Cynical

Keto basketball athlete OMAD potassium and sodium questions

Hello,

I did muay thai in the past and still train by myself just kicking the bag sometimes. But mainly I'm a basketball athlete, and I started a OMAD keto diet. I'm wondering what type of supplements I should take especially for potassium or should I try to consume potassium through avocados or spinach. And for salt I'm guessing I can just put Himalayan sea salt in a drink with magnesium to maintain my sodium and magnesium levels. I think I'm going to drink a powerade zero and add the salt and magnesium to that so I can enjoy taking my supplements everyday. There are no carbs in the drink but there are sweeteners. The only thing I'm worried about is my potassium source. Any advice in general would be appreciated. Because playing basketball I'm gonna be sweating a lot from training. But I'm not too concerned with the salt/sodium aspect because I know I can supplement that easily. Oh and I just thought of this when it comes to explosiveness, does being on a ketogenic diet lower your explosiveness at all. I know it can be good for endurance, but explosiveness is very important for me when it comes to basketball. And is taking creatine okay when doing the ketogenic diet while training? Sorry for so many questions but I would really appreciate help on any of my concerns.

Thanks a lot!

Ali

Edited by Cynical

Hey!  I just recently found this forum.  I am also a keto athlete (mostly carnivore) and am still struggling a little to dial in electrolytes.  

Just curious if the above recipe is still what you both use?  How do you space it throughout the day?  How much water is it added to?

Thanks!

• Cool 1

On 3/22/2021 at 12:38 AM, Charles said:

Just curious if the above recipe is still what you both use?  How do you space it throughout the day?  How much water is it added to

How you dose out your electrolytes is mostly a trial-and-error kind of thing. Kevin has an iron stomach and can take much, much more at a time than I can. I have to separate out my salt and potassium because both give me bubble guts. I can't take a heavy dose of either of those too close to training or I'll be running to the toilet between rounds. I can take a pretty heavy dose of salt with warm water at night to replenish, but I try to keep any of my electrolytes about 2 hours away from training on the front end. I can take them immediately after with no problem, as I'll have access to a bathroom and not be doing much right after in case my stomach decides to be upset about it.

I put potassium (cream of tartar) and magnesium together and seem to be okay with it. But if I add sodium with either magnesium or potassium it's a disaster. So, you'll have to figure out how to "micro-dose" or space it out for yourself, or, if you're like Kevin and can slam a pretty hefty dose at once with no problem, just time it with a replenishment schedule for your training. I never take electrolytes WHILE training, it gives me a feeling of fullness that I can't tolerate. Always 2 hours before or immediately after.

• Gamma 1

Thanks a lot for the reply, Sylvie!  I understand it is highly individual in regards to how you space it.  But, how much in total are you getting each day (of potassium, sodium, mag, etc.)?

Also, do you limit protein in any way to ensure ketosis?  Or, do you just focus on keeping carbs low?  Do you have a rough idea of your macros?

17 hours ago, Charles said:

Thanks a lot for the reply, Sylvie!  I understand it is highly individual in regards to how you space it.  But, how much in total are you getting each day (of potassium, sodium, mag, etc.)?

Also, do you limit protein in any way to ensure ketosis?  Or, do you just focus on keeping carbs low?  Do you have a rough idea of your macros?

Here are Sylvie's macros back in 2019, I don't know if they have changed. She doesn't really spend a lot of time counting. I'll let her jump in on what things look like now, but here is a reference point: