Hello - What's this Forum? An Introduction

Hello everyone,

I have started learning Muay Thai only few months ago, but I have been to Thailand many times and had always been fascinated by it (I just never had the courage to approach a gym before). 

I really enjoy Sylvie's videos... so that's how I landed here! 

Thank you!!!

• Like 3
  • Nak Muay 1

• 1 year later...

Hello! My name is Jose and I am from Antigua, Guatemala. Grew up in the states and started training Muay Thai about two years ago. 

Fell in love with the sport and how it helps me balance my school life. 

Planning a trip to Thailand after my exam is finished.

Would love to make contacts and have good conversations. So excited to be here!

-Jose

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SPACEDOODLE said:

Hello! My name is Jose and I am from Antigua, Guatemala. Grew up in the states and started training Muay Thai about two years ago. 

Fell in love with the sport and how it helps me balance my school life. 

Planning a trip to Thailand after my exam is finished.

Would love to make contacts and have good conversations. So excited to be here!

-Jose

Hi Jose, welcome to the forum! We're excited to have you here, to share interesting conversations and topics about Muay Thai. You're certainly not the only one here trying to balance Muay Thai with school 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

17 hours ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

You're certainly not the only one here trying to balance Muay Thai with school 🙂 

Hi Sylvie!

Thanks so much for that warm introduction! Already started responding here and there when I can. Absolutely excited to be connecting with others for the sake of Muay Thai!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I've been training Muay Thai for 4 weeks now. Came from a boxing background.

Falling in love with Muay Thai and the challenges it's bringing already 🙂 (very sore shins).

Great website and forum!

Edited by Buska
  • Like 2
  • Respect 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:30 AM, Buska said:

Hi everyone,

I've been training Muay Thai for 4 weeks now. Came from a boxing background.

Falling in love with Muay Thai and the challenges it's bringing already 🙂 (very sore shins).

Great website and forum!

Welcome! I can't feel my shins anymore at all, haha. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys/Girls,

I have a bit of mma background, previously been to Thailand for a little trip a few years ago and used to be a member of the infamous Muaythailand.com Forum. I have recently got the urge to get back into Muay Thai and currently in planning stages for a 4-6 month trip! This is a very interesting and useful forum to help plan a trip to Thailand!  I like the positive vibe of this forum and the lack of flame wars! Will try and contribute as much as I can post a review of the gyms I visit!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, standbystandby said:

Hi Guys/Girls,

I have a bit of mma background, previously been to Thailand for a little trip a few years ago and used to be a member of the infamous Muaythailand.com Forum. I have recently got the urge to get back into Muay Thai and currently in planning stages for a 4-6 month trip! This is a very interesting and useful forum to help plan a trip to Thailand!  I like the positive vibe of this forum and the lack of flame wars! Will try and contribute as much as I can post a review of the gyms I visit!

Welcome to the Forum and Welcome back to Muay Thai! See you in the threads 🙂

Hi Sylvie
I have seen several of your posts on your trips to Thailand and  what I am really interested in is Phra Rahu.and your experiences with this deity. I myself have been very pulled towards him and the connection is just there. However, many are afraid of him.  I am also a westerner, Scottish, working out how I relate to Phra Rahu.
Thanks

Dave

Hello everyone! 

I am Nicolas, French but living in Barcelona, Spain. 

Been in love with Muay Thai for 5 years but only began training 3 monts ago. 

My goal is to go to a Thailand Camp in 2021 fro 3 to 6 months and hopefully fight! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 8:43 PM, Nicolas said:

Hello everyone! 

I am Nicolas, French but living in Barcelona, Spain. 

Been in love with Muay Thai for 5 years but only began training 3 monts ago. 

My goal is to go to a Thailand Camp in 2021 fro 3 to 6 months and hopefully fight! 

Wonderful, welcome Nicolas! Hope you make your goal of 2021, but be sure to let us know how your training is going in these threads in the meantime and maybe some of the advice and posts here can help you plan your trip 🙂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Wonderful, welcome Nicolas! Hope you make your goal of 2021, but be sure to let us know how your training is going in these threads in the meantime and maybe some of the advice and posts here can help you plan your trip 🙂

Thanks Sylvie will do! On Tuesday I'm passing the exam to get to the advanced class, two months after entering the academy, mostly thanks to your videos on how to improve the techniques. My biggest weakness are kicks though, I need that hips flexibility! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicolas said:

Thanks Sylvie will do! On Tuesday I'm passing the exam to get to the advanced class, two months after entering the academy, mostly thanks to your videos on how to improve the techniques. My biggest weakness are kicks though, I need that hips flexibility! 

Wow! Impressive!

I’m new to MT but I started yoga several times a week once I started Muay Thai 6 months ago to help with my flexibility! It does help.

you can find yoga classes on line. Just a thought if you aren’t already trying to increase your flexibility. 

Edited to add. I should clarify it doesn’t have to be ‘yoga’ - but just stretches that may or may not be a yoga pose....to help increase your hip flexibility in particular  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MadelineGrace said:

Wow! Impressive!

I’m new to MT but I started yoga several times a week once I started Muay Thai 6 months ago to help with my flexibility! It does help.

you can find yoga classes on line. Just a thought if you aren’t already trying to increase your flexibility. 

Edited to add. I should clarify it doesn’t have to be ‘yoga’ - but just stretches that may or may not be a yoga pose....to help increase your hip flexibility in particular  

Thanks Madeline, I did start doing flexibility exercises before and after each session. I tried Yoga, but it was way too quiet for me. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm Aurélien, 29, and I live in Caen, France. I started muay thai 1 year ago and instantly fall in love with it. I've always been fascinated by martial arts, even did kung fu for a couple of years and attended some MT class by accident in May 2018. 1 year and a few months later I can say that I finally found something that gives me a sense of fulfillment I never experienced before.

Even if I do not intend to fight (even though I'd be more than happy if I'd ever have the opportunity), I put a good deal of effort into learning, improving and constantly challenging myself physically and mentally.

Here to meet new MT friends, get some tips and contribute within my capabilities!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I'm Gene. I'm from San Francisco, California. I've been studying Muay Thai for about 10 years, I've only done a handful of smokers. By the end of 2020 I hope to transition to amateur Muay Thai since my coach thinks I'll be ready with a couple more smokers. I'm looking to compete as much as possible before amateurs. 

I'm here to make friends and learn to become a better nak muay. I'm hoping to contribute to the community as well! 

• Like 2
  • Gamma 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, Aurélien said:

Hi,

I'm Aurélien, 29, and I live in Caen, France. I started muay thai 1 year ago and instantly fall in love with it. I've always been fascinated by martial arts, even did kung fu for a couple of years and attended some MT class by accident in May 2018. 1 year and a few months later I can say that I finally found something that gives me a sense of fulfillment I never experienced before.

Even if I do not intend to fight (even though I'd be more than happy if I'd ever have the opportunity), I put a good deal of effort into learning, improving and constantly challenging myself physically and mentally.

Here to meet new MT friends, get some tips and contribute within my capabilities!

Welcome to the forum, Aurelien! Glad you've found something so fulfilling.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:03 AM, Kwanzama said:

Hey everyone, I'm Gene. I'm from San Francisco, California. I've been studying Muay Thai for about 10 years, I've only done a handful of smokers. By the end of 2020 I hope to transition to amateur Muay Thai since my coach thinks I'll be ready with a couple more smokers. I'm looking to compete as much as possible before amateurs. 

I'm here to make friends and learn to become a better nak muay. I'm hoping to contribute to the community as well! 

Welcome to the forum, Gene!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys, training Muaythai since 1983 when Mastery Toddy first came to Ireland. Growth of Muay in those days was very slow and sporadic but thankfully has changed a lot now. This meant trying Full Contact Eskrima, MMA and even having to have kickboxing fights when you couldn't get regular Thai fights in those early days. Had my last fight in 03 and would love to fight still, the yearning never goes. Height of repsect for what you have achieved and continuing to achieve Sylvie. 

Fought in the amature Worlds in Bangkok in 96 and 97 and had a trip to Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok in 2003 and unfortunately haven't been back since, but miss it dearly. Have my own gym since around 1987 but closed at the moment due to this pandemic 

• Like 1
  • Nak Muay 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 3:45 AM, Dave Joyce said:

Hi guys, training Muaythai since 1983 when Mastery Toddy first came to Ireland. Growth of Muay in those days was very slow and sporadic but thankfully has changed a lot now. This meant trying Full Contact Eskrima, MMA and even having to have kickboxing fights when you couldn't get regular Thai fights in those early days. Had my last fight in 03 and would love to fight still, the yearning never goes. Height of repsect for what you have achieved and continuing to achieve Sylvie. 

Fought in the amature Worlds in Bangkok in 96 and 97 and had a trip to Phuket, Chiang Mai and Bangkok in 2003 and unfortunately haven't been back since, but miss it dearly. Have my own gym since around 1987 but closed at the moment due to this pandemic 

Welcome to the forum Dave!

• 1 year later...

Hey

I'm Carl. Hadn't really trained Muay Thai in many years after training about a year of it in my early 20s. Really enjoying starting again however. 

I have trained some other combat sports here but I'm really happy to be training Muay Thai again. 

I showed my partner who has doesn't have a huge interest in Muay Thai the youtube channel and the preserve the legacy project and she was in awe of the dedication and love Sylvie had for the sport. 

Im looking forward to listening here, seeing what I can learn from people as a beginner and watchin more of the Muay Thai Library content, I haven't really seen anything like it for any other sport. There is the BJJ technique videos that people can buy but they don't quite capture the personality and history of the instructors in the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! My name's JP,  I started training around a year ago mostly to get (and stay) in shape. Discovered Sylvie's channel and Patreon soon after and have been getting more and more into Muay Thai every since.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

My name is Mark.

I've been training (karate/jujutsu/m.a/kickboxing) since 1982 and taught from 1990-2018ish

In 2018 the health club I was at cancelled my program and I gave up teaching to enroll at my friend's kickboxing gym and it feels like a vacation.

I go to training, I stand at the end of the line, no one asks me any questions and I can concentrate completely on myself..

I haven't had THAT since the 80s.

Looking forward to the conversations here