I had an interesting weekend where I thought my mum was having a heart attack.

1 Hour of Muay Thai last night

1 Hour of Boxing Tonight

I missed monday because of work. The aim for this week is 5 sessions. Then next week I want to start introducing light shadow boxing work in the mornings.

27hr 30 min

• Like 1

What you're doing is awesome!

You have all my support, and it's nice to keep track of what you do at lesson, I should start too!

Keep on!

Thank you :)

Tonight I spent 2 hours at the gym. I shadow boxed, did three rounds on the pads with a guy I met in boxing class, did a few heavy bag rounds, and then sparred with a lady there for a bunch of rounds. She tried to help correct my left kick. Her goal is to try and go to the olympics for boxing. Pretty inspiring work ethic to be honest.

I missed last night, I forgot to pack my gym bag properly, stupid.

Sorry for the lack lustre report. I'm just very tired.

29hour 30 min.

My gym closed early today and I missed training because I was lying around in bed all morning. Instead, I took myself to my weightlifting gym and did some exercises for the first time in months. I worked up to 90kg x 5 on benchpress and 90kg for a single on the squat. I know I am going to be very sore tomorrow and perhaps the next few days.

I've lost a lot of strength. I used to squat 60kg heavier than that for 5 reps. If I can I want to start lifting regularly again, although boxing and muay thai are my priority. I'll see how it goes.

On a side note, this gym has two heavy bags, so I might go there sometimes, as it is only one stop on the tram from me.

• Like 3

40 mins of shadow boxing today. Did this at home in my lounge room. Noticed that when you really focus on your hips when throwing 1s and 2s it makes slips a lot more natural and smoother.  Try this combination 1 Slip, 1 2 Slip, 2 1 Slip, 1 2 1 Slip Slip, 2 1 2.

30hr 10 min

• Like 2

Had a visiting Thai trainer, he might be sticking around I think. Really stresses 100% on every hit. Tonight we did jab, switch kick, right cross, right elbow, step aside, right kick, all like 100%. Pretty different to the other trainer, and very different to the boxing coach. He teaches the full swing around on kicks too, as opposed to 'chopping the wood'. Starting to think there is no right way... Dude's had 170 fights though.

31hr 10min

So, I normally "like" what people post to let them know I read what they wrote, but apparently I have reached my quota for doing so. So, Gavin, I wanted to let you know I read your training log, just don't always have an opportunity to comment or reply.

But yes, there definitely does not seem to be a "right" way. Judging by the different approaches I've seen so far. The best advice that has been given to me, is that you need to do what feels right to you. So, the mechanics need to be right, but how you execute will be unique to you. Hope that makes sense. Keep on keeping on :)

• Like 2

Hi Michelle, thanks for that. Everybody is busy, I don't expect people to comment on every post I make. Plus I'm aiming for 1000hours this is a marathon not a sprint :) Thanks for your support.

Today, we did a 20 punch combination in boxing. Super fun and I feel like my cardio is improving.

32hr10min

• Like 1

1 hour of muay thai tonight. I also did 10 mins of shadow boxing this morning. Three rounds working on my boxing slips, and the two previous counters I learned. Stayed after class and did 150 thips and 150 jump knees. Then stretched.

33hrs20mins

1.5 hours tonight. Actually rolled for two rounds of nogi jiu jitsu too. Hadn't done that for years. Rolled with a black belt, he swept me twice and i swept him once and got side control. Wasn't a serious roll though.

34hrs50min

• Like 1

Great thread Gavin. I wonder if you would do like a video every month? You don't have to release them, just so you can see the difference yourself. Or maybe a video now and at the 1000 hour stage. 

Just an idea, and if you were to release them at the end it would be inspirational for others and nice to see.

• Like 2

You don't have to share it or even do it at all. I just thought it might be a good way to monitor your progress, especially when you're having bad days!

Anyway, I hear a lot of people talking everyday 'I want to lose weight' 'I'm on a diet' or whatever, and it never happens or lasts. It's nice to see you really trying hard and putting in a lot of effort.

:smile:

• Like 1

You don't have to share it or even do it at all. I just thought it might be a good way to monitor your progress, especially when you're having bad days!

Anyway, I hear a lot of people talking everyday 'I want to lose weight' 'I'm on a diet' or whatever, and it never happens or lasts. It's nice to see you really trying hard and putting in a lot of effort.

:smile:

Thanks, training is going well. Diet, not so good, but still trying.

I did 10 mins of shadow boxing and then stretched. I filmed my shadow boxing, although not sure if I will release it yet...

1 hr boxing tonight. Partnered with this girl who is a really good boxer. I feel like a total fuck up holding pads for her. Nothing to do, except keep training and get better.

37hr30min

• Like 2

I struggle with holding pads, too. It's just really awkward, yeah ? For me anyways. Also, everyone is taller than me, so that doesn't help.

Is there a diet thread started ? Diet is something I'm sure most people have some kind of struggle with. Do you think it would be helpful ?

• Like 1

I struggle with holding pads, too. It's just really awkward, yeah ? For me anyways. Also, everyone is taller than me, so that doesn't help.

Is there a diet thread started ? Diet is something I'm sure most people have some kind of struggle with. Do you think it would be helpful ?

It was just her speed and also doing combinations that I've never done before. We do 20 punch combos at boxing, and I've only really boxed for the last six weeks. All good!

I trained tuesday, wednesday and tonight. Bit too tired to write it all up, but we have been doing takedowns at Muay Thai, I really like it. Oh and last night, we worked single jabs and rights, was kinda odd just throwing one punch, by the end of the night I could barely keep my left up. I asked around and even experienced boxers were struggling too.

I'm all for a diet thread. I've actually dropped a little bit of weight. I'm at 101.1kg. Most recently I was weighing 102.8. I really want to get below 100kg. In fact I'm going to make that a goal for the end of next week. I'm gonna push a little bit and see if I can get under 100kg!!

40hr30min

• Like 2

Sweet man. Gavin I'm just wondering how this is going mentally for you? e.g are you struggling to find motivation to go to gym/sessions. I ask this as I took my friend to a kickboxing gym tonight and the trainer said 'come 2 nights a week, or else you'll get bored really quickly'. 

• Like 1

Only on the days where I'm really hurting. Well to be honest some days I don't feel super motivated but I go anyway and feel awesome afterwards. I missed my training on Wednesday because I'm missed my tram and just though shit I'll go home. Then I went Thursday and I enjoyed it so much, and I was just kicking myself that I had missed boxing.

I can train 5-6 days no problem. My biggest challenge is increasing my hours. I think I need to build mental toughness.

45hrs.

I'm not sure if I lost any weight on the scales this week, but I've dropped a hole on my belt.

Also I'm missing training tonight cos I have a date. Can't make a habit of it.

• Like 1

Sweet man. Gavin I'm just wondering how this is going mentally for you? e.g are you struggling to find motivation to go to gym/sessions. I ask this as I took my friend to a kickboxing gym tonight and the trainer said 'come 2 nights a week, or else you'll get bored really quickly'. 

I'm guessing the coach means, if you don't train at least twice a week, you won't progress fast enough, therefore you'll get bored because your not making and progress and it's still difficult. That makes sense to me.

Just keep hitting these little milestones. Almost to 50 now, next look at 100. Everyday is hard, but everyday is a step in the right direction towards completing your goal. Hahaha you're not alone in lacking motivation some days. I live two floors above the gym and some days it still takes some serious convincing to get myself downstairs. It is always worth it though. And sometimes the days I am the most tired turn out to be my favorite training memories.

• Like 2

Just keep hitting these little milestones. Almost to 50 now, next look at 100. Everyday is hard, but everyday is a step in the right direction towards completing your goal. Hahaha you're not alone in lacking motivation some days. I live two floors above the gym and some days it still takes some serious convincing to get myself downstairs. It is always worth it though. And sometimes the days I am the most tired turn out to be my favorite training memories.

Thanks for the encouragement Tyler. It's good to hear other's perspectives.

Boxing on Monday and MT tonight.

I am honestly considering whether I give up my 1000 hr goal in the 18 months. Not for no reason, but to devote more time to my career... I am starting a second part-time job in August and I want to develop my skills in my field. I don't think I will ever fight or be a professional MT fighter. I've come to it rather late and I'm not sure if I have the demeanour for it.

Another part of me says that I can probably try and do both, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. I'd keep training MT and boxing and complete my 1000 hours just over a longer period... I'm also aware that giving up on goals is a slippery slope, that could end up with me back on my ass watching television.

If anyone has an opinion on this I'd love to hear it.

In other news I mentioned I had gone down a hole on my belt, but that I didn't get below 100kg on the scales as yet. Well, yesterday I weighed in at 99.8kg in the morning, so the scales finally caught up. I haven't been under 100kg in over a year, so it's a good milestone.

When I get to 50 hours I think I will upload my 'shadow boxing' video I filmed a couple of weeks ago. I already look a lot slimmer since then. Frankly, it's embarrassing, not the weight so much as the technique, I throw my teep like a karate kick an that's just the start of it... Anyway, it might be interesting for other beginners eventually. It's interesting for me to look at too.

47 hours.