On 11/24/2019 at 11:09 PM, Banana36 said:

Hi

So im 12.5stone. Am I considered heavy for a thai fighter? 

My experience from watching fights in Thailand for almost 2 years and training in Thailand for a year and a half tells me yes. 

I go to watch fights in Bangkok quite frequently and I don't think I've ever seen anyone above 72 kilo (if even 72 kilo). I don't have the exact weight classes for Lumpinee and Rajadamnern but mainly it ranges between 48kg and 72kg or around those numbers. Same at MBK for example (but you can see guys weighing around 70). At shows like Max and Muay Extreme SuperChamp etc weights tend to be a bit higher but above 76kilo I'm not sure...

The guys at my gym fight at the national stadia, asiatique, and superchamp and the heaviest (foreigner) is 72kg and the heaviest thai 66kg (he mainly fights 64kg). 

One of my previous trainers who is known internationally (Nonsai sor. Sanyakorn) fought at 165lbs. 

Buakaw, who I dare to say is considered "big", fights around 72 kilo same for Yodsanklai if I'm not mistaken. 

So I would say, at almost 80 kilo, yes you are considered big in Thailand. It doesn't mean though you don't get fights or good training. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Banana36 said:

Just had a read. I dont consider myself heavy as i am 5ft 8 so weight never realy bothered me. I understand that ill probably struggle to get paired? 

It's impossible to answer this as it depends on where you go and what other guys are training where you'll train and whether you'll fight a thai or foreigner. It won't be impossible but it might not be super easy. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Started muay thai about a month ago but used to do mma about 5 yrs ago(which is totally different), the problem i've got is i'm struggling to turn my hips over to get power in my kicks. Whats the best way to train to get my hips to turn to get power. TIA
    • Yea, Bags don't flinch and react to you and i find myself doing better when I spar, i learn what combo's dont work and what do
    • Hey, I just saw this now, I'm surprised nobody replied before.  When I was in Thailand in 2021/22, I also did several privates with Yodkhunpon and enjoyed it very much! I paid and did the sessions at Petchrungruang gym in Pattaya and the initial contact was made by Sylvie, whom I wrote on facebook (thanks again!). The sessions after that, I arranged directly with Yodkhunpon. Unfortunately I havent been back to Thailand since, so I like to read about other people's experiences, so keep writing people!  Has anyone been at Singha Mawyn in Bkk? Superbon used to train there, but more importantly the trainers are legends themselves e.g. Namsaknoi and Khaolan Kaovichit.  Would also be interested in reading about Kiatphontip just outside of Bkk,  and other semi-rural settings.    
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hey! I totally get what you mean about pushing through—it can sometimes backfire, especially with mood swings and fatigue. Regarding repeated head blows and depression, there’s research showing a link, especially with conditions like CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). More athletes are recognizing the importance of mental health alongside training. 
    • If you need a chill video editing app for Windows, check out Movavi Video Editor. It's super easy to use, perfect for beginners. You can cut, merge, and add effects without feeling lost. They’ve got loads of tutorials to help you out! I found some dope tips on clipping videos with Movavi. It lets you quickly cut parts of your video, so you can make your edits just how you want. Hit up their site to learn more about how to clip your screen on Windows and see how it all works.
    • Hi all, I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be traveling to Thailand soon for just over a month of traveling and training. I am a complete beginner and do not own any training gear. One of the first stops on my trip will be to explore Bangkok and purchase equipment. What should be on my list? Clearly, gloves, wraps, shorts and mouthguard are required. I would be grateful for some more insight e.g. should I buy bag gloves and sparring gloves, whether shin pads are worthwhile for a beginner, etc. I'm partiularly conscious of the heat and humidity, it would make sense to pack two pairs of running shoes, two sets of gloves, several handwraps and lots of shorts. Any nuggets of wisdom are most welcome. Thanks in advance for your contributions!   
    • Have you looked at venum elite 
    • 3½ years late of a reply haha. I'm in Phuket and have went to quite a few physios. The best so far is Meaw at OptimiseFit at the Blue Tree in north Phuket. She doesn't dry needle me as another Dr. has here but all my muscle tension came back soon so it's a waste of money.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts