found in 17 normal subjects thatthe evaluation of unpleasant visual stimuli activated(among other regions) the left amygdala. This activa-tion not only held for fear-related, but for a wide rangeof unpleasant stimuli.Studying regional cerebral blood flow changes in re-sponse to the presentation of faces with different emo-tional expressions, has provided a major basis for es-tablishing a differential role of the left and right amyg-dala in cognitive information processing. Interestingresults were obtained in a series of studies by Mor-ris [85, 87, 88]. Morris et al. [85] found enhanced...On the other hand, Mor-ris et al. [87, 88] found a significant neural response inthe right, but not the left, amygdala to masked presen-tations of a conditioned angry face. Combined, thesefindings suggest that unconscious (masked) process-ing is mediated more readily by the right, and con-scious processing more readily by the left amygdala(among other structures).  
    • In some Follicular = left, Luteal = right from wikipedia, the amygdala Hemispheric specializations In one study, electrical stimulations of the right amygdala induced negative emotions, especially fear and sadness. In contrast, stimulation of the left amygdala was able to induce either pleasant (happiness) or unpleasant (fear, anxiety, sadness) emotions.[10] Other evidence suggests that the left amygdala plays a role in the brain's reward system.[11] Each side holds a specific function in how we perceive and process emotion. The right and left portions of the amygdala have independent memory systems, but work together to store, encode, and interpret emotion. The right hemisphere is associated with negative emotion.[12][13] It plays a role in the expression of fear and in the processing of fear-inducing stimuli. Fear conditioning, which occurs when a neutral stimulus acquires aversive properties, occurs within the right hemisphere. When an individual is presented with a conditioned, aversive stimulus, it is processed within the right amygdala, producing an unpleasant or fearful response. This emotional response conditions the individual to avoid fear-inducing stimuli and more importantly, to assess threats in the environment. The right hemisphere is also linked to declarative memory, which consists of facts and information from previously experienced events and must be consciously recalled. It also plays a significant role in the retention of episodic memory. Episodic memory consists of the autobiographical aspects of memory, permitting recall of emotional and sensory experience of an event. This type of memory does not require conscious recall. The right amygdala plays a role in the association of time and places with emotional properties.[14]
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts