Advice for a shorter visit

Marnir

I have hoped to go to thailand and train for quite a while now, and I have done a fair bit of reading to find out where you can find suitable gyms. A lot of articles talk about the difference between different cities, Bangkok is said to have better training than Phuket for example. However, I wonder how much things like that matter for those of us that are not very high level? I have trained on and off for a three years, because i enjoy the sport but never with any serious ambition to fight. I'm not a complete rookie, but I stil have lots of pretty basic things to learn and refine. With that kind of skill level, does it really matter much how many top fighters the gym has, since the trainers will still have tons to show me regardless?

Some short info about me

* I plan to go to thailand for a period of 2 weeks this summer
* Not a beginner, but not high level either
* Right now I'm not training muay thai because I have a time consuming job
* I'm keeping in decent shape by visiting the gym though, and the month before I go I plan to run 5 km every day
* My goal is just to improve technique, to get lots of technical sparring and rekindle my passion for the sport

Bearing these things in mind, do you have any advice on what cities or types of gym I should look for?

• Like 1

My trip was also this short and I enjoyed it anyway. I think you and I are pretty similar when it comes to level and expectations for the travel.

I chose a tourist-oriented gym in Phuket and enjoyed it. They were teaching me bits of technique on pads and light sparring in every training, but it was much less than I expected. I chose to do a private class instead of the afternoon training during my second week there and this is where I learned the most. It was not an easy decision to make, but I was lucky and it all played out well for me. 

I wanted to get a taste of "exotic island", but in the end I only went once to the beach, once to a spa and 3 times to the seashore. Sooo...not too much exotic going on here. There is usually no training on Sunday, so you might plan to go somewhere and sightsee on that day.

• Like 1

Hi Marnir,
When you have chosen where you gonna go in Thailand find advice here about the gym, like :if you stay in Bangkok I should advice you to train in Luktupfah Gym. Very nice people who first check out your technique and then correct it. They help you with every technique you want to learn or improve. Gym is clean and in nice area, on wednesday you can go to MBK fight night with the crew.
Let us know what area you will go ;-)

Hi Ling bah

I just looked at flights and realised that during my planned visit the only direct flights go to bangkok, so in order to save some time and money I am planning to go there. Can you tell me a little more about Luktupfah? How big is the gym? What is the training regimen like? What is the ratio of thai fighters and farang?

Hi Ling bah

I just looked at flights and realised that during my planned visit the only direct flights go to bangkok, so in order to save some time and money I am planning to go there. Can you tell me a little more about 

Most flights go to Bangkok, and most of the time that is the cheapest also.

But if you really want to train on an other place you can easy (and relative cheap) get there.

You can look up some prices on http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/home.page?cid=1if you want to.

• Like 1

Hey Marnir,
like 515 says ,all flights stop first in Bangkok  and you can easily take a connecting flight there. But like you say if you want to safe some time due short visit you can stay in Bangkok.Luktupfah Gym is located in a quiet area in On Nut 65, Gym has full matted floor,weight area,heavy bags, 2 full size ring, showers etc. Size is comfortable big. All trainers and some fighters  are Thai, but majority students and fighters are foreigner.The gym owner Master Woody's daughter is allso talented fighter. Training  find place 2 time a day ; morning and afternoon. Morning being more conditioning and strength and afternoon more technique, clinching, padwork,bagwork and some sparring.
Check out their website ; http://luktupfah-muaythai.com/
and their facebook page ;https://www.facebook.com/Luktupfah/timeline
All trainers are great experienced peoples and fun to train with.
I'll be there again for some training in november.
Hope you have a great visit/training
Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! I'm actually planning of going to Thailand this summer as well (August) there's this all-inclusive training camp led by Sean Fagan (Aka Muay Thai Guy) at Khongsittha Gym-Nak Muay Nation Training Camp in Bangkok http://www.thailandtrainingcamp.com/  a 2 week camp costs $800.00 USD go check out the link! The dates I'm looking at is Aug 14 - 28 and I hope you can attend this one (I need buddies because i'm solo'ng the trip) Did i mention that you may have a chance of having a seminar with Saenchai, Petchboonchu, Kaew Fairtex. I'm so stoked! It'd be an honor meeting Saenchai! 

I have hoped to go to thailand and train for quite a while now, and I have done a fair bit of reading to find out where you can find suitable gyms. A lot of articles talk about the difference between different cities, Bangkok is said to have better training than Phuket for example. However, I wonder how much things like that matter for those of us that are not very high level? I have trained on and off for a three years, because i enjoy the sport but never with any serious ambition to fight. I'm not a complete rookie, but I stil have lots of pretty basic things to learn and refine. With that kind of skill level, does it really matter much how many top fighters the gym has, since the trainers will still have tons to show me regardless?

Some short info about me

* I plan to go to thailand for a period of 2 weeks this summer
* Not a beginner, but not high level either
* Right now I'm not training muay thai because I have a time consuming job
* I'm keeping in decent shape by visiting the gym though, and the month before I go I plan to run 5 km every day
* My goal is just to improve technique, to get lots of technical sparring and rekindle my passion for the sport

Bearing these things in mind, do you have any advice on what cities or types of gym I should look for?

Hey there! I'm actually planning of going to Thailand this summer as well (August) there's this all-inclusive training camp led by Sean Fagan (Aka Muay Thai Guy) at Khongsittha Gym-Nak Muay Nation Training Camp in Bangkok http://www.thailandtrainingcamp.com/ 

It's not confirmed yet, but I may be attending that camp for a few days. :)

• Like 3