Cynical

1+1 Keto - Do you Take Potassium & Sodium on Fast Days?

Hi,

On the fasting day do you still take supplements for sodium, potassium, and magnesium or do you not ingest anything at all? I've been doing keto on and off for a couple of years, and I've done water fasts before. But I'm interested in trying this 1+1 fasting approach. 

Thanks

• Like 1

We used to only do water and coffee, but since focusing on potassium and sodium we take that now. Which means that there are a small amount of carbs ingested. Whether this is strictly a fast I think is less important than the benefit. ISo, sodium and potassium yes. Personally, as a non-athlete, I am inconsistent in this. Maybe on half the fast days I stay with coffee and water.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

We used to only do water and coffee, but since focusing on potassium and sodium we take that now. Which means that there are a small amount of carbs ingested. Whether this is strictly a fast I think is less important than the benefit. ISo, sodium and potassium yes. Personally, as a non-athlete, I am inconsistent in this. Maybe on half the fast days I stay with coffee and water.

Thanks for the quick reply, do you still use heavy whipping cream in your coffee on fasting days or do you go just black coffee? Also I like to drink powerade zero and supplement some of the sodium and potassium in it. So I can drink it and actually enjoy taking the supplements, would this be fine to do on the fasting day? I really appreciate the reply, this whole website is helping me a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Another thing you can do if you really want to be water fasted on those +1 days, is take potassium and sodium the night before, to kind of load the body for the next day to some degree.

I don't mind whether i'm actually completely water fasted or if I'm almost water fasted but still getting a lot of the same benefits. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Thanks for the quick reply, do you still use heavy whipping cream in your coffee on fasting days or do you go just black coffee?

Definitely black coffee for us.

10 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Also I like to drink powerade zero and supplement some of the sodium and potassium in it. So I can drink it and actually enjoy taking the supplements, would this be fine to do on the fasting day?

It's really up to you. I don't know what carbs or sweeteners are in your powerade, but the whole point is to keep carbs very low. Some sweeteners also seem to be not great for the gut biome. Maybe experiment with doing it on some days, and see how you feel, and not on others (once you figure out your level of carbs, etc).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

It's really up to you. I don't know what carbs or sweeteners are in your powerade, but the whole point is to keep carbs very low. Some sweeteners also seem to be not great for the gut biome. Maybe experiment with doing it on some days, and see how you feel, and not on others (once you figure out your level of carbs, etc).

Ok good to know and also the Powerade zero has less than 1 carb but it definitely does have sweetener ill experiment with it. Thanks for the help

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Ok good to know and also the Powerade zero has less than 1 carb but it definitely does have sweetener ill experiment with it. Thanks for the help

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cynical said:

Have another question about potassium. For sodium and magnesium it's easy to supplement on a fast day. What should I do for potassium? It seems like I'm not getting enough.

Linked below is my post on the Cream of Tartar solution, which is not perfect. Sometimes it upsets people's stomachs, and it also has a few carbs, so taking it at the end of an eat day on 1+1 Keto might be best. This is mostly what we go with. There is also potassium chloride, which has no carbs at all, but is very harsh to consume. It has a chemically-salt burn, not pleasant.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, Cynical said:

I don't mind whether i'm actually completely water fasted or if I'm almost water fasted but still getting a lot of the same benefits. 

Just a small note on this, in case you are unaware. Advocates of fasting often point to the proposed benefits of autophagy, which is a state the body goes in after x-number of hours of fasting. It's basically a state which has been described as a kind of clean up, or taking the garbage out of the body, where broken protein, etc is "eaten", or recycled. As wikipedia tells us:

the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that removes unnecessary or dysfunctional components.[3] It allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components

One of the possibly profound benefits for 1+1 Keto is the likelihood that you are pushing your body into autophagy every other day, which could conceivably help with cell repair and stresses that a high performance athlete might endure. You'd be putting the body into a kind of clean-up on alternate days...theoretically.

The reason why I bring this up is that I've seen differing descriptions of how and when autophagy kicks in. Some say 24-36 hours after absolute fasting. People like Joe Rogan favorite Rhonda Patrick argues, if I recall, is strong on saying absolutely zero calories. I've seen others say that if you stay under 50 calories you are still "fasting" with the implication that autophagy would not be impeded. Zero calories, 50 calories? I've not seen this resolved, But...it's worth thinking about.

In this clip you can see her talking about autophagy:

5 hours ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Just a small note on this, in case you are unaware. Advocates of fasting often point to the proposed benefits of autophagy, which is a state the body goes in after x-number of hours of fasting. It's basically a state which has been described as a kind of clean up, or taking the garbage out of the body, where broken protein, etc is "eaten", or recycled. As wikipedia tells us:

the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that removes unnecessary or dysfunctional components.[3] It allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components

One of the possibly profound benefits for 1+1 Keto is the likelihood that you are pushing your body into autophagy every other day, which could conceivably help with cell repair and stresses that a high performance athlete might endure. You'd be putting the body into a kind of clean-up on alternate days...theoretically.

The reason why I bring this up is that I've seen differing descriptions of how and when autophagy kicks in. Some say 24-36 hours after absolute fasting. People like Joe Rogan favorite Rhonda Patrick argues, if I recall, is strong on saying absolutely zero calories. I've seen others say that if you stay under 50 calories you are still "fasting" with the implication that autophagy would not be impeded. Zero calories, 50 calories? I've not seen this resolved, But...it's worth thinking about.

In this clip you can see her talking about autophagy:

Very interesting stuff