Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I wonder if there is any supplemental strength training or conditioning methods that are specific for improving knee striking power, except for the high repetitions on hitting pads and the heavy bag. For example, could kettlebell swings help knee strikes? Since they both involve using hip hinges to throw your hips forward?

Edited by Francis
  • Like 1
Posted

I answered a similar question on Sherdog recently. Kettlebell swings are very good, but in my opinion the best exercise to immediately start activating the right muscles (while building balance) is what Da Rulk calls a 'hopscotch' or jumping lunge. 

 

Depending on how strong your balance or muscles are, at the end you'll eventually want to start jumping with this movement.

 

I would also recommend isometric holds, these will improve the height of your knees in addition to your kicks - train the obliques to pull that knee up higher and train the hips to be able to manage those heights.

 

Make sure you do these frequently - but they're not the full story. They'll help with your mobility, balance and strength, but really delivering knees with power, you just want to keep kneeing again and again on repeat, either dozens of times or hundreds of times depending on your experience level! 

  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
Posted

I was going to ask Sylvie about exercises to strengthen legs and balance in the morning but this  is what I needed. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Posted
9 hours ago, Jim said:

I was going to ask Sylvie about exercises to strengthen legs and balance in the morning but this  is what I needed. Thank you.

Glad I could help! Knee's can be really tricky, but those exercises will also really help with your kicking balance too

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...