Mike Lebek

Gym in Town, or take the plunge and move to thailand for a month of training.

Home of the laid off workers now, Calgary Alberta Canada - once the heart of oil country now boasts in lay offs throughout all the province. There arent a lot of options for work. Got a lay off and will no longer be working my boring ass 9-5 office job, a blessing but also tough since where else do I make my money. 

I have a little but of money to pay for some muay thai for 6 months (800 bones is what its going for, this is standard here). so 6 months of 4 days a week muay thai, or thailand training campy for 3 weeks. 

I registered for a course at the university and that will take up the semester, right now - I could potentially postpone this since there arent many jobs anyways, but maybe its useful for making a living online, I am pretty intuitive with design and website building and just need some clients I guess to do some work for - I want to do it for free to start out. Sorry just went on about randomness.... 

So Thailand or home gym? has anyone had to face a layoff and then just packup and go? I have been to thailand and tried to train at horizon camp in kho phagan - but it was shut down! I want to train on an island and not in a city, I am tired of the city. I feel like Phuket is where I want to go, I havent fought competitively but i would say im intermediate to advanced depending on the gym.

I guess I need some sort of guidance here. 

Thanks guys! 

Mike

Home of the laid off workers now, Calgary Alberta Canada - once the heart of oil country now boasts in lay offs throughout all the province. There arent a lot of options for work. Got a lay off and will no longer be working my boring ass 9-5 office job, a blessing but also tough since where else do I make my money. 

I have a little but of money to pay for some muay thai for 6 months (800 bones is what its going for, this is standard here). so 6 months of 4 days a week muay thai, or thailand training campy for 3 weeks. 

I registered for a course at the university and that will take up the semester, right now - I could potentially postpone this since there arent many jobs anyways, but maybe its useful for making a living online, I am pretty intuitive with design and website building and just need some clients I guess to do some work for - I want to do it for free to start out. Sorry just went on about randomness.... 

So Thailand or home gym? has anyone had to face a layoff and then just packup and go? I have been to thailand and tried to train at horizon camp in kho phagan - but it was shut down! I want to train on an island and not in a city, I am tired of the city. I feel like Phuket is where I want to go, I havent fought competitively but i would say im intermediate to advanced depending on the gym.

I guess I need some sort of guidance here. 

Thanks guys! 

Mike

My rule of thumb for decisions like this are: What is more likely to change the direction of my life? You've already been to island Thailand, so you know what that is about. Maybe intuit which choice is likely to lead you into a new direction?

Sorry that you lost your job. It always sucks, even if your job wasn't awesome.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input - appreciate it! So I just signed up for a six month membership to a muay thai club in town. and in 6 months I will re-evaluate, who knows maybe ill see you in thailand! 

Looking forward to becoming more involved in your forum! 

Mike

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• This short essay series also confronts the aesthetics of Muay Thai, as a practice. Arguments that Westerners often come to train in Thailand as a matter of a project of aesthetics.      
    • I'm just going to respond generally here. I think at 70 kg your best bet would be a gym in Phuket, because I'm not sure it would be easy to get a fight with a Thai in other parts of the country? Perhaps there are really experienced Thai female fighters in Chiang Mai who fight at 60? At least in Phuket you'd have a better chance of being matched up against another larger westerner as well? We're a little blind on the state of fighting promotions in Chiang Mai and Phuket, in the COVID era, but it seems that Phuket is having more regular shows than Chiang Mai at this point. In terms of gym recommendations though, we really don't know Phuket gyms, personally. Phuket Fight Club is a very powerful gym in Phuket that features a lot of Brazilian fighters on shows, that seems to teach a very disciplined, kick-oriented, balanced attack (based on how they seem to fight). At least with the good sized gym like that you'd have suitable training partners, and they should be able to get you fights...but this is just a view from afar.
    • I'll be going to Thailand for 2-3 months next summer with my aim being training as much as possible and hopefully fighting. I've only had 2 fights, by the time I go I'm hoping to have had 3. One thing that I believe might cause me issues is the fact that I'm pretty big, 5'9 and walk around at about 70kg. In the west it's not that big of a problem, I always train with men because there is never any girl my size and I don't mind it at all, but I wonder if that could be an issue in Thailand. I'd also like to add that while I'm looking to develop my whole game and work on my weaknesses, I'm naturally a long range counter fighter and kicks have always been my best asset. I also have a kyokushin karate background. I've always been most comfortable keeping range and scoring on the back foot, no matter how hard my karate coaches have tried to change it, so I'm looking for a gym that would best suit my style.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Thank you 🙂 I asked my coach too ( Ganyao Arunleung) and in his golden age fashion said it doesn't matter, it's the heart that matters 😄😂💖 I told him Muay Thai is the love of my life (just don't tell my husband 😉😄). I think I'll put the amulet on the rim right before the tail comes together. Or I'll wear it with a necklace and find another for the Mongkol.  It will all come together as meant to be at the right time 🤞🏻
    • I train at Pacific Ring Sports on Telegraph and 40th. What about you?
    • Amulets can go anywhere on the rim of the Mongkol, the only place I don't see them is on the tail. The hair can be put inside fabric and tied on to the Mongkol, or put in a fabric that gets integrated into the wrapping.  My mom's skirt was cut into long strips and twosted very tightly, then wrapped around the tube that's the shape of the Mongkol and glued into place.
    • This is so cool.  Where do you train? I leave on the Bay Area.  
    • Hello,  I made my own Mongkol as the gym I train at doesn't have a gym Mongkol to dress fighters with. I also bought an amulet that, long story short, feels like it was meant to be, but its bigger than I expected and covers my whole forehead ( not so much vanity concern, but more size ratio awkwardness) if placed in the front center of the Mongkol.   Is it allowed to place the amulet at the back or side of the Mongkol? Also I have some of my sons hair to put on my Mongkol,  but don't know where it's supposed to be placed as well if anyone knows.  Lastly, I saw Silvies YouTube on how she had her mom's skirt made into her monkol and it had a little axe amulet. I have a fabric I wore back when traveling, and now as a mom and muay thai fighter, I want to make it into a Mongkol for my son (whether he continues with the sport again the future or not, at least he would have a monkol made from his mom's fabric). Is there any way to see a tutorial on how they actually made the fabric Mongkol (it looked twisted in a certain way but I don't know how).  I have an arrow amulet I want to add on either my or my son's Mongkols, but again the sizing of it in comparison to the actual Mongkol seem uneven.  Anyways , any answers would be greatly appreciated.  
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts