Ronda Rousey - The Most Talked About Female Athlete...

Ronda Rousey's old Honda is up for sale on Ebay. Act quick!

There are many of Ronda's personal belongings inside the car including medals, UFC programs from past events, patches, hats, and all kinds of random Ronda items. You can see from the eBay photos what all the items are that are located in the car. We (Ronda's family) like to joke about all of the cool things you find in Ronda's car. Every time you open the door, it's is like an archeological dig! Also, Ronda did glue a few medals, patches, coins, and figurines to the inside of her car which probably aren't going to come off. 

Below you can also view two YouTube videos of Ronda dancing, singing, and having fun in her 2005 Honda Accord.

Kinda cool, kinda bizarre.

Ronda Rousey's old Honda is up for sale on Ebay. Act quick!

There are many of Ronda's personal belongings inside the car including medals, UFC programs from past events, patches, hats, and all kinds of random Ronda items. You can see from the eBay photos what all the items are that are located in the car. We (Ronda's family) like to joke about all of the cool things you find in Ronda's car. Every time you open the door, it's is like an archeological dig! Also, Ronda did glue a few medals, patches, coins, and figurines to the inside of her car which probably aren't going to come off. 

Below you can also view two YouTube videos of Ronda dancing, singing, and having fun in her 2005 Honda Accord.

Kinda cool, kinda bizarre.

The bidding is up to $12,600. Fame is a crazy thing.

That's creepy...I mean it's ok they sell it, who would've want to keep an old car if you still can get rid of it and get some money from it, but here...

It really is astonishing how much of a celebrity Ronda has become!

• Like 1

Michelle, yep I finished reading it, then went to watch the whole TUF18 to get a better picture of it, I'm still processing though.

I think she's astonishing in that she really keeps to her word and is honest with her feelings. I really appreciate it and respect her for that. She also seems really intense, but in the book it was more efficient, like she was giving off the feeling of knowing she was the center of the world. After I watched the TUF18 it softened her image a bit.

All in all, I really love it she's this honest type of hardworking person who won't take sh*t from anybody. I love this and it really empowers me. I also like how she semi-openly talks about her body issues. For me she's a consistent person and I value that a lot, because I struggle with my own consistency at times...

So, I'm still processing all the information and how I can pick something from her as a role model (even though she's younger by a year than me hahaha!) to become a better person. I really hope she can become a strong female role model for the little girls out there! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article from Muay Thai Guy, The Cult of Personality: What Muay Thai Needs to Learn from Ronda Rousey

As someone who would like to see Muay Thai fighters actually earn a living from their work, as well as share their knowledge and experience, I think there are many lessons to be taken from Rousey’s example. Whether you love, hate, or don’t care about her, the fact remains that Rousey has built a fan base in a way that would have been unthinkable two years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

She really is the "go-to" female athlete that people think when engaging conversations about female issues in fighting, because yesterday, at my gym (male, with the random 1 to 4 women), we were warming up in a group and I was talking with the other female present (a young teenage girl) about finding a way to keep my long hair out of the way of gloves velcro straps in grappling, and one of the guys said: "Just do like Ronda Rousey, tie them in cornrows". (They are still to long for that, but whatever).

And later, another guy in my wight lifting class was asking me something about grappling and I was like "Yeah, but boobs get in the way, it's annoying" (I have a certain amount of boobs) and he was like: "But RR has big boobs and she can manage". (He then added with a sigh: "All women who fight have so little boobs..." He looked sadly in the distance, I facepalmed so hard and got back to squatting...)

And we're talking about italy and not english speaking people, if they ever talk about someone else I'll let you know...

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

So, I should say that I am new to watching women's fighting. I have only very recently took an interest in watching women's fighting, obviously because it is something I am training in myself now. Ive been blood thirsty for information regarding women and fighting..My opinion then, is taken from a very limited experience or awareness of different styles of fighting and different ways of reporting this fighting.I am also an artist and so please note my mind is interested in real life facts but also the importance of fantasy and imagination.

I heard of Ronda Rousey from a joke made by a friend. I was joking about my new found Muay Thai skills and how i was going to kick his ass..He referred to me as a 'Ronda Rousey.' I first thought he was trying a play with words about the roundhouse kick (is that really her name?) Then I thought perhaps she was an Anime character..haha..Anyway, I looked her up and found a fight video and saw that she was real and a serious fighter. I already didn't like being compared to her (not my fighting skills of course, the comparison was made as a joke just because she is a name now resonant in popular culture and so an easy reference for anyone who knows anything about women's fighting.) But no, I didn't like it because I don't like being compared to a media invention. By that I mean, I don't see Ronda Rousey as a person, a fighter, but more as a type of character that world media have picked up as sellable.

In the fight I watched, I saw the 'walk down' in which she was snarling and acting as a 'Tank Girl.' (I was a big Tank Girl fan of the comics by Hewlett and Martin during the 90s) 'Tank Girl' was created out of sci fi and a lack in the market for a 'butch, hard, fighting girl' She was a pin up of the riot grrrl movement that was rocking around feminist music and punk rock at this time also. Riot Grrl was all about female empowerment in music ( see Bikini Kill for e.g.)...Ronda Rousey would have been elevated by that movement as she tick s all the boxes of a Grrrl powerist and on the surface that seems a very feminist place to be, a live warrior, 'Ronda Rousey - a lone womans fight to the top of the world' and for her to be placed on the cover of sporting magazines is a testimony to her blonde and beautiful power..right?

I grew up in the 70s WWF wrestling was the big thing..a fighting circus, a charade, a grotesque spectacle of male aggression, dominion and good vs bad . I used to love the 'Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks' and I booed and cheered with my brother and tried to ask my dad whether the whole thing was just a big joke..He was a patriot. Of course 'Big Daddy' was real. No offence to WWF fans, non meant, but you know, come on! So this walk down was just that. Ronda growling and fiercely entering the ring where she was about to dominate and win for the cause of brute power and female strength in the Ronda Rousey way of course, for 'Herself and her rise from her poor background'. Anyone can do it if they have what it takes? Ive also just watched a series of documentary about wrestling and female bodybuilding (Louis Theroux) So forgive me if all the links i make are to do with this recent line of series watching!...So, Louis'  series does concentrate on the male gaze and involvement with 'powerful' women i.e. the physical. It introduces an idea that some men love the actuality of being submissive to these powerful women...the link I make is that Ronda Rousey does fulfil the fantasies of some male idea of beauty and sexuality. Ronda is traditionally speaking attractive to those liking a blonde, white, aggressive type. I say this because I wonder how much of her 'fame' is about this, rather than a rightful place of a winning fighter. The 'heroine' is an archetype...the media has a role in recreating the symbols that its consumerist public want to worship....

I didn't like the fight. Im not into MMA or wrestling or these types of fighting sport. They don't do it for me.

With reference to MuayThai, I have been much more interested in the fights of Kaitlin Young who I consider (from only a few MMA fights Ive seen, in which she went in and finished her opponents in minutes) to be a real powerhouse fighter. Kaitlin is too, traditionally beautiful but there was no trace of the circus about her. I am interested in this site as a source of media for Muay Thai. I found an interview with Kaitlin here, I read about Sylvie's experiences here. Their involvement with reporting to and on behalf of the readership is what makes it real. I become aware of the truth of women's fighting, ambition and struggles here. Ronda Rousey may well be the 'most talked about' athlete but I believe there is a popularist, financially - led interest in her. As an Archetype, the sport hero is interesting. The God's of ancient Rome still boasting their achievements after all these years. Did they really exist?? Do we still strive to be the superhuman? To be a solo super strength crushing everything inferior in its path? Only some of us can make it if we have what it takes. Only some are chosen??

Real fight, I believe, is in exploring other qualities of greatness. So, I'm never going to beat 'Ronda Rousey' in a million years. Id no more like to fight her than I would like to fight Achilles himself and even he had a human weakness. I'm only really interested in those who can teach me how to win the fights that I hope to have in the real world. 'Ronda' represents to me all those men who like that i talk about fighting because they think it means I am trying to create a sexually dominant character for myself and so ultimately for them. I doubt that Ronda would tolerate that association but I don't want it either...should Sylvie or Kaitlin be on the front page of a sporting mag that might cover the story of their endeavours?? Are any of us really fighting to be 'at the top of the world?' I don't know - but I never read sports magazines anyway..its all advertising and bullshit. I have a copy of Amir Kahn's(UK boxer) latest interview in a magazine. I used it to inspire a video I made at work of me knocking out Khan with a kick to his head via our green screen facility...haha... Im just saying...

Dont believe the hype!

*post edited*