Kicks problem - turning over the hip and power

Started muay thai about a month ago but used to do mma about 5 yrs ago(which is totally different), the problem i've got is i'm struggling to turn my hips over to get power in my kicks. Whats the best way to train to get my hips to turn to get power. TIA

On 10/15/2024 at 1:27 PM, Milton said:

Started muay thai about a month ago but used to do mma about 5 yrs ago(which is totally different), the problem i've got is i'm struggling to turn my hips over to get power in my kicks. Whats the best way to train to get my hips to turn to get power. TIA

Consider not turnover over the kick, and instead working on the classic more upright Golden Kick:

You can read more about it here:

https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-thailand/golden-kick-how-to-improve-your-thai-kick

The turn over aspect of the kick is often over emphasized by non-Thai krus who don't really see all the connective tissue in the Thai Kick (generally). Most of the classic kicks turn very late in the arc, because they want to keep the opponent centered, and they don't want to be out of position for more continuous offensive flow.

You can see more about Karuhat's kick here:

#111 The Karuhat Rosetta Stone 7 - The Secrets of the Matador (83 min) watch it here

Karuhat is the most documented Golden Age legend in history, thanks to the sum of all the filming and commentary we've been able to do with him. This session though provide the key to understanding all the other sessions. And there is a very special focus on his particular Golden Kick.

An alternate kicking style:

#143 Takrowlek Dejrat - Master of the Low Kick (90 min) watch it here 

One of the great low kicking fighters of the Golden Age teaches his squared up, pressuring, Muay Beuk fight philosophy which uses an extremely fast, vertical low kicking technique that keeps the opponent exactly where you want them. This punishing style, built on defense and ring control is extremely effective, using techniques that are not often taught. Study the low kick in a way you haven't seen before.