Meenayothin Muay Thai Camp in Bangkok

PAUPAU

Hi!

I am going to Thailand and I'd like to train in a camp in Bangkok for one week. I have read some very good reviews regarding Meenayothin. Yet, as they were published few years ago, I am wondering whether they are still accurate.

Has anyone trained there?

Obviously, one week is really short and won't be enough to have a significant impact. Yet, I am looking for a camp where I could get a serious training (ie, I want to improve my technique, I don't want to try just for 'fun"), and in the meantime a camp with a nice atmosphere. On their Facebook page, it seems that trainers care about women. I hope it's true, and I would be grateful if anyone could share his/ her experience there.

Thanks!

Howdy, I have never trained at this gym but the landlord of my apartment building - who also trains MMA - has trained there for many months now and has spoken highly of it. Usually gyms which feature women heavily in their social media are popular with middle-class women who take Muay Thai for fitness, which is actually very good in terms of being friendly to women. But it might mean it's not heavy on technique or correction. In that case, however, you can always ask for more correction. Usually trainers are happy to help.

• 1 year later...

Well, I guess it's better to be late than to do nothing, so I'd like my experience in that camp.

I went there about 1.5 years ago for one week, so there might have been some changes now.

Training

Morning running started at 5.30 am and lasted till 7am. The journey is quite simple, we were jogging altogether (though at a slightly different pace) in the university's compound (so no street dogs!).

Then we come back at the gym, wrapp our hands and do shadow boxing (as long as you want- no one will tell you to stop).

Then, some do pad works with the trainers (if I remember well it was 3x3’/4’) while other are on the bags.

Sometimes they call you for clinching or sparring (either muay Thai or western boxing) but it happened only few times for me. And then you do some abs alone (though sometimes they did some collective training)

Training ends at 9am, then you have time to take a shower and eat breakfast at the gym.

The afternoon training started at 3.30pm and lasted till 6pm. Again, dinner is served afterwards.

Quite the same routine as the morning.

Gym

The gym is conveniently located near Bang Kheng train station, on the line to Don Muang airport. It's a very quiet area, mostly hosting residences. There is a 7/11 nearby, and if you walk like 20min you could find many shops, a market etc.

It has one ring, some sandbags which seem to be made of concrete (they were definitely the hardest I have ever hit, so don't use 8oz gloves otherwise you will destroy your hands).

Many mosquitoes at night.

Trainers

There were two muay Thai trainers, rather short, plus a western boxing coach, who mainly trains the champ’. They gave me some tips while doing pad work, and sometimes while I was on the bag. But their English was basic.

The “timekeeper” (yeah, they did it the old style) was also looking at me and trying to explain me some techniques.

It was definitely a gym for fighters. They train a lot of Thais, kids and adults alike. However as you said they also welcome drop ins, and some women trained there on the afternoons. But again, don't expect fitness classes like in Europe, here you will mostly sweat on the ring but when you are done no one will be pushing you on the bags.

Atmosphere

By the time I was there (very beginning of January), there were some foreigners. Actually a french gym is partnering with them, so they send students (I guess mostly during summer and winter holidays). Yet we didn't talk that much during lunch (maybe because the gym had WiFi so everybody was on the phone!). We ate on a table, separately from the Thais that were eating on the mats. Yet a French asked to eat with them, so we could join them.

Trainers and staffs were really nice and helpful. They gave bottle of drinking water at the beginning of each session, and really want you to eat with the others. They also dropped me at the airport for free at the end of my stay.

Accomodation

By the time I was there, I was alone in my 2-beds room, located in a condo at a 5min walk from the gym. There was AC, a small balcony, a fridge and a desk, and a bathroom. My bed was ok but the other one was really hard. There was no WiFi in the room (so it was a good digital break).

Food

This is undoubtedly one of their strength. Food was really good, diverse and it was almost an all you-can-eat buffet! We always had a soup, rice, and many curries (dish, chicken, or omelette, etc.) and they replenished the table. So I never felt hungry here, not did I fell sick.

I liked my experience here. It was nice to have this authentic experience. Indeed, as I was training for only one week I didn't expect much improvement of my technique, so the lack of heavy focus on clinching and basic movements was not that bothering for me. Hence, I recommend this gym particularly for fighters, or for people seeking to have an authentic experience.

I thinks it's all I can say about this gym. If you have any questions I'll be glad to try remembering more!

I just came back from very few days of training at Luktupfah (Bangkok) and I'd like to share my experience.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• He told me he was teaching at a gym in Chong Chom, Surin - which is right next to the Cambodian border.  Or has he decided to make use of the border crossing?  🤔
    • Here is a 6 minute audio wherein a I phrase the argument speaking in terms of Thailand's Muay Femeu and Spinoza's Ethics.    
    • Leaving aside the literary for a moment, the relationship between "techniques" and style (& signature) is a meaningful one to explore, especially for the non-Thai who admires the sport and wishes to achieve proficiency, or even mastery. Mostly for pedagogic reasons (that is, acute differences in training methods, along with a culture & subjectivity of training, a sociological thread), the West and parts of Asia tend to focus on "technical" knowledge, often with a biomechanical emphasis. A great deal of emphasis is put on learning to some precision the shape of the Thai kick or its elbow, it's various executions, in part because visually so much of Thailand's Muay Thai has appeared so visually clean (see: Precision – A Basic Motivation Mistake in Some Western Training). Because much of the visual inspiration for foreign learned techniques often come from quite elevated examples of style and signature, the biomechanical emphasis enters just on the wrong level. The techniques displayed are already matured and expressed in stylistics. (It would be like trying to learn Latin or French word influences as found in Nabakov's English texts.) In the real of stylistics, timing & tempo, indeed musicality are the main drivers of efficacy. Instead, Thais learn much more foundational techniques - with far greater variance, and much less "correction" - principally organized around being at ease, tamachat, natural. The techne (τέχνη), the mechanics, that ground stylistics, are quite basic, and are only developmentally deployed in the service of style (& signature), as it serves to perform dominance in fights. The advanced, expressive nature of Thai technique is already woven into the time and tempo of stylistics. This is one reason why the Muay Thai Library project involves hour long, unedited training documentation, so that the style itself is made evident - something that can even have roots in a fighter's personality and disposition. These techne are already within a poiesis (ποίησις), a making, a becoming. Key to unlocking these basic forms is the priority of balance and ease (not biomechanical imitations of the delivery of forces), because balance and ease allow their creative use in stylistics.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
    • I see that this thread is from three years ago, and I hope your journey with Muay Thai and mental health has evolved positively during this time. It's fascinating to revisit these discussions and reflect on how our understanding of such topics can grow. The connection between training and mental health is intricate, as you've pointed out. Finding the right balance between pushing yourself and self-care is a continuous learning process. If you've been exploring various avenues for managing mood-related issues over these years, you might want to revisit the topic of mental health resources. One such resource is The UK Medical Cannabis Card, which can provide insights into alternative treatments.
    • Phetjeeja fought Anissa Meksen for a ONE FC interim atomweight kickboxing title 12/22/2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu92S6-V5y0&ab_channel=ONEChampionship Fight starts at 45:08 Phetjeeja won on points. Not being able to clinch really handicapped her. I was afraid the ref was going to start deducting points for clinch fouls.   
    • Earlier this year I wrote a couple of sociology essays that dealt directly with Muay Thai, drawing on Sylvie's journalism and discussions on the podcast to do so. I thought I'd put them up here in case they were of any interest, rather than locking them away with the intention to perfectly rewrite them 'some day'. There's not really many novel insights of my own, rather it's more just pulling together existing literature with some of the von Duuglus-Ittu's work, which I think is criminally underutilised in academic discussions of MT. The first, 'Some meanings of muay' was written for an ideology/sosciology of knowledge paper, and is an overly long, somewhat grindy attempt to give a combined historical, institutional, and situated study of major cultural meanings of Muay Thai as a form of strength. The second paper, 'the fighter's heart' was written for a qualitative analysis course, and makes extensive use of interviews and podcast discussions to talk about some ways in which the gendered/sexed body is described/deployed within Muay Thai. There's plenty of issues with both, and they're not what I'd write today, and I'm learning to realise that's fine! some meanings of muay.docx The fighter's heart.docx
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts