Choosing a Gym For a 3-Month Stay (Kaewsamrit vs Kem Muay Thai vs Namsaknoi vs Sitmonchai)

Hello all,

I am planning to go train in Thailand for 3 months (ticket already bought!) on September 9 and I have still to choose my training camp for the duration of my stay. I don't really want to hop around different gyms as I won't be there for too long so I want to make an informed decision right away. I am in advanced discussions with Sitmonchai's foreign liaision (Abigail), but I am still not sure if I will go there or not.

My background: I am an amateur fighter with 6 fights under his belt (nothing crazy) and would really want to find a gym with serious training and not too much westerners if possible. I have also been training for 3 years now and it would be my first trip to Thailand.

I have filtered down a couple gyms in my list: Kaewsamrit, Sitmonchai, Kem Muay Thai, and Namsaknoi. If you could give me a brief overview of your impressions of those gyms would be cool. I am looking to develop a more Muay femur style (technical) if that can help.

Here's my impressions of each gym, if you could confirm my assumptions it would be really helpful.

Kaewsamrit: Seems like a good old-school gym oriented more towards boxing Muay mat ("heavy hands"). As I need to step up my clinch game as well, I don't know if it is the best option. I do enjoy watching highlight clips of Anuwat Kaewsamrit exploding skulls with his fists though, but I am afraid that this style is a bit limited. Although I am pretty sure they would adjust to my style/level.

Sitmonchai: Similar to Kaewsamrit but it is the most expensive on my list and don't know if it's justified. Known for their aggressive style and hard low kicks, I am afraid that it might be a bit one-dimensional as well. I do enjoy the fact that they pair you up with Thais though (if they actually do and how frequently?), major point for me. They seem to have a lot of active fighters as well, which should help motivate me, but I also heard that other than the pad sessions with the trainers, you are pretty much left to yourself to train. I would like to have guidance on what I am doing right/wrong as well and not just hitting pads till exhaustion.

Kem Muay Thai Gym: Beautiful location, seems like a clinch-oriented gym with disciplined training. The gym is new and doesn't have much info on it though but my major fear is that it might be geared towards westerners more. I am not a Muay Thai expert with 300+ fights but I do want to have quality training partners. It does seem like a more complete style of fighting is being taught there though.

Namsaknoi: The most recent of all the gyms. What attracts me is Namsaknoi himself with the breadth of his technique and his legacy. Seems more oriented towards technique and from what I've heard they only spar twice a week (not enough in my opinion). I am also thinking that it attracts mostly westerners as I haven't been able to find info on Thai fighters training there, and also because it's on a beautiful beach.

Thank you,

KushGod

My coach has been to several times/sends us to Keawsamrit. I have not been personally, but as a team we are very boxing-oriented in style so your suspicions may be right.

Namsaknoi I have heard is drawing TONS of newbie westerners so while he may be amazing as an instructor, the training pool may not be to your tastes.

As a dude I think Kem's gym will be a good choice for you. If you search the forum there are already reciews about these gyms posted. Good luck!

• Like 1

The gym is new and doesn't have much info on it though but my major fear is that it might be geared towards westerners more. I am not a Muay Thai expert with 300+ fights but I do want to have quality training partners. It does seem like a more complete style of fighting is being taught there though.

I've only trained at Kem's a few times, but I did not get the sense at all that he was geared towards westerners in any sort of non-serious way. In fact, despite my size, I got to clinch with Yodwicha, one of the best fighters in Thailand, and spar with Yodwicha's brother (more my size). The pad work from Kru Dam was top, top notch. I really have never heard that it's anything but a fighters gym, and that you get really good work there, especially if you stay long term. Kem has an awesome disciplinarian energy, creating high standards. I think it's one of the best gyms in Thailand, if not the best, at least from my limited view.

My coach has been to several times/sends us to Keawsamrit. I have not been personally, but as a team we are very boxing-oriented in style so your suspicions may be right.

Namsaknoi I have heard is drawing TONS of newbie westerners so while he may be amazing as an instructor, the training pool may not be to your tastes.

As a dude I think Kem's gym will be a good choice for you. If you search the forum there are already reciews about these gyms posted. Good luck!

Ok thank you for confirming my suspicions on those gyms! Looks like Kem's gym is among the great ones from what I've been reading so far. I've looked around in the "Gym Advice and Experiences" for as much information possible but I felt like I still needed a bit more reviews/opinions to have a clear idea, but I will keep looking around elsewhere in the forum as well I guess.

Sylvie's gym list here on the forum

Articles on 8limbs.us

Sitmonchai

Kem Muaythai Gym 

Namsaknoi (contact Paul Banasiak on facebook )

Yes I actually had read all 3 of them already but felt like having additional inputs wouldn't hurt, but heh why not a refresher. I will look into contacting Paul Banasiak as well, thank you for that tip. I do remember him being the only western sponsored fighter there if I am correct.

I've only trained at Kem's a few times, but I did not get the sense at all that he was geared towards westerners in any sort of non-serious way. In fact, despite my size, I got to clinch with Yodwicha, one of the best fighters in Thailand, and spar with Yodwicha's brother (more my size). The pad work from Kru Dam was top, top notch. I really have never heard that it's anything but a fighters gym, and that you get really good work there, especially if you stay long term. Kem has an awesome disciplinarian energy, creating high standards. I think it's one of the best gyms in Thailand, if not the best, at least from my limited view.

Well that sounds really convincing I won't lie lol. Thanks a lot for the tips!

With so many gyms having ex-lumpini champions as trainers and good fighters, it gets hard to make a clear choice and also because I don't feel like trying multiple gyms due to my relatively short stay. But still thanks all again for the quick answers and more inputs are always welcomed!

KushGod

With so many gyms having ex-lumpini champions as trainers and good fighters, it gets hard to make a clear choice and also because I don't feel like trying multiple gyms due to my relatively short stay. But still thanks all again for the quick answers and more inputs are always welcomed!

This is my sense of Kem's. He's going to put you through tough, fighter-like training sequences. Just show yourself committed to the work and he'll respond to you. Don't look to other westerners to see what you should be doing, focus on the Thais. Imitate their energy, their relaxation and their work. 

In picking a gym though there is no way to guarantee that it is going to be what is hoped for. When you listen to what people have said of their experience, because all gyms change over time, week to week, month to month, definitely year to year, it may be different when you get there. Or, the things that appealed to others may not appeal to you, or happen for you. What you really want is a place to work, with good energy, with some focus of producing Thai fighters. Once you are there, ask lots of questions. Have Thais explain techniques. It's respectful to ask Thais to show or explain things. 

Once you are there, ask lots of questions. Have Thais explain techniques. It's respectful to ask Thais to show or explain things.

Great to know as I'm the type to ask a lot of questions!

I guess picking a camp is similar to dating in some way, not to make any corny analogy.. You might find the right one right away, or it can take multiple tries, and it costs money haha.

Well thanks again for the tips!