Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

The Muay Thai Videography of Stillness and Color - vlogging the choices

I've started vlogging my experiences in early work with video and color to capture some of the elements I've been pursuing in still photography. You can check out the first two below:

What is principal here for me are all the ways that slowing down footage actually works to produce motion. It is all this micro-motion, which for me is like a kind of breathing, as if the form itself is breathing, that I find really interesting. This...and how color grading can work to building up atmosphere, a materiality of space, out of which the depicted form or focus emerges, is cloistered in, or erupts. This is something I seek in lots of my still photography. It's why I often try wider lenses. I feel like Muay Thai photography, and videography as well, has extracted too much from the surrounding nature, mechanizing it, alienating it, making an fragmentation. These video experiments are in that direction.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• If you're doing it at the same place, with the same coaches there probably won't be tons of difference in how you learn to punch and kick. Depending on where you go the rhythm is quite different. Kickboxing is fought with a lot more urgency because the fights are two rounds shorter + scoring favours aggression. It'll help your Muay Thai for sure. As for how they're different? It really depends on what sort of kickboxing you're learning. If you're learning what typically gets called 'K1 rules' nowadays, you're learning the same tools from Muay Thai, but without elbows and clinch work is much more limited (K1 used to allow for more clinching but Buakaw and Overeem were too dominant with it). Teeps are a rarity, Giorgio Petrosyan is the most dominant combat sport athlete of all time, and a large part of his success comes from shoves and teeps + that guy has beaten quite literally every top name except for Masato and a draw against Buakaw.  You should learn some clinch work, because in kickboxing you need to know how to punch and clutch, because the pace is so fast. I'd say it was probably just that particular class.  If your focus is Muay Thai, I'd suggest to train kickboxing every so often but I wouldn't focus  on it. If you'd rather kickboxing competition you can really stay and train in either, just so long as you're okay with losing weapons if you're training Muay Thai and competing in kickboxing, but you certainly won't be lost so long as you're sparring regularly with people who have a kickboxing style.
    • Here's a little update on my setup I had someone do a mural on the wall for inspiration. The next step is putting in some heavy bags and more gym equipment to make the work out area complete.
    • Nice, I'm glad you're back to it that's good to hear that places are still trying to provide services. My Muay Thai gym opened back up but had someone tested positive for COVID so they had to close back down but they are still going hard on the Zoom classes. I unfortunately got sick recently nothing related to COVID but it took me out for a while. I'm also just getting back to training again so I can share your enthusiasm.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts