LawlessH

Training on Extended Fast (3 to 10 Days) to Lose Weight

Has anyone here ever trained while on an extended fast?

I'm interested in starting one but I don’t want to make training unbearable either. I have about 40 lbs to lose and am doing keto again after a disaster of a first attempt at the beginning of the year.

I was wondering if anyone has a successful approach to extended fasting, 3 to 10 days and if training is out of the question or how you approached it.

Thanks!

On 12/31/2019 at 10:56 AM, LawlessH said:

I'm interested in starting one but I don’t want to make training unbearable either. I have about 40 lbs to lose and am doing keto again after a disaster of a first attempt at the beginning of the year.

I was wondering if anyone has a successful approach to extended fasting, 3 to 10 days and if training is out of the question or how you approached it.

Thanks!

Hi there! I've done several 24, 36 and 72 hours. One time 5 days only water. Had intense caffeine withdrawals otherwise ok. (Blacked out once) Did yoga, went to work but no high intensity training. The point with longer fasting is autophagy and ketosis. I would not train muay thai when on longer fast.

Thanks!

I have not experienced training on extended fasting, but I only eat every other day. If you're going to do training while fasted in a 3+ day window, I'd recommend you make exceptions for electrolytes during that fast. There will be some calories in whatever form you are taking them, but they'd be pretty minimal and "under 50 calories" is something I've read as a limit for keeping your body from triggering digestive hormones, so long as you stay under 50. Every body is different, but that's my advice.

• Cool 1

Not someone who trains while fasting, but I've been very attentive to Sylvie's training. And I've also been fasting every other day for a year. The big key is that since you are going keto first (again), to make sure you are fat adapted. This means to really get that ketogenesis dependably going, testing urine, etc. Once you are fat adapted fasting becomes a whole different thing (because your body is just living off of fat, and isn't looking for quick fuel sugar). Once that happens all you have to do is make sure you are getting your potassium, magnesium and sodium (and basic nutrition), and you should not experience deep fatigue or hunger in training. You'll just be burning your fat. If you don't watch your electrolytes though, you'll hit walls of various kinds, and you'll probably attribute them to fasting, instead of what they are, electrolyte depletion. Of course, as always, there are always medical concerns with any kind of extreme diet or weightloss, so if you do hit heavy symptoms it's best to see a doctor.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 10:48 AM, LengLeng said:

Hi there! I've done several 24, 36 and 72 hours. One time 5 days only water. Had intense caffeine withdrawals otherwise ok. (Blacked out once) Did yoga, went to work but no high intensity training. The point with longer fasting is autophagy and ketosis. I would not train muay thai when on longer fast.

Yes, autophagy is the main point I agree with the side effect of weight loss. Thank you for sharing your experience with it. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 2:48 AM, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Not someone who trains while fasting, but I've been very attentive to Sylvie's training. And I've also been fasting every other day for a year. The big key is that since you are going keto first (again), to make sure you are fat adapted. This means to really get that ketogenesis dependably going, testing urine, etc. Once you are fat adapted fasting becomes a whole different thing (because your body is just living off of fat, and isn't looking for quick fuel sugar). Once that happens all you have to do is make sure you are getting your potassium, magnesium and sodium (and basic nutrition), and you should not experience deep fatigue or hunger in training. You'll just be burning your fat. If you don't watch your electrolytes though, you'll hit walls of various kinds, and you'll probably attribute them to fasting, instead of what they are, electrolyte depletion. Of course, as always, there are always medical concerns with any kind of extreme diet or weightloss, so if you do hit heavy symptoms it's best to see a doctor.

I was just researching electrolytes, thanks for the info. I’m testing with the strips and am in the ketosis so I’m thinking next week I’ll see how it goes and take it day by day. 

• Nak Muay 1

On 1/3/2020 at 3:35 AM, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

I have not experienced training on extended fasting, but I only eat every other day. If you're going to do training while fasted in a 3+ day window, I'd recommend you make exceptions for electrolytes during that fast. There will be some calories in whatever form you are taking them, but they'd be pretty minimal and "under 50 calories" is something I've read as a limit for keeping your body from triggering digestive hormones, so long as you stay under 50. Every body is different, but that's my advice.

That makes sense. I’ll probably start at the every other dat to perhaps 48 hr from what I’ve been reading this week. Have you used Apple cider vinegar at all? Just curious if your stomach handled it well if you did. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, LawlessH said:

Yes, autophagy is the main point I agree with the side effect of weight loss. Thank you for sharing your experience with it. 

I did drink hot lemon water with some pink salt during my fast to avoid nausea.

One thing most people told me and that I discovered myself is that after 3 days you'll feel really tired and your body wants to slow down, but when needed your body will produce energy for you. Like feeling very tired but then going to a yoga session and suddenly the energy just flowed to your body. 

I used this guide as inspiration and motivation. Celestine Chua is quite amazing (although I do not agree with her veganism) https://personalexcellence.co/blog/fasting-series/

Good luck!

• Nak Muay 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:27 PM, LengLeng said:

I did drink hot lemon water with some pink salt during my fast to avoid nausea.

One thing most people told me and that I discovered myself is that after 3 days you'll feel really tired and your body wants to slow down, but when needed your body will produce energy for you. Like feeling very tired but then going to a yoga session and suddenly the energy just flowed to your body. 

I used this guide as inspiration and motivation. Celestine Chua is quite amazing (although I do not agree with her veganism) https://personalexcellence.co/blog/fasting-series/

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I’ll look it up.

yes, I’m focusing on 48 hrs now. I just need the energy for recovery too much lol.

• Like 2