Improvements in Muay Thai due to injury

Hey all!

What kind of improvements has anyone found when dealing with their own kind of injury?

Personal experience :  before my right toe was prone to being injured I used to rely on cardio when being out scored in sparring, I would either throw nonstop but often poorly timed kicks or I would march forward, taking shots until my partner was tired and then score points.

My improvement/lesson - Recovering from being sick and right toe being prone to injury while I'm in fight camp. It has taught me to time my switch kicks/right kicks better and manage frustration better.

• Like 1

Ooooh what an interesting topic, grow through adversity. 

I've had meniscus tears on both knees, I am almost fully healed and they have helped me get better footwork, stronger kicks and I'm more versatile.

Footwork: agility drills are great knee strengthening exercises so I've been doing countless drills (walking backwards also helps) which has also given me lighter and faster feet.

Stronger kicks: I've been doing low squat jumps, duck walks, single-leg balance drills to strengthen my knees. This has also given me a lot more kick power. 

Versatility: To avoid putting too much stress on one knee I've practiced switching stances a lot which has helped me improve my southpaw stance. In sparring, if I feel any discomfort in one knee I simply switch stance. 

I've healed my knees through my own research and help from trainers, traditional and new knowledge. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, LengLeng said:

Ooooh what an interesting topic, grow through adversity. 

I've had meniscus tears on both knees, I am almost fully healed and they have helped me get better footwork, stronger kicks and I'm more versatile.

Footwork: agility drills are great knee strengthening exercises so I've been doing countless drills (walking backwards also helps) which has also given me lighter and faster feet.

Stronger kicks: I've been doing low squat jumps, duck walks, single-leg balance drills to strengthen my knees. This has also given me a lot more kick power. 

Versatility: To avoid putting too much stress on one knee I've practiced switching stances a lot which has helped me improve my southpaw stance. In sparring, if I feel any discomfort in one knee I simply switch stance. 

I've healed my knees through my own research and help from trainers, traditional and new knowledge. 

Oooo! This has actually given me some ideas for my own training now!

Did you do fighting specific footwork drills or general athletic footwork drills?

And the walking backwards thing, did you get this idea from a guy named "KneesOverToesGuy"? Or trainers/own research?

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, ShaneDeacon said:

Oooo! This has actually given me some ideas for my own training now!

Did you do fighting specific footwork drills or general athletic footwork drills?

And the walking backwards thing, did you get this idea from a guy named "KneesOverToesGuy"? Or trainers/own research?

My trainer (lethwei fighter) has a western boxing and MMA background which he uses for my footwork drills, and he shows me various movements with this lying ladder thing and cones. I think we rotate something like 20 various movements (5x3 rounds, forward and backwards at the end of every second session) plus single leg balancing things (stand on one leg, stand on one leg jump forward sideways backwards). We also do several rounds of frog jumps (low squat jumps) and duckwalks. 

I love Knees over Toes guy. I also ask my friend and coach Bryan for a lot of advice. He produces a lot of great content related to posture and alignment here: https://instagram.com/fit.coach_bryan?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1