Thomas V

Getting the most out of your training with time limitations.

Hello fellow forum dwellers,
I am trying to figure out how to make the most progress with a limited amount of time.
Any feedback is welcome.

My situation:

I currently spend about 6 hours per week on Muay thai.
Some weeks this drops to 3-4 hours, but I've been training 6 hours per week quite consistently for about 6 months now.
Most weeks my schedule looks like this:

• Monday or Tuesday: 1 hour on the heavy bag
  • Thursday: 2 hours on the heavy bag
  • Saturday morning: 1 hour of technical instruction (1v1 trying out different techniques with a trainer correcting us, controlled class environment)
  • Sunday: 2 hours on the heavy bag

Warm up before heavy bag session: 5 minutes of skipping & 5 minutes of shadow (no particular focus during shadow)

Equipment available at home: Heavy bag, skipping rope, running shoes

Some limiting factors are:

• I live in Belgium, not Thailand. So I can't just go to a Muay thai gym any time of the day. (Only scheduled classes)
  • With winter arriving, outdoor temperatures get to about freezing point every night, so indoor training is preferred.

Goal & alterations to schedule

My overall goal is to become more skilled in muay thai (fitness is a bonus).
I want to improve my ability to fight, although I don't currently plan to participate in any actual fights.

In order to improve, I am trying to free up 30 minutes every morning before work to train as well (on top of the schedule above). Some other changes / improvements I could make at the moment are:

• Replace heavy bag session on thursdays with a sparring class. I haven't attended yet, but trainer says students go at about 50-70% power (shin guards, 16oz gloves, no headgear).
  • replace monday/tuesday heavy bag session with private sessions with a trainer

My questions to you

• What does your schedule look like?
  • What alterations would you make to my schedule?
  • If you could free up half an hour every morning for training, what would you do? (run / skip / shadow box / ...)
  • Is it useful to incorporate sparring for casuals/beginners? If so, how often should you do it?

I appreciate all input from both hobbyists and actual fighters.

• Like 2

Can only really comment on one thing here: Yes, sparring is useful at at least a certain point I think. It helps to show you where weak points in your technique are that you might not even notice otherwise. Shows you what are things to focus on in your non-sparring training.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Hi there everyone  Planning on returning to Thailand after three years on December 2022. I' ve been looking into Nakhon Si Tammarat, knowing it to be Hippy's district and a southern hub for great Muay Thai. Research hasn't come up with many choices, and I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions. I'm a 42 yo female (which is definitely something to take under consideration), not looking to fight at the end of this camp but pretty damn serious about my training, technical input and overall experience. Any thoughts?      
    • Now you don’t need to quarantine to enter Thailand looking to go by end of this year/ early next for 1 month. Can anyone help with gyms id like the gym to have -proper thai training with good trainers not all touristy but not super old school.  -Thai and western fighters so trainers can work with westerners but it’s not full of tourists -opportunity to fight at end of month  -accom in gym or very close  -dosnt need to be super clinch focused but good clinch as thats my weakness  -good trainers with good instruction for westerners  -preferably in Chang Mai as it’s the cheapest and on a budget -don’t need all fancy equipment and stuff  I like the look of santai Muay Thai, hongthong and boon lanna if anyone has experience with them? Thanks for anyone who can help. 
    • Question for Sylvie! When you made the transition to Southpaw….I’m assuming all of your orthodox combos and strikes had a natural flow to them because that was first for you. ..Im wondering how long it took to get a that natural flow in your Southpaw stance?  Also,  if you have any tips on the transition other constant practice in southpaw. Either way thank you for reading this. Have an amazing day!    - Mike C. 
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• I can recommend you to visit Kst Muay Thai.. For the Time Being, you can learn the fundamentals of Muay Thai by yourself. That could be done though reading Blogs!! Like Muay Thai Citizen, Fight Supplies, Team Elite etc. But combat sports must be performed with another person. You can develop negative habits that are tough to break if you don't have someone to correct your form. Training with an instructor is by far the most effective way to learn.
    • Hello everybody =) I'm a muaythai researcher from Brazil. I'm looking for information about the best current muaythai trainers in Thailand, unfortunately I didn't find any consistent information.   Can someone help me?
    • I think what's more important than scent is how effective they actually are. In my experience once gloves smell bad, there's no going back. I'd love to find a solution that works.
    • Exceptional display of courage.  Stood up until the end.
    • Hey, I'm familiar with the struggles with partnering with beginners.  Once is a while is fine, but you don't get as much out of the class as you would with someone at your level.  Here are things I've done in the past: 1) ask the advanced women to come help me train (either in class of outside of class)  2) invite the women that are less advanced, but seem keen on learning, to train with me outside of class, say casually for just techniques (I specified no sparring).  Also give them opportunity to suggest what to work on during those times you train together.  The 2nd one was very hard initially for me, as it involved setting up this new group training.   Our gym had ladies' sparring before that ended in disasters, so I tried to steer us away from that.  Also talking to be ppl I don't know and managing multiple new relationships makes me very anxious and mentally exhausted. But that investment of energy pays dividends -  I started this a few years ago and I have a few women from there that developed a lot since and partners when me in class consistently.  We train together outside of class also.  We even met up in parks to train when the gym got shutdown during covid (but small groups outdoor gatherings were allowed).
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts