Sign in to follow this  
Bruno

Western Style Boxing in Muay Thai Gyms in Thailand

I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with going to Muay Thai gyms and focusing solely on western style boxing.

I’ll be in Bangkok for Chinese New Year in February, and I want to train as much as I can while I’m there. My first choice was Sasakul’s gym, based on who he is and Slyvie’s recommendation. However, his place seems a bit far from the city center, and my travel mate is pretty set with where he wants to stay. I do hope to make it out there at least once, but I’ll most likely end up going to gyms that are more centrally located. My questions boil down to these:

Does anyone have any experience going to Muay Thai gyms and requesting boxing only training that they could share here?

Does anyone know of any gyms that might be better suited to this purpose?

Is there any kind of etiquette to asking for this sort of thing? Is this at all a common request made at gyms out there?

I do plan on learning some Muay Thai while out there, but I’ve been boxing for a while and I still compete out here in Taiwan, so my primary focus is always on that. The only other time I’ve been to Bangkok, I went to a Muay Thai gym near my hotel and requested a boxing workout. The pad holder was pretty good, but any kind of sparring or instruction was unavailable it seemed. I appreciate any kind of feedback y’all may have to give me.

I remember reading before that Chuwattana gym used to churn out some top Thai boxers, looking from the location it seems to be near the city center - though I have no personal experience there.

Anyway, I think you can go to any gym and ask them to hold boxing pads for you - I wouldn't have high expectations in the instruction aspect though. Ask some of the guys for boxing sparring too but don't use too much power.

Personally, I don't see any gym rejecting your money because you want to do boxing. The Thai fighters have days where they do boxing only pads, or if they hurt their leg they will do a boxing only day. 

Don't worry too much.

That’s great to know. I’ll definitely have a look around and I’ll try to post any information I can get on any places I find with actual boxing classes or helpful instruction/ sparring. Thanks for the info.

If you are able, you might find Chatchai Sasakul.He has a gym in Bangkok. He was a champion in both and teaches some very helpful concepts with weight transfer. Sylvie has a few posts involving him as she's trained with him a bit. 

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/4088

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• I love how your juxtaposition of different fighters’ craft is shared from first hand observation. I sense the awe and appreciation for each fighter's “chosen” style of preservation (for example, Samson v Karuhat). Especially given the mission - “Preserve the Legacy,” I think it is special to tap into individual modes of preservation bc each legend’s relationship to the art is absorbed and “shelved” differently in their mind and muscle memory. Thank you for this angle in the forum! 
    • Ill add that it might be good to find a partner of the same level both mentally and physically as you. If youre not hyper aggressive then sparring with one who is might be more of a challenge than you can handle right now. What Sylvie said about footwork and being able to see is dead on. Maybe find a partner you can do some live drills with before sparring. Drill mobing outve the way footwork at a slower speed to get the timing down then speed it up. Practice being at your optimal range instead of stuck inside where you have to shell. Then practice shelling and giving (shell up as partner throws a whatever number combo-2-3 then return fire). You can also spar with limitations like jab only or lead side weapons only. That helps keep things lighter and gets you to think during the exercise. The way I set up sparring is designed to create a level of comfort with it. We usually start with dutch style 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 (the shell and go type drill) to get them accustomed to the hit (make it less concerning) then we move to limited sparring like jab only, lead side etc. I start adding weapons until they are going full bore. By then theyve calmed down and they can really explore. A lot of the stress of sparring is gone. And we try and spar every class, at least twice a week. Its not for everyone but Ive had a lot of success with it especially for hobbyists. The fighters have claimed its made them less jittery before competition too. 
    • I actually understand this. Its similar to how I deal with things now. Going from angry person with an alter for being nice, growing into the nice and learning to have a switch for "business". It became a dimmer switch for me. I dont ever go fully emotionless, but there are levels to it. 
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Of course and I have no contacts.  Glad you see a way forward.  I’m a fan of how Nike is handling themselves in the US (Colin K Jersey etc).  Someone there has an advanced vision.  Will watch how you do this happily.
    • Yeah Danger is an off brand made in Thailand (Id never heard of em either). The top king are actually made more for foreigners now (as opposed to Thais) so the sizes fit well. Those are mediums and they cover perfectly. Lol when I was a skater I used to put stickers on everything. Hard to steal something that personalised. 
    • I'm not entirely sure I understand. The problem is speaking to the right person, the person who actually has her/his hand on a lever, and the kind of freedom and flexibility to exercise vision. There are not a lot of people like this is most companies. If you aren't talking to the right people you are just wasting your time, unfortunately! I have a very good feeling about this though. I can intuit that it's going to break open in a very good way.
    • For me it is like this: modernity will run roughshod over and through traditions. It's just going to steamroll it all. If we who love Muay Thai aren't careful we will be like someone running out of a burning house grabbing only a few things to save. What do we want to save...because it's probably only going to be a few things that will last 20 or 30 years from now. Is what we save going to be the prohibition of women touching the ring (itself a modern invention), or is it going to be the marvelous men and techniques of an era that everyone agrees is the height of the sport. We are close to choosing the wrong thing to save. I believe women, and Thai female fighters in particular, and play instrumental roles in saving some of the most valued, most cherished parts of Muay Thai tradition. In the west we don't understand, nobody really cares or follows the reasoning of the bottom rope. Kaensak, a legend of the sport, thought Sylvie was joking when she told him to hold her mongkol in Thailand, so she could go under the bottom rope. We are saving the wrong things, and losing the important things. As to female fighting in the country, I take an ecological view. The female fighters of Thailand are the best there have ever been. It's a martial art, fighting art resource. We need to think ecologically about how to protect, and even grow that resource. If we do it can be a Ganges to female fighting all over the world.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts