Fighter Gyms in Bangkok

pbnaruto

Hey guys, first post here
I will be in Bangkok for a month in mid December, and I'm looking to attend a serious gym to train all day every day.
I'm a 6'1" 70kg 22 year old guy with decent experience in Muay Thai and I'm looking for suggestions on gyms in Bangkok that have:

•  A serious and strict training regimen with an active Thai fighter roster whose statures and physiques are on the heavier side around my weight of 70 kg.
  • Emphasis on practical training practices such as clinching and sparring rather than pad work. Muay Khao gyms definitely interest me as clinching is not taught well where I'm from, but not a must. 
  • A gym that can book me a fight
  • Language barrier is not an issue as I can speak a little bit of Thai. I would rather have difficulty communicating rather than being in a commercialized gym whose Thai fighter are separated from the tourists.

I have done a little bit of research and it seems like Kem's gym is an option. Any other gyms you guys think will suit me?
Much appreciated.

• Nak Muay 1

I'd look into Yodwicha's gym in Bangkok. He's fighting in Paris on Dec. 5th, but if he doesn't have any seminars lined up for after he should be back at the gym by the time you arrive. Contact his wife through their gym page to make sure he'd be there first; it's not the same experience when he's not there (still good, but for you I'd recommend going when he's there.)

https://web.facebook.com/Yodwicha-gym-ยอดวิชายิม-109758933730799

1 minute ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

I'd look into Yodwicha's gym in Bangkok. He's fighting in Paris on Dec. 5th, but if he doesn't have any seminars lined up for after he should be back at the gym by the time you arrive. Contact his wife through their gym page to make sure he'd be there first; it's not the same experience when he's not there (still good, but for you I'd recommend going when he's there.)

https://web.facebook.com/Yodwicha-gym-ยอดวิชายิม-109758933730799

Thanks Sylvie! I just subscribed to your Patreon and I'm watching all the privates you have had with high profile trainers. They are amazing!
I'm thinking of looking at elite competition in Thailand such as Lumpinee and see who the top fighters in the 130-150 lbs divisions are and which gyms they train at. 
A camp like Kem is really tempting but the fact that it's in a rural setting 2-3 hours outside of Bangkok is the biggest issue I have, because I want to be able to travel around Bangkok as well.
Yodwicha sounds like a really good suggestion, I'll definitely look into it!

• 2 weeks later...

I would strongly suggest PK Saenchai. 

I trained there for two weeks in 2019 and it's high level alright and I don't think there are many gyms with that many thai elite fighters. There are a few foreigners fighting out of the gym to. They'll book you fight if you asked. Training is VERY hard and serious. But of course, the downside is they put a lof of focuse on the ones that have fights coming up in the next few weeks. 

But that said, I really loved it. You get to spar and clinch with current champions. They also will do like little session where one of the top fighter will teach a specific technic he specialize in. Like Tawanchai did one on his famous teeps. Dieselnoi sometimes go to help as well as Saenchai will drop in once in a while. The atmosphere is great. I've been in quite a few gym and I never saw any gym where everyone was training as hard. 

I would say the only down side is that the level is so high, this gym is what I would call a tweaking fighter gym rather than a building fighter gym. They basically buy fighter that other gym trained and tweak certain things. So the teaching can sometime lack technical tips. But if you're good at learning by doing and observing, you'll get a lot from it. 

I don't remember the price but it was a bit on the upper hand. On the other hand, they rent scooters are a ridiculous price. They are quick to respond on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/P.K.Saenchaimuaythaigym

• 6 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Hi Warren  It was very quiet when I was there. A few local guys and 2-4 foreigners but that can change and I'm sure this gym has got more popular. You can schedule privates for whenever you want. The attention to detail here is unbelievable and I highly recommend you train at this gym. In my experience, everyone was really good training partners and I learnt loads everyday.  
    • To all the MuayThai enthusiasts who have travelled to Thailand and trained in Muay thai- I would urge you to pls fill this form to share your interests and journey insights. This will help us explore possible ways to improve muay thai gym/training program search experience for the community https://forms.gle/39pBz4wHQ2CXPWNS8 Feel free to DM me if there is any feedback or query.
    • You can look through my various articles which sometimes focuses on this: https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-forum/forum/23-kevins-corner-muay-thai-philosophy-ethics/ especially the article on Muay Thai as a Rite. The general thought is that Thailand's traditional Muay Thai offers the world an important understanding of self-control in an era which is increasingly oriented towards abject violence for entertainment. There are also arguments which connect Muay Thai to environmental concerns.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
    • I see that this thread is from three years ago, and I hope your journey with Muay Thai and mental health has evolved positively during this time. It's fascinating to revisit these discussions and reflect on how our understanding of such topics can grow. The connection between training and mental health is intricate, as you've pointed out. Finding the right balance between pushing yourself and self-care is a continuous learning process. If you've been exploring various avenues for managing mood-related issues over these years, you might want to revisit the topic of mental health resources. One such resource is The UK Medical Cannabis Card, which can provide insights into alternative treatments.
    • Phetjeeja fought Anissa Meksen for a ONE FC interim atomweight kickboxing title 12/22/2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu92S6-V5y0&ab_channel=ONEChampionship Fight starts at 45:08 Phetjeeja won on points. Not being able to clinch really handicapped her. I was afraid the ref was going to start deducting points for clinch fouls.   
    • Earlier this year I wrote a couple of sociology essays that dealt directly with Muay Thai, drawing on Sylvie's journalism and discussions on the podcast to do so. I thought I'd put them up here in case they were of any interest, rather than locking them away with the intention to perfectly rewrite them 'some day'. There's not really many novel insights of my own, rather it's more just pulling together existing literature with some of the von Duuglus-Ittu's work, which I think is criminally underutilised in academic discussions of MT. The first, 'Some meanings of muay' was written for an ideology/sosciology of knowledge paper, and is an overly long, somewhat grindy attempt to give a combined historical, institutional, and situated study of major cultural meanings of Muay Thai as a form of strength. The second paper, 'the fighter's heart' was written for a qualitative analysis course, and makes extensive use of interviews and podcast discussions to talk about some ways in which the gendered/sexed body is described/deployed within Muay Thai. There's plenty of issues with both, and they're not what I'd write today, and I'm learning to realise that's fine! some meanings of muay.docx The fighter's heart.docx
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts