On your being a southpaw and sparring---do you find it's easier or harder to spar with another southpaw? A woman at the gym is southpaw and we spar now and then. I tried switching to southpaw and that worked okay for avoiding her southpaw kicks, but my offense was mostly punches because my left kick telegraphs a lot. From your perspective, would it be worth it to keep sparring lefty with a lefty and righty with a righty? Or should I just stick to righty and try to improve that side a lot? fyi, I sometimes switch to lefty without realizing it and then I'm stuck as lefty for a while.

Thanks! ♦

Never hurts to be ambidextrous, if you can find ways to challenge yourself and get good work out of switching up in training. But it's not "necessary" to switch. I fight a lot of southpaws - there are a shocking number of them in Thailand (maybe it's a normal ratio but there are just SO MANY fighters out here) - and they never seem to have a problem with me being orthodox because that's the norm, but occasionally if I switch stance they get confused because it's not what they're used to training with (generally speaking). I'm almost useless when I go southpaw and I don't do it because I'm so skilled that I can switch, I can only stay like that for a short while.

There's this guy JR who is incredible. He's naturally southpaw but will fight the first two rounds orthodox, then switch in the 3rd round. It not only confuses the hell out of his opponent, but he's STRONGER than the first two rounds... even though he could kick anyone's ass in any stance at all. Master K, my first trainer, is also southpaw but learned and fought orthodox because he just copied what everyone else at his gym was doing. So he's just massively strong on his front side, which is awesome for fighting.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I think there is a difference between newbie mistakes and what annoys me.

For example a lot of newbies try to block every kick, it doesn't bother me but sometimes in light sparring taking the kick to give a better one back works better.

Things that do annoy me are low kicking too low or kicking my ankle whilst I am blocking.  I have had many an elbow in the tops of the foot from panic reactions on rib kicks or teeps which are never nice.  I usually forgive them if they go hard as its a nerves thing but hitting or kicking hard after the bell has gone frustrates me.  I also get frustrated if someone stops bent over as if they are hurt and I ask if they are okay and they then take the opportunity to hit or kick.  All of this happens rarely and I am sure I have annoyed a few people in my time so I generally try not to complain as we all had to learn once and I am still learning from those who are more experienced.

• Like 3

Things that do annoy me are low kicking too low or kicking my ankle whilst I am blocking.  I have had many an elbow in the tops of the foot from panic reactions on rib kicks or teeps which are never nice. 

Aren't those things that you're supposed to do?

I was taught when you're aiming for a low kick, aim right above the knee so that if they check you don't kick them in the knee (which will hurt the kicker more than kicking the ankle/shin where there's a little more give because the knee bends when the shin/ankle is kicked, absorbing part of the power if you don't have time to stop your kick).

I was also taught to a way to block rib kicks with my arms such that my elbow is covering my lower ribs, because 1) it discourages kicks, and, 2) it can be faster than checking a rib kick with your leg.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but both of those things seem like normal things to me.

Its difficult to explain in a post but a lot of people don't cover their ribs then panic move back so it's your foot not your shin and cover them elbowing the kicker in the top of the foot.  If your ribs are already covered the kicker would kick the outside of the arm and the kick would be turned in if that make any sense. 

The low kick often occurs when I haven't blocked but they kick my ankle bone instead of my thigh and the when I block they often catch my foot or ankle instead of my shin.

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Hi Warren  It was very quiet when I was there. A few local guys and 2-4 foreigners but that can change and I'm sure this gym has got more popular. You can schedule privates for whenever you want. The attention to detail here is unbelievable and I highly recommend you train at this gym. In my experience, everyone was really good training partners and I learnt loads everyday.  
    • To all the MuayThai enthusiasts who have travelled to Thailand and trained in Muay thai- I would urge you to pls fill this form to share your interests and journey insights. This will help us explore possible ways to improve muay thai gym/training program search experience for the community https://forms.gle/39pBz4wHQ2CXPWNS8 Feel free to DM me if there is any feedback or query.
    • You can look through my various articles which sometimes focuses on this: https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-forum/forum/23-kevins-corner-muay-thai-philosophy-ethics/ especially the article on Muay Thai as a Rite. The general thought is that Thailand's traditional Muay Thai offers the world an important understanding of self-control in an era which is increasingly oriented towards abject violence for entertainment. There are also arguments which connect Muay Thai to environmental concerns.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
    • I see that this thread is from three years ago, and I hope your journey with Muay Thai and mental health has evolved positively during this time. It's fascinating to revisit these discussions and reflect on how our understanding of such topics can grow. The connection between training and mental health is intricate, as you've pointed out. Finding the right balance between pushing yourself and self-care is a continuous learning process. If you've been exploring various avenues for managing mood-related issues over these years, you might want to revisit the topic of mental health resources. One such resource is The UK Medical Cannabis Card, which can provide insights into alternative treatments.
    • Phetjeeja fought Anissa Meksen for a ONE FC interim atomweight kickboxing title 12/22/2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu92S6-V5y0&ab_channel=ONEChampionship Fight starts at 45:08 Phetjeeja won on points. Not being able to clinch really handicapped her. I was afraid the ref was going to start deducting points for clinch fouls.   
    • Earlier this year I wrote a couple of sociology essays that dealt directly with Muay Thai, drawing on Sylvie's journalism and discussions on the podcast to do so. I thought I'd put them up here in case they were of any interest, rather than locking them away with the intention to perfectly rewrite them 'some day'. There's not really many novel insights of my own, rather it's more just pulling together existing literature with some of the von Duuglus-Ittu's work, which I think is criminally underutilised in academic discussions of MT. The first, 'Some meanings of muay' was written for an ideology/sosciology of knowledge paper, and is an overly long, somewhat grindy attempt to give a combined historical, institutional, and situated study of major cultural meanings of Muay Thai as a form of strength. The second paper, 'the fighter's heart' was written for a qualitative analysis course, and makes extensive use of interviews and podcast discussions to talk about some ways in which the gendered/sexed body is described/deployed within Muay Thai. There's plenty of issues with both, and they're not what I'd write today, and I'm learning to realise that's fine! some meanings of muay.docx The fighter's heart.docx
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts