I've had a couple of mild concussions from sparring before - one from a straight punch and the other from a palm strike. I would say it took around 3-5 days before I no longer experienced lightheadedness/dizziness. I've never really taken time off from a concussion because they happened during fight training but I think I would've benefited from at least the next day off. But I always made a point to not take any shots to the head in sparring and avoid anything that might shake the head around too much (jumping up and down, burpees, etc) for the next couple of weeks afterwards. I am now very wary of hard sparring 1-2 weeks out from a fight.

I had a concussion from being thrown in a fight. Directly after the fight was bad. I couldn't remember much other than snippets from a few moments after the throw until an hour after the fight. Apparently I was asking if I'd been knocked out over and over again; like, every 30 seconds for an hour. When I came out of that I didn't have a lot of symptoms other than fogginess and having a hard time multi-tasking. So I took it easy for about a week to really monitor everything and heal up. But I didn't have light or sound sensitivity, no headaches, just kind of zoned out.

I think I was really fortunate in how mild my symptoms were and how quickly they resolved. When I did go back to training I was careful not to do sparring or anything where I'd get hit in the head, but I did fight not too long after. I've not experienced any problems or recurrences, but anytime I act "strangely" my husband asks if I'm concussed. He's not joking or teasing and I don't see my strangeness when he mentions it, so maybe it is a lingering symptom and maybe he's just sensitive. Not sure.

• 2 months later...

I've never been concussed through sparring, but plenty of times through riding and general clumsiness (like the time i jumped out of a car and forgot to duck - I smashed my head into the car door frame and not only gave myself a lovely concussion but compressed three of my neck vertebrae to boot). I find I feel pretty washed out for a day or two afterwards, and slightly 'behind events' for a little while.

Getting concussed has never stopped me continuing to ride (or, regretfully, stopped me being clumsy) but I wouldn't do anything like drive until I felt I was back on top of things. Obviously though don't continue with any contact sport or risk activities until the concussion is completely cleared up; getting a second one on top of an existing one would be a very bad idea! I doubt getting concussed through Muay Thai would stop me wanting to spar etc - probably would just really teach me to hold a better guard next time!

Do you do the neck exercises that involve biting down on a rope and lifting weight for X amount of reps? It's pretty common in Thai-style training, and fits with the research connecting head to neck circumference as factor in concussion risk. If not, it might be a great thing to add to help prevent re-injury. 

Since I've started doing that consistently, I haven't felt "rocked" in a fight...despite being kicked in the dome here or there :-D 

• Like 1