Which Brand Of Boxing Gloves Do You Prefer?

I started out with 16oz Top King gloves for sparring. I liked them, but they fell apart after about 5 months of daily sparring. Using Master Toddy's gear now, and I really like it. The sparring gloves took me about a week to break in (I was pretty skeptical I was gonna keep them), but now I love them. Been using his sparring gear and 6oz (?) bag gloves for about 3-4 months. Only issues I have had is some of the lining falling off, but its just decoration, not part of the gloves actual structure. Oh both gloves have an internal portion which pulls outwards to help them dry which is pretty sweet. My gloves are almost always dry by the time the afternoon session rolls around. Lol and I do have a strong suspicion that when they aren't dry, other people have been using them (everyone loves to borrow my gear for some reason lol). For shin guards I also had Top King, which fit wonderfully, but fell apart after about 2 months which was pretty disappointing.

I use 12oz Top King and they have been great and I train twice daily five times a week (this pair is about 15 months old). I am 155lbs.

As for preventing swamp glove, I take a pair of nylons and stuff the feet with dryer sheets, then tie off the ends. They look like potatoes and keep them from getting gross inside. A majority of the year the weather is not conducive to sunning them to dry, which I will do in summer months when I remember.

• Like 2

Yes also a good question how do you dry your gloves? (And especially for the people who live in country's that are not so hot to dry them outside always).

I used 16oz gloves for everything before, sometimes 8oz gloves for bag work or pad work but not that much (gloves where not that good), now I got a piar of 12oz gloves with me for pad work and bag work.

My first pair was from Booster I think, after that always (Top) King, only changed them for the really nasty smell. Got a pair of Twins Special with me to try as next ones.

I use 12oz Top King and they have been great and I train twice daily five times a week (this pair is about 15 months old). I am 155lbs.

As for preventing swamp glove, I take a pair of nylons and stuff the feet with dryer sheets, then tie off the ends. They look like potatoes and keep them from getting gross inside. A majority of the year the weather is not conducive to sunning them to dry, which I will do in summer months when I remember.

I wonder if I just got a crappy set of Top King, or maybe a knockoff. I was very surprised that my stuff fell apart as quickly as it did. Good idea with the swamp glove prevention!

• 2 weeks later...

I own two pairs (I'm 5'7/170cm 60kg):

- For sparring - 16oz Twins. They have lasted me about a year now, but mainly because I often forget to bring them and have to borrow a pair at the gym or use my everything-else gloves;

- For 'everything else' I have used 10oz Fairtex, which I have no complaints about; 12 oz Top King, which only lasted me 6 months; most recently 12oz lace-up LEONE, which I am really enjoying. Maybe because they are my first lace-up gloves, I find them uniquely comfortable. They feel about the same on the bag as the Fairtex 10oz, and I'm happy with that. Can't comment on quality or durability yet because I have only been using them for a week now.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told to buy 16 oz gloves because that's all that anyone uses here. I'm 5"4 and have small hands, but I settled on Venum ( real leather ) and I've been pleased with them. I have gel hand wraps that fit inside.

Besides the cedar chips, I also stuff dryer sheets inside them to help with the stink.

As an aside...I know we are just talking gloves here...and maybe you more professional ladies are too hard core for cushy shin pads...but I adore the Hayabusa shin pads!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys andgirls
Next month I'll be heading to Thailand for training/holiday/family visit.
And I'll need to buy some new gloves. Untill now I used Twins Special, King
and Booster. From these 3 brands my favorite is still Twins. I think they are 
the better quality of the 3 and have comfortable fit . The gloves should be for 
at least 5 day a week training, wich allso makes a difference.
Whats your opinion on these brands? Anyone using Boon,Topking,Thaismai 
or other brands? Any advise on where to buy in Bangkok? I bought my last pair
in our gym at Belgium  and before that pair ,in the shop next to the former Lumpinee.
I heard good things about Action Zone .

• Like 1

Yeah ActionZone is the place to be!
A small store with a lot of stuff and sharp prices and if you buy enough you often get an extra discount.

To be sure they have everything you want you can mail them in advance and they will arrange it (King, TopKing, Twins, Fairtex).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just started another thread asking about glove size. I find my 14oz Sandee are too long and my fingers have to dig into the seam which hurts. Anyone else have this prob? Do I need to change make or weight? My old 10oz blitz fit ok.

I have 12oz Twins Special, and they're lovely! I wash my wraps after every session, and always use fresh ones. I try to air the gloves themselves as much as possible in warm dry air.

The gloves fit me fine (I have largish hands and wear a 7.5 size 'ordinary' glove) with wraps and are comfortable and offer good protection for pad work, bag work and sparring.

For the swamp gloves: I take a bleach wetnap and use it to wipe the inside of the gloves to get rid of bacteria and stink. I hope that helps! I also smear my hands in hand sanitizer and put my gloves on to give them a good internal rub before class. I get nervous about staph infection and bacteria build-up. Do you think the bleach towelettes would be enough or should I splurge on those twenty dollar bottles of disinfectant? 

I've been meaning to get a better pair of gloves. Any advice? I am just using this pair of everlast gloves, 16 oz for now (I have mma gloves, too, but I rarely use them). I'm looking for a pair that is relatively inexpensive (under, say 65 US dollars) for muay thai.

• 1 month later...

10oz Twins, im barely 100lbs soaking wet and have been using 14oz fairtex's.. one of the trainers was surprised to learn i was using them. They were hurting my knuckles because the compartment inside was so much larger than my fist. The twins fit soooooo nice! managed to sell my fairtex gloves! which was a plus because i hate waste and knew they were going to be too hard to spar with if i started that in the future anyway.

We are advised to buy 14-16 oz gloves in order not to get hurt in sparring but some people at my gym wear smaller ones. We have a girl who sparrs in 10oz gloves regularly and I don't really like it because she goes really hard (in fights I absolutely don't mind small gloves but what's the point in having small gloves if you just sparr?). I personally use Everlast gloves for muay thai and they are so good!

I changed to Twins Specials 12oz gloves since January 2016 and it's a world of difference for me. They fit nicely - a bit smug in the beginning, but now they're perfect. I bought them cheap in Thailand, in Poland they cost 3x the prize, so it feels good to have made such a good bargain while I was traveling ;)

They start to stink already, though. :( I think it's the weather we have here, it's just beginning to get sunny and warm-ish.

We are advised to buy 14-16 oz gloves in order not to get hurt in sparring but some people at my gym wear smaller ones. We have a girl who sparrs in 10oz gloves regularly and I don't really like it because she goes really hard (in fights I absolutely don't mind small gloves but what's the point in having small gloves if you just sparr?). I personally use Everlast gloves for muay thai and they are so good!

I don't think im close to sparring anything yet so i was really just keen to be able to focus on where my punches are hitting on my closed hand. Also i got rid of my 14oz gloves because i keep hearing over and over again that gyms/people dont like those gloves because they are hard. (doesnt seem very cool for that other chick to spar in 10oz gloves tho) the whole point is to be able to practice and not hurt each other?

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I have ripped gloves (used to be 12oz, now more close to 0oz haha) that I use for bag work, and I used to have "good" glove (14oz) for sparing only. 
I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought here was a good place ... to all of you DO NO BUY VEHEMENT GEAR.

I had the worse experience ever with them, I bought gloves, and a few month after they started to be a bit ripped, so I wrote a message to the compagny (on their facebook page) to ask if they had any guaranty. They have never answer. Then 10 months later, the lower part of the glove was so ripped, it became tear up from the upper part. I wrote them an email (to which they have never answer). Then I wrote a review on their website (which they have never published or immediatly deleted). 
I've never had such a bad experience with a brand (I went back to my old top king gear which are still in better condition even though old). 
So from now on, I'll stick with TopKing ( or read all the thread and see if there is better brand ;) ).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I have ripped gloves (used to be 12oz, now more close to 0oz haha) that I use for bag work, and I used to have "good" glove (14oz) for sparing only. 

I didn't really know where to post this, so I thought here was a good place ... to all of you DO NO BUY VEHEMENT GEAR.

I had the worse experience ever with them, I bought gloves, and a few month after they started to be a bit ripped, so I wrote a message to the compagny (on their facebook page) to ask if they had any guaranty. They have never answer. Then 10 months later, the lower part of the glove was so ripped, it became tear up from the upper part. I wrote them an email (to which they have never answer). Then I wrote a review on their website (which they have never published or immediatly deleted). 

I've never had such a bad experience with a brand (I went back to my old top king gear which are still in better condition even though old). 

So from now on, I'll stick with TopKing ( or read all the thread and see if there is better brand ;) ).

Thanks for the heads up, Flora! Note to self, avoid Vehement.

Has anyone ever used Drako gloves? It's mostly what's available around here either than the more premium brands. I can't find any customer reviews at all. The other day I mentioned to my instructor that I tend to sprain my thumb when I hit bag and he mentioned that it could be the way the thumb compartment is made. Does anyone get this with other brands?

I have a pair of Drako 8oz that I use for everything. I used to borrow gloves from my gym before I bought these and my instructor would always hand me a pair of 8oz. I tend to go really light in sparring, so no one had mentioned anything. There are a few other people that use 8oz and 10oz gloves, and everyone's been ok so far. Perhaps because it's beginners sparring. There aren't a lot of selections available in my area. I am happy with my gloves mostly because they fit my hands and wrists. Maybe I'll experiment another brand and size to see if there are ones with better thumb compartments. Thanks for all the recommendations here :)

As for maintaining them, I wipe the inside every now and then with a kitchen towelette dabbed in rubbing alcohol, and wipe the outside with another towelette with just water then put leather conditioner on to prevent the seams from ripping.

• Admin featured and unfeatured this topic