Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Dunno...in some ways I think the biggest challenge is the other way - when boxing to remember that you can't kick your opponent... :teehee:

 

haha. I totally agree with that.

What was your background before diving into MT?

Posted

Martin: About 15 years ago I did taekwondo for less than a year... that's it for martial arts until I accidently started MT a few years ago. During our sessions my trainer sometimes puts in purely boxing rounds to help me concentrate on specific aspects. I've been trying to join a boxing club but there's quite a lot of difficulties involved (erratic shift work, travel time, not much money, other life things).

  • Like 1
Posted

Martin: About 15 years ago I did taekwondo for less than a year... that's it for martial arts until I accidently started MT a few years ago. During our sessions my trainer sometimes puts in purely boxing rounds to help me concentrate on specific aspects. I've been trying to join a boxing club but there's quite a lot of difficulties involved (erratic shift work, travel time, not much money, other life things).

 

oh taekwondo. didn't you get any challenge as you transitioned from a "leg-heavy" martial art into MT (though MT is using legs too but as we know taekwondo kicks are different from MT)?

Posted

Marvin: I only did TKD for a few months, and it was a long time ago. A friend's club entered me into a tournament with them a couple of years ago; I had a couple of crash sessions on how-to-spar-TKD (and, indeed, remembering how to kick as of course it's a different style) - the biggest problem then was overcoming the urge to punch my opponent when the chance arose!

So, to answer your question: no, I didn't find it a challenge! I did find it hard trying TKD and kickboxing (last year) after MT as I wanted to kick with my shin and found it hard to use my feet instead. It's academic now as since I've had several bad foot injuries I'm sticking to MT.

  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

During our sessions my trainer sometimes puts in purely boxing rounds to help me concentrate on specific aspects.

 

That's great.

Was there anything that you struggled with especially when integrating boxing aspects into MT sparring?

  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...