Hi I'm Gavin.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it but I thought I'd start a training log here. I'm a beginner in Muay Thai. I trained for one month in Phuket last year and did another month in my hometown before moving across country and getting sick.

I've just joined a new gym. I set a goal to log 1000 hours of striking training over the next 18 months (mt, boxing, kickboxing).

I work full time and I'm obese (103kg at 5'10'), so I have some challenges ahead, but I really love martial arts.

I have competed in Judo and Brazilian jiu jitsu, but stopped grappling due to injuring both my elbows and what seems to be an issue with extended gripping...

Some auxillary goals are getting to a fighting weight (I competed in BJJ at 67kg, and judo at 73,81kg), and competing.

I reckon I've done about 40 hours so far, but only 7hrs and 15 minutes since I started counting. My end date is Oct 17, 2016.

Reading Sylvie's blog and her goal of reaching 100 fights inspired me to set this goal. I know for some people it may not seem like a difficult goal, but for me it is. It's a stretch. I'm not sure if I can do it to be honest. I'm 30, overweight and out of shape and with a chronic overuse injury in my arms. I'm recovering from being sick for over 2 months and I'm also not sure if I'm tough enough.

So for me, it's a big goal. I am going to do my best to reach it. So please follow along and comment.

P.S. I had to edit the date as I had put 2015, instead of 2016!

• Like 9

That's awesome! Way to go, and I think here is certainly the right place to do this! 103 kg to 70kg is a long way to go, but you've played sports well enough to compete before, so I'm sure you have the discipline to stick to your goal. Keep us posted!

• Like 3

Very cool! Best of luck, Gavin!! If you have questions, or need support, this is definitely the place to find it. Looking forward to following your progress.

• Like 2

Thank you Darina and Jago! Tonight I did 1 hour of boxing. We practiced jab, cross, hook, cross then hook, cross off the bob and weave.

My goal for this week is to do 5 sessions on 5 different days. The week after I will do 6 sessions on 6 days, and the week after that I will either add a 7th or 8th session. What I mean by sessions is that my gym does an hour class in boxing or muay thai and then usually a second one and a half hour class.

So the goal will be to eventually do 2.5 hours a day Mon - Thursday, and then pick up another 2-2.5 hours on friday and saturday with my own training. I'm not exactly sure how I will structure it yet. I may be able to pick up an hour in the morning also, but I will consider that later. If I can afford it I might do a session with a trainer once a week so that I can get more padwork in.

8hr 15 min

• Like 3

Tonight I did 1 hour of Muay Thai. Main technique was left inside left kick, cross, hook, outside right kick. Also trained right hand, left hook, right body kick, right knee.

9hr 15 min.

• Like 3

This is awesome Gavin.

I went to Sitmonchai Gym today to meet Kelly Creegan ("It's Pandamonium") in person, interview her, and in the process have a training session at her gym. It's always a little awkward to work with different padholders, the first time around, because you're getting used to each other. But it's also really cool because they don't know you and so they can't help but suss out your weaknesses, strengths, and push you toward their own leanings. So I got to learn a new hook today.

Worked on left body hook to right leg kick. Right cross to the body, left hook to the head. Stepping forward on hooking punches rather than to the side (that as hard, but so much power!)

Maybe when you're feeling like you need a little support you can let us know and we can all pledge to do "Gavin's workout" for the day, albeit even if we are doing it on different days of the week due to schedules. Kind of take part in your hours with you, so to speak. It would be meaningful to me, personally, to be with you in this goal.

• Like 5

Sylive, thanks so much. Part of the reason I joined this forum was to surround myself with good people. I'm excited that you'll be with me as I reach my goal. Likewise, if I can support you, let me know!

I did an hour of boxing tonight. The combination we praticed was a little complex.

Block right body shot, right uppercut, left, right, left hook, right straight, left, righ, left hook, weave and step left, left uppercut, left straight, right uppercut, right straight, block right body shot, right uppercut, left, right, left hook.

Does that even make sense?!

At the moment my legs ache after class, it's kinda a bit hard to stand. I'm massaging deepheat and stuff like that into my legs. I'll get there.

10hr 15min... and just like that 1% of my goal has ticked over!

• Like 3

I did an hour of boxing tonight. The combination we praticed was a little complex.

Block right body shot, right uppercut, left, right, left hook, right straight, left, righ, left hook, weave and step left, left uppercut, left straight, right uppercut, right straight, block right body shot, right uppercut, left, right, left hook.

Does that even make sense?!

10hr 15min... and just like that 1% of my goal has ticked over!

I can see that combo - it loops right back into itself.

• Like 1

Thankyou missmuaythai, I think I might be training at your old gym.

Sylvie, 100%. It was looping around.

Tonight I did one hour of Muay Thai. We practiced throwing a knee and then as your partner goes to return the knee you push them to off balance them and throw a body kick... I suppose it could be a head kick or leg kick as well? I like this technique and I could see how you could use it other situations. For example: push off from the clinch and straight away throw the right kick.

Tomorrow is my last day of training for the week, there is no class, so I'll go into the gym, skip, shadow box, then do bag rounds. My focus will be all the techniques I learned this week. This is the great thing about having it written down. I can go back and refresh my mind before the session.

I have a couple of thoughts... I need to improve my flexibility and do something to loosen my hips. When they're not sufficiently warmed up I can barely kick past my partners hips.

Secondly, I am titrating up my training, and I wonder whether six days next week or five days, with an extra class on a day or two is better? I originally planed six days, but I now think five days with an additional classes might be better. Thoughts?

11hr15

• Like 1

I have a couple of thoughts... I need to improve my flexibility and do something to loosen my hips. When they're not sufficiently warmed up I can barely kick past my partners hips.

Hey Gavin, it's great that you're making notes of the techniques, this will definitely help to review the techniques in an off-day!! Props to you for this idea!

As for flexibility, you HAVE to warm up thoroughly! :) I like to to do a basic routine that warms up all my joints, then some light cardio to warm up the muscles and only then I start with LIGHT stretches. A good thing is also to stretch after a class. I often stay 20-30 minutes late, sometimes even an hour and stretch all possible liagments and muscles that worked during the class. I like it :)

• Like 3

This is awesome man. A log is a great way to keep yourself accountable and also get some extra support if you need any. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and please give a shout if you are feeling burnt out at some point. Everyone goes through it, and I'm pretty sure everyone here is more than willing to get you over the hump. I also have lost a lot of weight through Muay Thai, it's a great medium for that. Keep us posted!

• Like 4

Thankyou missmuaythai, I think I might be training at your old gym.

Secondly, I am titrating up my training, and I wonder whether six days next week or five days, with an extra class on a day or two is better? I originally planed six days, but I now think five days with an additional classes might be better. Thoughts?

11hr15

Where are you training?

As for your training, I would personally recommend trying 1 session a day, 6 days a week. I suggest this because you can then use the rest of your day recovering and relaxing. I know a lot of people who struggle with two a day and you want to avoid burning out at this stage.

This is of ccourse just my opinon. Would love to hear some others thoughts?

• Like 1

Hey Gavin, it's great that you're making notes of the techniques, this will definitely help to review the techniques in an off-day!! Props to you for this idea!

As for flexibility, you HAVE to warm up thoroughly! :) I like to to do a basic routine that warms up all my joints, then some light cardio to warm up the muscles and only then I start with LIGHT stretches. A good thing is also to stretch after a class. I often stay 20-30 minutes late, sometimes even an hour and stretch all possible liagments and muscles that worked during the class. I like it :)

Hi Micc, thanks for this advice. I think the answer is staying after class and doing my own stretching like you. I'm going to commit to stretching after every class. Thank you.

This is awesome man. A log is a great way to keep yourself accountable and also get some extra support if you need any. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and please give a shout if you are feeling burnt out at some point. Everyone goes through it, and I'm pretty sure everyone here is more than willing to get you over the hump. I also have lost a lot of weight through Muay Thai, it's a great medium for that. Keep us posted!

Thanks Tyler. Will certainly call out if I need some help. I have to say today I was feeling a bit run down. It was the last day of 5 days in a row. I literally haven't trained like that in probably 7 years or more... If you like I'd love to hear more about your story and weight loss. Cheers.

Where are you training?

As for your training, I would personally recommend trying 1 session a day, 6 days a week. I suggest this because you can then use the rest of your day recovering and relaxing. I know a lot of people who struggle with two a day and you want to avoid burning out at this stage.

This is of ccourse just my opinon. Would love to hear some others thoughts?

Absolute mma in melbourne. It wouldn't be two a day as in split sessions, more like do the boxing class and stay and immediately do muay thai? So 2.5 hours instead of 1 on that day... I definitely want to avoid burn out this early as I'm just beginning, so I'll definitely consider what you're saying. Thank you.

Today I did 1 hour of shadow boxing, bag work and stretching. I really only went 100% one round. I didn't have much in me today, but I was able to practice a lot of the techniques I learned in class this week. As I add sessions in I think putting time into drilling these techniques will really help with my development.

I am down to 101.9kg. Ideally, I'd like to lose 1kg over the next week.

12hrs 15mins.

• Like 1

Absolute mma in melbourne. It wouldn't be two a day as in split sessions, more like do the boxing class and stay and immediately do muay thai? So 2.5 hours instead of 1 on that day... I definitely want to avoid burn out this early as I'm just beginning, so I'll definitely consider what you're saying. Thank you.

Today I did 1 hour of shadow boxing, bag work and stretching. I really only went 100% one round. I didn't have much in me today, but I was able to practice a lot of the techniques I learned in class this week. As I add sessions in I think putting time into drilling these techniques will really help with my development.

I am down to 101.9kg. Ideally, I'd like to lose 1kg over the next week.

12hrs 15mins.

Oh yay! You are at my home gym. That is awesome!!

Have you given any thought into adding in some of their functional strength and conditioning classes? Those might be good to look into as they are shorter but high intensity, although possibly lacking in the technique area you are focussing on. I highly recommend them. And the guys who usually run them are amazing and can really help you with your goals :)

• Like 2

Oh yay! You are at my home gym. That is awesome!!

Have you given any thought into adding in some of their functional strength and conditioning classes? Those might be good to look into as they are shorter but high intensity, although possibly lacking in the technique area you are focussing on. I highly recommend them. And the guys who usually run them are amazing and can really help you with your goals :)

Yep, it was the fourth gym I tried in Melb actually, and I thought it had the best instructors. At this stage I'm just building up the striking classes, but I'd like to do some strength work eventually if I can fit it in. I use to squat and deadlift often and I enjoy it... Thanks!

Tonight was 1 hour of boxing. I really enjoyed it, even though I felt not great during the day. I have a sleep disorder due to my weight, so sometimes (often) I wake up tired no matter how much I've slept. It's something I am looking forward to changing as my weight comes down.

The main combo tonight was jab, right uppercut, hook, cross, bob, cross, left uppercut, cross, hook.

I forgot to stretch at the gym, but when I got home I watched some cooking show on the internet while I stretched for about 20 mins.

I need to get my training up to 15hours a week otherwise I am not going to make my goal. There will be too much of a deficit to catch up. I might try and add two classes this week instead of one... we'll see how I go.

As a side note, you might be wondering why I chose 1000 hours. There is this succesful writer and businessman - Mark Ford, and before Malcom Gladwell published his book on 10,000 hours, Mark Ford was citing 1000 hours to competency, 5000 hours to mastery and 10,000 hours to virtuosity, with the caveat that virtuosity is only achieved in rare cirucmstances no matter how much work is done.

He also mentions that competency can be achieved sooner, around 700 hours, with great instruction.

So, that's why... hopefully by the end of my 1000 hours I will be competent.

13hr15min.

• Like 1

I did a muay thai class tonight. I'm actually too tired to write what we did out, but there was a lot of kicking. I stretched for about 20 mins when I got home.

I have a copy of Becoming A Supple Leopard so I'm going to pull that out to get some ideas for improving mobility. If you've never read it, I recommend it, I don't agree with everything in the book, but it's a good resource.

14hr15min

• Like 1

Gavin,

I was essentially working a job that I hated and also made it nearly impossible to work out. I also have struggled with sleep issues for many years related to depression and PTSD. I went a little nuts one day realizing I really really needed to change, I was caught in a downwards spiral. I sold everything I had and moved to Bangkok to train full-time. People thought I was nuts, but when there's a will there's a way. I haven't regretted it for an instant.

When I got here I was 93 kilos and now I'm walking around at about 73 - 75 kilos most days. Just had my first fight at 75 kilos last week, I'd like to get down to 70 for the next one!

Keep it up, being tired just means you're doing it right! :D

• Like 1

Hi Gavin,

I don't know the kg to lbs ratio, but currently I'm about 195lbs at 5'3". My heaviest was 210 more than a year ago. However, though my weight hasn't gone down much, I have lost inches and gained muscle. My point here being that if you don't see the weight change you're looking for, don't fret. Check your inches, you might see more change with that. Inches in your waist, arms, thighs, calves, etc. For me I've had a gain in my arms and legs, but a loss around my chest, ribcage, and waist, yet I still am about 60 lbs over. I've a long way to go also, as well as overcoming injury and illness, so I understand where you're coming from. Don't give up, we're here to support you :)

Also, I like the idea of doing boxing and muay thai back to back and not at two separate times. That's what I try to do, to get the most out of my workouts. I aim for 6 days, but usually only do 5.

• Like 2

Gavin,

I was essentially working a job that I hated and also made it nearly impossible to work out. I also have struggled with sleep issues for many years related to depression and PTSD. I went a little nuts one day realizing I really really needed to change, I was caught in a downwards spiral. I sold everything I had and moved to Bangkok to train full-time. People thought I was nuts, but when there's a will there's a way. I haven't regretted it for an instant.

When I got here I was 93 kilos and now I'm walking around at about 73 - 75 kilos most days. Just had my first fight at 75 kilos last week, I'd like to get down to 70 for the next one!

Keep it up, being tired just means you're doing it right! :D

Tyler, that's awesome mate. Have your health issues improved with dropping weight? How long will you stay in bangkok?

Hi Gavin,

I don't know the kg to lbs ratio, but currently I'm about 195lbs at 5'3". My heaviest was 210 more than a year ago. However, though my weight hasn't gone down much, I have lost inches and gained muscle. My point here being that if you don't see the weight change you're looking for, don't fret. Check your inches, you might see more change with that. Inches in your waist, arms, thighs, calves, etc. For me I've had a gain in my arms and legs, but a loss around my chest, ribcage, and waist, yet I still am about 60 lbs over. I've a long way to go also, as well as overcoming injury and illness, so I understand where you're coming from. Don't give up, we're here to support you :)

Also, I like the idea of doing boxing and muay thai back to back and not at two separate times. That's what I try to do, to get the most out of my workouts. I aim for 6 days, but usually only do 5.

It's a good point Michelle. I should start taking some measurements.  Do you have a goal with your training? I'm 224lbs at 5'10 as a comparison. I was 236 late last year :)

1hr of boxing tonight. Worked Jab, Cross, Hook, bob, left uppercut, right straight, hook, My legs were hurting a fair bit tonight, but I massaged them with tiger balm and it helped a bunch.

15hr15min

• Like 2

Goals.. Hmmm. If I could make it down to 150, I would be happy. Size wise I don't have a particular size I want to be. I'd just like to get rid of the fat around my Mid section, which is where most of it is anyways. But I think if I had to guess where that would put me.. Maybe a size 6/8 ? I'm a size 12 now.

Truly, my goal now is to be good and fit enough to fight. I haven't the endurance or strength to fight currently.

I mix resistance training and cardio on a bike with boxing. Tonight I'm hoping to go to my first muay thai class since I hurt my shoulder.

• Like 3

Sounds good Michelle. If you don't feel strong enough I recommend a 6-12 week strength plan, I think a lot of beginner trainees can double their strength over this period. I've done it and I know other people have as well. My squat went from 60kg to over 100kg in a couple of months. Not sure how it would fit in with M.T. training though...

I took today off, my legs were aching, I will train tomorrow and the next day. I'll add an extra session in on Saturday so that I meet my goal.

• Like 1

I'm still recovering from injury so the strength plan now is in the hands of my physical therapist.

It's okay to take a day for recovery. I took one today as well since I did so many damn thips (sp?) last night at class. Instead I helped someone work on their hips. Tomorrow I'll be back at it though.

• Like 1

So yesterday I hit my first challenge. I wrote:

I took today off, my legs were aching, I will train tomorrow and the next day. I'll add an extra session in on Saturday so that I meet my goal.

I wasn't lying, but in reality I was barely concious when I wrote it. I don't want this log to turn into some kind of diary, but I do want to share mistakes, otherwise it's just a censored, glossy, half-truth, that is not helpful to myself or anyone else reading.

Yesterday, I woke up feeling run down and with this idea in the back of my head that I didn't have enough fat in my diet. So, basically I ended up eating 5000 calories yesterday. I really wasn't that concious of what I was doing. I've woke up at 3.30 this morning and started thinking 'what the hell happened yesterday?', to the point where I had to figure out how many calories I'd consumed and write this post.

It was like my 'id' took the wheel for 8 hours or something. I ate a bag of candy... I don't even eat candy.

It was the antithesis of every goal I have. I want to be healthy, I want to lose weight, I want to train Muay Thai, but yesterday I did the opposite.

I wasn't conscious yesterday. I didn't spend time writing down my goals like I usually do, and my training isn't habitual (yet) like some of the people training here.

I also got distracted, I started toying around with internet marketing/business stuff. This is another interest of mine and something I have been succesful in the past.

But the fact is, it's a flat out distraction to my goal of achieving 1000 hours of Muay Thai. It was something I was consciously putting aside in order to pursue a higher priority goal more deeply and fully.

A big problem for me in the past has been a lack of focus, by chasing many goals simultaneously I've only reached superficial layers of success. It's also a way of running away when the going gets tough. I somehow convince myself that this second goal is my real goal, and I go and flirt with it for a while, splashing in the shallows, and then bail when it gets tough for the next distraction.

Anyway, I take full responsibility for yesterday and can only do better today. I'll eat better today and train tonight. I also just realised I haven't been taking much fish oil or bcaas this week. So, I'll be more dilligent with that and hopefully that will help my body feel less run down.

• Like 1