Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Yeah I think you're right about him not have any mma fights, I think I might have misspoken about him having fights in a earlier reply, so that's my bad. I'm pretty sure he has amateur experience but I'm not totally sure, if you can find out that would be cool, but for now I'll just say he has no¬†competition experience of any kind just for arguments sake.¬† The next bit "his shit sounds like bro science. " Okay fair enough, it sure can, but just because something sounds like bro science doesn't make it so. As it is though I don't have all the answers and neither does any one else. Like I said in a earlier reply though the man's been around this game a long time, and in that time I'm sure he picked up a few things.¬† As for the "classy words and sciencey language", the man's a philosophy major and I'm sure this is just how he talks. Personally I'm pretty dumb but I feel like I can follow along reasonably well. But okay, I can still follow you here, and believe you can have your opinion to dislike him. Just understand that disliking him because how he talks doesn't mean he doesn't have valuable fight advice lol.¬† "beliefs about fighting and training aren't rooted in any real fight experience." Okay fair enough as I've said before I concede the fact he doesn't have any real competition¬†experience. One thing though, I know¬†that the man sparred regularly with GSP during his career. This might be a bit of a stretch but I'm betting that during some of these rounds the sparring ramped up to say 70/80% if not more at times. Now we will probably¬†disagree here but in my opinion sparring GSP regularly during his prime world champ years at 70/80% is probably very similar to low or maybe even mid level pros going 100%, which is a fight. Personally I'd call this fight experience. This is generally why in my opinion dutch style fighters with fewer pro fights can still do well against thais with hundreds of fights, take Jonathan Haggerty for instance with 20 fights or so under his belt he beat Sam A who has more that 400 hundred and been in the game like 30 years. Why because Jon more than likely has 400 really hard spars that are like fights and I think Firas has had the same during his tenure.¬†Like I said though this could be wrong but it's my opinion and¬†I'll continue to have it until I'm proven wrong.¬† In conclusion, you don't have to like this man, and as I've said earlier he's not the end all be all in my opinion but to act like this man has nothing to offer in terms of fight advice is just silly ( "Silly" in Joe Rogan's voice lol). You ever heard the saying you are the five people you surround yourself with, well this man surrounds himself with some pretty high level talent. What about this one, the best fighters don't always make the best coaches and the best coaches aren't always the best fighters. I didn't want this discussion to turn into a defense of¬†Firas Zahabi but whatever, I like him (admittedly bias), and I think he has something to offer the fight world.¬†As always thanks for the input.¬†
    • I don't know if Kenshin propagated it, because I've been hearing it since before he was on the internet - but it may have been him. I have been goofily trying to catch a non-existent kick from both a flared elbow and tighter elbow and I really don't think there is going to be a meaningful difference between them considering your arm is always going to be faster than your leg (unless something has gone horribly wrong). I was training with Damien Alamos shortly before he announced he was coming out of retirement, and we spent a lot of time exchanging and catching kicks and his preferred stance to each is the rear arm close to the body and the left arm higher and slightly extended (sort as if you were holding a knife pointing out at about face level - there wasn't any delay in the speed I could catch a kick, even as someone who was adopting a stance I'm not familiar with. Yeah it's really weird. I also think that people commonly misunderstand the difference between being a boxer, and being a puncher. There aren't many Thai's that have the same fearsome punching you'd expect of a kickboxer, but I usually find that Thais are better BOXERS in that even though their punching form is normally lacking, they do have a better understanding of distance and range and how to set up those punches. Good kickboxers like Cro Cop, Peter Aerts etc understand that whereas a guy like Robin Van Roosmalen would just swing and win because he's powerful. So I'll see guys in the gym who are doing bag only rounds trying to 'improve their boxing' but what they're actually doing is training their punching power, I usually tell them that they'll be better off in a boxing gym, or working with a¬† coach who understands boxing as a separate sport. Another I see a lot is the stiff leg muay thai kick, because so many people hear 'we don't bend the knee' and take it literally, rather than what it actually means being 'we don't chamber'.¬†¬†
    • I really enjoy this discussion. Funny how these ideas circulate. On lethwei catching kicks would make sense since you can only win by KO. But muay thai, yes it's a ridiculous idea punches like these would make catching kicks easier. I almost laughed when my teacher told me this but seems like it's a thing people actually believe.¬†
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Moderation. Small doses of quality alcohol are good for health. During the lockdown, I started making cocktails at home, mostly non-alcohol, but sometimes I added a bit of¬†polish potato vodka. As for the smoking, I'm strongly against it.¬†
    • Very interesting guy. Didn't know much about him aside from that one video of him ragdolling a whitebelt in a bjj comp! Sounds like Inner Mongolian wrestling¬†doesn't allow leg grabs - so I'm interested to see how the ties and locks contrast with the Thai Clinch.¬†
    • Lavell Marshall is a great interesting guy and his video tutorials were real good too. I wondered what happened to him! I guess now I know. Cheers for sharing!
    • Fascinating podcast on the culture of Inner Mongolian¬†B√∂kh - described by Lavell Marshall, an American who has been living in the Inner Mongolian grasslands for a year and taking part in the competitions there. Mongolians have a reputation for being some of the toughest grappling competitors across the grappling arts (judo, sambo, sumo). Lavell himself is a Shuai Jiao champ¬†- so hearing his take on what makes the Mongolian culture of wrestling so special is really interesting.¬† I particularly liked his description of the culture of play in wrestling training and the importance of feeling¬†and connection to the land as a factor in wrestling performance.¬† Here's the link to the podcast:¬†https://thousandholds.net/a-phonecall-to-the-inner-mongolian-steppe/ Sidenote: The Hero with a Thousand Holds is a an excellent project documenting folk wrestling styles. He's done great work on researching Irish Collar and Elbow - a¬† European folk wrestling style that was once incredibly popular.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts