My List of Muay Thai Gyms I Recommend in Thailand

So here is an informal list of gyms I'd generally recommend, and a short synopsis why. These are maybe one-month-stay recommendations. These are not reviews, just quick overall impressions. Keep in mind, I don't really spend a lot of time in gyms during regular training hours, and I'm not drawn to mega-gyms with lots of trainers, students and new facilities. I just get asked this question a lot so this is my best answer on my experiences, and sometimes from feedback I've heard from people I've sent there. If you have a question you can post it on this thread, or create a new thread in this Topic. I've included links to filmed sessions with some of the krus that head these gyms, I'd strongly recommend watching them to get a sense of the gym and the teaching style. [updated March, 2022]

1515043202_RecommendedGymsThailand.thumb.jpg.5bbc2c07a4bc519ce0e9ebfbb437c404.jpg

Sit Kru Thailand (Chiang Mai - contact here) Thailand Pinsinchai is a late- Golden Age fighter, so well rounded in beautiful technique, powerful striking, and a great teacher. He was originally part of the Santai krus, so he has experience with western fighters, but has opened his own gym in Chiang Mai. Importantly, he trains his own son as a fighter, and a handful of young (teenage) fighters who are frequently on Channel 7 and Petchyindee shows. The reason this is important is that gyms can have a sweet spot they hit when a Thai team is being built, which makes them very full of focus. Kru Thailand streams training often, you can find video of it here. The gym is on the premises of a resort, so you have a room right there if you wish. The facilities are nice but not fancy, but mainly Thailand is just an excellent teacher and a funny and sincere man. You can see how great Kru Thailand is as a teacher in my hour long Muay Thai Library sessions with him. Session 1 all about technique, Session 2 on clinch

Jor. Apichat  Muay Thai Gym - Singburi with Kru Diesel (Singburi) Famed Kru Diesel is the big draw of this gym, his best known for having brought up two Muay Khao superstars at F. A. Group (Petchboonchu and Yothin) but he has moved to be the head trainer of his own gym up in Singburi. Kru Diesel is a mastermind for the Muay Khao style, an amazing padman and a truly great teacher. For Muay Khao, this is a top option. Importantly, this is a legendary kru involved in building a legit Thai fight team, who also has lots of experience of training western fighters as well. These kinds of sweet spot gyms that are authentically Thai, but also understand western needs are rare. This session was filmed at FA Group, but you'll get a strong sense of Kru Diesel's teaching: Kru Diesel F.A. Group - The Art of Knees (84 min). A new session is coming to the Library that I've filmed at Fight House in Singburi. Follow Kru Diesel Facebook, he live streams a lot. 

Manop's Gym (Chiang Mai) - For those that want a gym that is a bit more personal in their training Manop's gym in Chiang Mai is definitely something to check out. Manop is famously known as Saenchai's Yokkao trainer, and he's left Yokkao now to start his own life in Chiang Mai. He is incredibly perceptive as a teacher, very, very technical. I'm not sure I've run into a more precise and intuitive teacher of technique, a man with a gentle spirit as well. He also works really well with young western fighters. The gym is in a quiet neighborhood outside of the city, and seems like a great opportunity learn and train hard. If you check the threads of this forum you will find some very positive, thorough reviews of the gym a solid year or more into its foundation. Also it would seem very women-friendly, as Kru Manop raised his daughter Faa to become a fighter and Somrasmee (first Rajadamnern woman champion) trains there. LGBTQ+ students have found the gym to be welcoming as well. You can see Kru Manop's teaching style in my Library sessions with him: The Art of the Teep (90 min), Session 2 - The Art of the Sweep (57 min) We did this quick video edit of the gym in 2020 if you want to take a look

Sor. Klinmee (Pattaya) - Tappaya Sit Or was Rajadamnern Champion at 135 lbs and was a loved Channel 7 (Kiatpetch Promotion) fighter, facing many top names of his time. He was born and raised in Pattaya, so is a foundational presence in the Muay Thai scene here, which is a much more established region than most realize (most folks think of Bangkok and Isaan). This gym is small but spacious and has produced a great number of fighters over the couple decades since it opened. Tappaya raised all 3 of his kids as fighters (his youngest son still fights), as well as well-known members of his giant Muay Thai family (Sudsakorn, Sinsamut). His nephew has a gym right up the street (Rambaa) and, while Tappaya can come off a little guarded at first, he's a charming and funny man, in addition to being a fantastic and experienced padholder. At the time I'm writing this, the gym still has 5 teenaged to young 20's Thai fighters, but most appear after school lets out, so it's a pretty quiet gym. There's not much sparring to speak of and most of the bagwork is just drills, but the padwork is good and their students are good clinchers. The people I'd recommend this gym to are those who already know how to train themselves without a lot of hand-holding (like me, I do my own bagwork, shadow, and conditioning without needing to be told or it coinciding with anyone else doing it), or people who are interested in an intimate version of training. It basically feels like a private class with Tappaya when he holds pads (the rounds are long and timed by your padman occasionally looking at a clock on the wall, not a timer... so I think they're 4 minutes with 1 minute rest, but it varies) and he's a great teacher if you make it clear you are interested in instruction. His Thai fighters range from 52 kg to 67 kg.

#122 Tappaya Sit Or. - Muay Khao Strength In Femeu (82 min) watch it here

Tappaya is arguably Pattaya's most successful local hero (excluding Samart and Kongtoranee, neither of whom were born in Pattaya but trained at Sityodtong), as he was a Channel 7 fighter, as well as holding the 135 lb Rajadamnern title for 3 years (1997-2000), and a WMC champion. Tappaya was a Femeu fighter himself, but he trains his fighters in more of a Muay Khao ethic, to be very strong and very adroit in clinching.

Contact them on FB: Sor Klinmee

Baan Rambaa (Pattaya) - Rambaa is the nephew to Tappaya, and at Rambaa's gym you'll find more of the Klinmee family as trainers. Rambaa's gym is full of little kids, who train sincerely, even though not all of them fight. He has two young-20s Thai fighters, who fight on ONE and Bangkok Stadium shows. Rambaa walks around with a stick, mostly corralling the kids, but he also engages with training as a padman or supervisor. His fighters are known for their resilience, it's a hard-working and hard-hitting style, but he does give importance to technique and has visiting Legends every so often on Sundays to help advise his fighters. With Rambaa and Tappaya just 100 meters from each other, you could very easily treat the two gyms as circuit (although you'd have to pay both, as they're separate businesses). Although Rambaa is a traditional gym in the sense of it being a community space, full of kids, and he places importance on traditional technique, it's also modern to the degree that there's a cage (Rambaa was Thailand's first MMA World Champion), sometimes grappling training, and a large flat-screen TV that plays fights from Entertainment Muay Thai promotions and UFC while the kids train.

#86 Rambaa Somdet M16 3  - The Art of the Stinging Attack (67 min) watch it here

Contact on FB: Baan Rambaa

Silk Muay Thai and Kitchen (Pattaya) - this gym was founded by a former student of Tappaya Sor. Klinmee. Daniel learned in a traditional pedagogy of Thai style gym and he's made a concerted effort to honor and maintain the "Thainess" of training in Thailand, while also having a very comfortable, familiar style of training for westerners. His current gym is on the edge of a lake, which lends for beautiful runs and a nice breeze coming through the open side of the space, nice equipment and spacious training room. He is building a new location, so the set up will change from what I'm describing about the lake, but the new space is meant to be bigger and I've driven past the site and it's still a lovely, out-of-the-way area. It's about 20 minutes from Pattaya Beach, so you're close enough to the city that you would never lack for anything or feel isolated, but it's far enough that it's a quiet and beautiful area. Daneil works with his students, holding pads, clinching and sparring with them himself. He has Thai trainers who have been through a few of Pattaya's other gyms (this is common, but it's also great in that they all have a community relationship among them), he has a small number of Thai fighters, and a large group of western students with a variety of motivations. He is connected to the fight promotions both local and in Bangkok, so it is a fighter's gym.

Find them on FB: Silk Muay Thai

Gyms I Haven't Been To in While But Probably Still Recommended

Kem Muaythai Gym - clinch heavy, gorgeous mountain location, run by a great fighter in Kem, access to Isaan festival cards. 

Kem's Muay Thai gym may be one of the best in Thailand, high up on a mountain near Khorat. I call it the Shaolin Experience. Big beautiful resort like grounds, grueling training sessions, at times lots of active fighters. The connection to Isaan fighting is very special, there is nothing quite like festival fighting. It's one of the best experiences you'll have as a fighter. I wrote about the gym a few years ago here: Kem Muaythai Gym: Hardcore, Beautiful, Clinch Gym - You can see Kem's teaching style in the Muay Thai Library: Session 1: Building a System (52 min), Session 2: Mastering Everything In Between (80 min)

Hongthong Gym (Chiang Mai - contact here) - My private with Joe Hongthong was absolutely wonderful. He thinks creatively about the fighter I am, and then about how to enhance that. They've had successful women fighting out of their gym, and from personal experience I'd say that if you are a Muay Khao fighter Joe would make a wonderful teacher. The gym is very connected to the local Chiang Mai fight scene, and to Bangkok fight opportunities and is very fighter-oriented. mid-sized western fighters seem like they've had success training and fighting out of this gym. Watch Joe's training style: Developing the Muay Khao Style | 87 Minutes - Joe Hongthong - Chiang Mai

Please post all gym recommendation questions you have for me here on this thread, or start your own thread. That way the conversation can develop and benefit others too! (This list and its descriptions will be revised over time)

• Like 9

Gyms that I have heard positive things about, or which I visited and have qualities that might appeal to a certain kind of traveler/student/fighter. These are not gym reviews, just quick impressions.

Sitjaopho (Hua Hin) - This is a gym in Hua Hin that is quiet popular with those looking for "technical" instruction. It has a strong Swedish connection, as well as a following with some from the East Coast (USA). I've have experienced one afternoon session here and was really impressed by the organization and work put in by everyone. Kru F is the captain of the ship and works directly with his students, sparring and padwork and clinching, and he seems to set the tone that is carried on by everyone in the space. There is a LOT of sparring (very light, very technical), padwork, shadowboxing, some students hit the bag but most didn't,  and about 30 minutes of clinch (many participating, but not all), followed by group conditioning. Friendly space, dedicated students, Thai trainers and on this day all non-Thai students, but everyone on the same program from beginners to definitely-experienced fighters.

Chatchai Sasakul Gym (BKK) - the former WBC world champion boxer Chatchai is highly recommended if you want to work on your boxing. Precise technician, great instructor. Probably the best boxing gym in Thailand, home of several current world champions. Private sessions are best. You can see a full private session with him here. They also have some nearby accommodation for longer-term stays as well.

Dejrat Gym (BKK) - This is a hidden gem in Bangkok run by the coach of the Thai National Team, Arjan Surat. Watch our session together. It just is a very "Thai" gym, so I couldn't recommend it in a broad way, either in a cultural or instruction sense. It's no-nonsense Muay Thai that is focused on its serious Thai fighters. They have had experience with female fighters. Go here only if you want some sort of immersion, are prepared to work very hard, and be positioned in a traditional hierarchy. Not a lot of English spoken. My session with Arjan Surat: Arjan Surat 2 - His Old School Tough & Defensive Style (94 min)

Burklerk's Gym (Lampang, contact here) - outstanding instruction from a Legend in sleepy and beautiful Lampang. He and his wife have opened up a brand new resort style gym in Lampang. I wrote about his original home gym here: Burklerk's Family Run Gym in Lampang. Burklerk has a beautiful, powerful style and each time I visit I learn things. Even 5 minutes with him is gold. It's a small community gym in a quiet neighborhood, but not a fighter's gym really. Go there for the time with Burklerk, but there won't be much sparring or clinching. My session with Arjan Burklerk in his original home location: Burklerk PInsinchai - Dynamic Symmetry (82 min)

Keatkhamtorn Gym (Bangkok) - This gym is an authentic kai muay gym in Bangkok in that it is still very focused on growing Muay Thai stadium champions from an early age. This means that it is a great gym for small bodied westerners especially those interested in immersive clinch. Immersive clinch the way Thais learned, but be warned it takes a while.They have tons of young male fighters between 45-52 kg, and are a Muay Khao gym, which means that you'll be encouraged to develop proper clinch fighting habits. I will definitely make this my clinch gym when in Bangkok. The owner, Teerawat Chukorn is a Police Captain and very kind, and speaks English. You can contact them through their Facebook page which will respond in English.

PK Saenchai Gym (Bangkok) I have never been to this ggymduring regular training at all, but it is a favorite of Westerners both who are seeking to train under a big name and those who have been in Thailand for a long while and decide to move over there for the fight opportunities and training alongside contemporary stars of Muay Thai. A head trainer is Detduang Pongsawang, who was a great fighter in the Golden Age. From what I understand it's a kind of "build a bear" method for training, so you can decide how much or how little you want to do by speaking with the manager and he works it all out for you. He sounds very personable and his English is very good.

• Like 10
  • The Greatest 1

Just throwing this out there: an interesting thing would be to build a criteria list for judging/recommending gyms, maybe something like:

Active Young Thai Fighters - young, developing Thai fighters are a sign that the gym is a living Thai-focused gym that does not only prioritize western tourist, commercial interests

Active of Top Stadia Thai Fighters - some people find this to be important. It's great to have high level examples to look at and imitate.

Convenience of Location - how hard is it to get to?

Surrounding Location - what is the surrounding location like? Is it hospitable? Enjoyable to live around?

Gym Atmosphere - what does the gym feel like, it's tone?

Food - If food is served (or local food options) what is it like?

Fight Opportunities - how easily can you get fights, and what kinds of fights? And how invested is the gym in finding you fights, and why?

Female Safety and Respect - is there is history of respecting female fighters and students? are there reports of unwanted advances? are females given top training and enough fight opportunities? 

Ownership - Management - sometimes management/ownership can be a big positive for a gym. It speaks to the gym's motivations. It can also help smooth difficulties.

Language - How much Thai do you need to know? Is English spoken? Are there other western language connections? (Some gyms have specific ties to other countries...Sweden, Italy, etc)

Trainer Stability/Turnover - this can go two ways. Sometimes trainers never turnover, and become really entrenched in negatives or lack of caring. too much turnover can suggest unstable management.

Quality of Equipment/Facility - some people find new equipment important.

Cleanliness - gym cleanliness can reflect the quality of care invested by owners/management. Some people also find this to be very important.

Clinch Training - does the gym provide substantial clinch training, practice?

Pad Work Training - what is padwork like? Is it consistent? Between different trainers?

Technical Instruction - is there much technical instruction or correction? some people really value and look for this.

Privates - Are privates offered worth the cost? And do you have to pay for privates in order to get good instruction/training?

Training Partners - Are there training partners for your size? Are they Thai?

Affordability - How does the gym compare in price to others of its kind and location, short term, long term.

Long Term Stay Opportunities - If you want to stay longer term, are there benefits? Discounts, sponsorship?

Living Quarters/Options - Is there onsite lodging, if so what is it like? What are nearby apartment options like, cost and quality?

Farang Gym Culture - Is there a long term western gym culture? If so, what is it like?

Off-Time Entertainment Options - What are the things to do on off-days?

Maybe add any aspects you find important if I missed any?

• Like 8

Question for Sylvie here. 

I was expecting to see Petchrungruang gym in your list? Can you explain why it is not?

There's maybe a few reasons I don't put it on the list. The first is that the things that make Petchrungruang so good for me really don't apply to most other people. I'm a small woman (47 kg) who specializes in clinch, and I'm a fighter who fights a lot and books my own fights. What is great about Petchrungruang is really my relationship with the family, and how much clinching I can get as a small female. And of course the padholding and guidance of Pi Nu. But Petchrungruang is a slow cook method gym. There usually isn't a lot of technical instruction or correction, instead there is lots of doing, and lots of self-directed training (I plan and do my own bag rounds, my own side drills, etc). Its teaching method is designed to turn kids into fighters over years. This isn't what a lot of western students or fighters are looking for. 

Also, I don't really like "selling" my gym. I've written a lot about it so if people have read me over the years they know what it is about. And in some ways I'd like to keep the gym my little secret. I don't want it to change with the arrival of students and fighters who expect things different than it is. And I really don't recommend it for most people because I feel that they would be happier somewhere else. It's just a small family gym that does things in a quiet way, focused on raising Thai boys to be stadium fighters and I like that.

That being said I have extended the offer for women to come and train with me, but that is different than putting the gym on a recommended list.

• Like 7

Thank you Sylvie for this detailed explanation. I thought, there was a bit of  "And in some ways I'd like to keep the gym my little secret." ;)

I was also wondering. I know that Phuket is not known for being the most serious place to train but if one would like to train there to be in a beach area what gym would you, or others, suggest. What would be the 3 top gym in Phuket or other beach area? From my research online these are the top 3 gym I found. 

1- Singpatong Sitnumnoi: Seems like a very legit gym with serious fighters thought more western fighters seem to train there (mostly from France)

2- Simbi muay thai: from what I read seems fight oriented but also female "friendly" 

3- Tiger Muay thai : That would really not be my first choice since it seems too much like a western gym and I don't really care about the tech facility and the BJJ. 

Thank you Sylvie for this detailed explanation. I thought, there was a bit of  "And in some ways I'd like to keep the gym my little secret." ;)

I was also wondering. I know that Phuket is not known for being the most serious place to train but if one would like to train there to be in a beach area what gym would you, or others, suggest. What would be the 3 top gym in Phuket or other beach area? From my research online these are the top 3 gym I found. 

1- Singpatong Sitnumnoi: Seems like a very legit gym with serious fighters thought more western fighters seem to train there (mostly from France)

2- Simbi muay thai: from what I read seems fight oriented but also female "friendly" 

3- Tiger Muay thai : That would really not be my first choice since it seems too much like a western gym and I don't really care about the tech facility and the BJJ. 

I really hesitate to comment on Phuket gyms as this just seems like another world, very far from the Muay Thai training that I know. But I can at least give you my impression from things I've heard. Sinbi once had a very strong female Muay Thai presence, and lots of female fighters, but I've heard darker stories from more than one source. And a woman who is now a friend of mine, wrote a guest blog post about her experiences there which were so disappointing she flew out and came to train with me. Many of the longer term fighters like Gemma and Teresa also left Sinbi, so it seems that something is up. This isn't to say that women can't have very positive experiences there, in fact I've heard from a few who loved it, you can read Kay Khanomtom's very positive review of Sinbi on this forum. Gyms go through phases, and expectation plays a lot into experiences. For me though there are enough mixed messages that I just would tell a friend to stay away. As to Singpatong and Tiger, I really know nothing much at all through the grapevine. 

The only other gyms I could only very loosely suggest to look at for female-friendly reputation is Sutai Muay Thai a gym part owned I believe by Marcela Soto, a western female very active fighter, which also has a very experienced female Thai fighter, Buakaw, who is a trainer there. They seem well connected, and do have beach photos posted. Also Sumalee Boxing is owned by a western woman, Lynne Miller. From what I heard the gym went through a kind of purge a year or so ago, partly related to inappropriate advances, and completely remade its instructor staff, with an eye towards female safety. This is a very difficult thing for a gym to do. Usually when established, valuable Krus violate trust like that in Thailand ownership just turns the other way. So if what I heard was correct, Lynne really deserves credit. 

But talking about this for me is like talking about another planet. I don't even have a concept of how gyms relate to beach life, how far they are from them, or how people integrate the two.

• Like 2

Thank you. 

I have another follow up question. The thing is I am planning to go train in Thailand for a few months next year (I have a MCL partial tear that needs to heal and I need to save money so realistically it will be in about a year). 

I will probably go to Lana for the most part. But my girlfriend is suppose to join me eventually in the trip. Probably the last 3 weeks or so. I would say she's not super serious in her training yet (not that she as to become) would probably train only once a day and I thought that the area of Phuket might be nicer than a city setting. But I don't know, I never being in Thailand. That's why I am looking for a women friendly gym. I would guess thought that the dynamic of possible unwanted advances or agressions is very less likely if you arrive at the gym as a couple? (that's my actual question because I know your husband is often around when you train) But I would also like for her to be able to have female training partners (thought she's pretty big, she would probably need western partners since she's 6' and 135lbs) and a place that she feels welcome to. 

All that said, I don't know. Maybe Chiang Mai is also very nice to visit and from what I understand of Lana, it could be a nice place for her to train, also considering the fact that I would have been there for a while, know the trainers and the other fighters and stuff. 

Can you share you thoughts on this?

Thank you

Thank you. 

I have another follow up question. The thing is I am planning to go train in Thailand for a few months next year (I have a MCL partial tear that needs to heal and I need to save money so realistically it will be in about a year). 

I will probably go to Lana for the most part. But my girlfriend is suppose to join me eventually in the trip. Probably the last 3 weeks or so. I would say she's not super serious in her training yet (not that she as to become) would probably train only once a day and I thought that the area of Phuket might be nicer than a city setting. But I don't know, I never being in Thailand. That's why I am looking for a women friendly gym. I would guess thought that the dynamic of possible unwanted advances or agressions is very less likely if you arrive at the gym as a couple? (that's my actual question because I know your husband is often around when you train) But I would also like for her to be able to have female training partners (thought she's pretty big, she would probably need western partners since she's 6' and 135lbs) and a place that she feels welcome to. 

All that said, I don't know. Maybe Chiang Mai is also very nice to visit and from what I understand of Lana, it could be a nice place for her to train, also considering the fact that I would have been there for a while, know the trainers and the other fighters and stuff. 

Can you share you thoughts on this?

Thank you

Yes, you are correct. If you are in a couple advances will be much less likely. My husband isn't really around my training for the last 2 years, and I've learned how to create my own personal borders, but in the beginning when we moved to Thailand it was an advantage to have him in the gym in the afternoons. 

I can't really comment on Phuket and beach life. I haven't a clue what that is like. I would maybe just say that because you are going to be at Lanna you'll have a really good opportunity to figure out if she'd like it or not. It's very laid back, but you can get good hard work in too. You can also have her meet you there, see how she likes Chiang Mai, which is a beautiful city, and then weigh if you want to fly down to the islands. The thing to keep in mind is that it is much more expensive in the islands than it is in Chiang Mai, which is one of the least expensive areas of Thailand that easily accommodates westerners.

• Like 1

I would maybe just say that because you are going to be at Lanna you'll have a really good opportunity to figure out if she'd like it or not. It's very laid back, but you can get good hard work in too. You can also have her meet you there, see how she likes Chiang Mai, which is a beautiful city, and then weigh if you want to fly down to the islands. The thing to keep in mind is that it is much more expensive in the islands than it is in Chiang Mai, which is one of the least expensive areas of Thailand that easily accommodates westerners.

Thanks again. Actually, I've "decided" on Lana after talking to you on facebook (facebook name being Joseph Arthur de Gonzo). I think your advice of not booking in advance and trying two gyms before I take a final decision is very sensible so I think I'll do that.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks again. Actually, I've "decided" on Lana after talking to you on facebook (facebook name being Joseph Arthur de Gonzo). I think your advice of not booking in advance and trying two gyms before I take a final decision is very sensible so I think I'll do that.

Bingo!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Silvie!

You recommend Sasakul, but you mean only if you're interested in focusing on boxing ??

How about the new location?

I will be by BKK in a few days, and I would like to know if it is possible to have private sessions with Karuhat.

I was thinking about maybe training a week in Sasakul ...

Regards

• Like 1

Hi Silvie!

You recommend Sasakul, but you mean only if you're interested in focusing on boxing ??

How about the new location?

I will be by BKK in a few days, and I would like to know if it is possible to have private sessions with Karuhat.

I was thinking about maybe training a week in Sasakul ...

Regards

Sasakul gym is really a boxing gym (with several world champions). But the private lessons with Chatchai will improve your balance for Muay Thai, 100%. If you are going to be in BKK in the next 3 weeks you might be able to get privates with Karuhat, but I'm not sure. Send Sylvie a message on her FB page and maybe she can help arrange https://www.facebook.com/sylviemuaythai/

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I am planning to go to Thailand next year July 2019. I have looked through for gyms such as Santai Muay Thai, Sitmonchai gym, Hongthong gym, charn chai Muay Thai and kiatphontip gym. If anyone could give me more recommendations or past experiences on the gyms listed above it would be of great help :)

Side Note: I have considered lamnammoon Muay Thai in isaan, wondering if anyone have past experiences and I would love to train there.

Thank you and have lovely day

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

We filmed an entire session at Sangtiennoi's gym, just to give an inside look at what training there is like, one of the more "authentic" Muay Thai gyms with a history of training high level westerners as well. [edit in, November 2021 - seeing that I posted this, Sangtiennoi has since sadly passed away. The gym is still open and being run by his wife and his son Moses who have survived him.]

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, this is just a gold mine. Wherever you turn your head around here, you encounter such thorough content, whether it is a thread in the forum or a post on patreon. I woke up to your post about the best of BKK Muay Thai, Sylvie, and decided to give it a full read later today, when I realised how long it was. It occured to me how crazy it is that that is benchmarked as just a post, I mean so much work and such quality - and then it's just right there, served along with my morning coffee. Damn. I also just finished all of Muay Thai bones, don't know what to do from here... Amazing work that you two put into this, really. Thank you!

• Nak Muay 1

Reading the updated and revised list if I could just add my own twist to it all, I think Kru Thailand's gym is the most fascinating gym of all of them. This is something we experienced in other gyms that is really special. When a gym is building a class or two of Thai fighters (age groups or weight classes), and the fighters are all being directed by a Golden Age serious kru, this is a beautiful thing to be folded into if you can. It's never sure how long this will last. One year, three years, its hard to tell, but there are special times in Thai gyms that are not organized around westerners, when if you are there you get a very different experience. This would be a gym I'd want Sylvie to train at if she were living in Chiang Mai. It's just a vibe we felt while filming there, and something you can see in the live streams that Kru Thailand puts out. This of course is not a blanket recommendation, because people are at different levels, have different needs, have differing tolerances. It's just based on the feeling I recognize from that gym's example. Take it for what it is worth.

2 hours ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Reading the updated and revised list if I could just add my own twist to it all, I think Kru Thailand's gym is the most fascinating gym of all of them. This is something we experienced in other gyms that is really special. When a gym is building a class or two of Thai fighters (age groups or weight classes), and the fighters are all being directed by a Golden Age serious kru, this is a beautiful thing to be folded into if you can. It's never sure how long this will last. One year, three years, its hard to tell, but there are special times in Thai gyms that are not organized around westerners, when if you are there you get a very different experience. This would be a gym I'd want Sylvie to train at if she were living in Chiang Mai. It's just a vibe we felt while filming there, and something you can see in the live streams that Kru Thailand puts out. This of course is not a blanket recommendation, because people are at different levels, have different needs, have differing tolerances. It's just based on the feeling I recognize from that gym's example. Take it for what it is worth.

Hello Kevin, I tried to look at the video of the live stream, but the link is dead and I can't find it on their facebook page, do you still have access to it on your side?

Also, I guess Kru Thailand would not be suited for a heavyweight/cruiserweight right? 

3 minutes ago, Joseph Arthur De Gonzo said:

I tried to look at the video of the live stream, but the link is dead and I can't find it on their facebook page, do you still have access to it on your side?

Unfortunately he deleted the live stream (maybe so his fighters can't be studied). Sylvie put it up as it was streaming. If you follow the gym they do stream fairly often.

4 minutes ago, Joseph Arthur De Gonzo said:

Also, I guess Kru Thailand would not be suited for a heavyweight/cruiserweight right? 

It would really depend on your skill level, and your training needs. But no, at this date it doesn't look like fighters close to your weight. But, if you are there for technique Kru Thailand is ON POINT.

2 hours ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Unfortunately he deleted the live stream (maybe so his fighters can't be studied). Sylvie put it up as it was streaming. If you follow the gym they do stream fairly often.

It would really depend on your skill level, and your training needs. But no, at this date it doesn't look like fighters close to your weight. But, if you are there for technique Kru Thailand is ON POINT.

Thank you