I know one thread was started about vegan diet, but wanted to get input on other diets and supplementation.

My diet was all over the place, but the older I get the more regular it has to become. I eat a lot of chicken. In fact red meat and pork usually leaves me with an upset stomach, and I detest the taste of fish and seafood (barring fried crabcakes and sushi filled with good stuff). I eat spinach and broccoli and zucchini and squash, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, mixed berries (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry), bananas, honey greek yogurt, granola (I eat a ton of granola), and protein bars and protein shakes. That's if I'm being good. If I'm not being good, then I probably ate some ramen or Bojangles. On the plus side, my soda intake is basically nil now. Lots of water and some juice in the morning.

Supplement wise, I used to take a multivitamin and something called catalyst before a workout. But I'm terrible at remembering it. And then I take nighttime recovery for those days when I've pushed myself farther than normal.

What do y'all eat and/or take ? Especially those who fight ?

• Like 3

I've made a pretty substantial change to my diet in the past half year. Previously when I was living abroad I just ate whatever (read: salami cheese bread pasta bacon cream overload daily). Then I came back and had a blood work check-up at the doctor that found I had terrible levels of cholesterol and fats equivalent to many 50-60 year olds. That gaveme a bit of a kick in the face, so I did an immediate diet clean-up.

I basically eat large quantities of veggies- broccoli, spinach, peppers, whatever. In terms of meats, I eat everything. Previously I ate just a ton of fish like tuna, sardines, trout..like a pescaterian diet. Though since coming back to Thailand a few weeks ago my diet is now pretty heavy in pork/chicken and red meat. I usually eat general Thai fare now such as som tum, stir-frys, yum salads, nam tok, laarb, kaeng soups (clear ones, not really a fan of the ones with coconut milk). I'm a massive fan of seafood and fish- the fishier the better!! Eggs are one of my favorite things to eat as well. The only sort of odd thing is that I became addicted to cottage cheese living abroad and now find I want to eat it constantly. On training days the only difference is I usually eat a massive bowl of oatmeal. Delicious!! I dislike sodas so I just stick to tea and water.

For supplements I take a multivitamin + some extra Vitamin D and Omega 3. I don't take any protein bars/shakes.

I'm curious as well to hear from those who fight!

• Like 2

I would not call myself a fighter, but I can tell how I eat.

I try to keep it clean, wich not always work out so good haha, eat enough vegetables and meat. I should add some more carbs yeah.
As extra I take sometimes a protein shake but not really much. And some multi vitamin, vitamin C, omega 3-6-9 and a calcium/magnesium pill. Sometimes I take some esxtra fibers also.
Is it all really needed? No I don't think so. I did a time without it and didn't feel any difference but I also think it won't do any harm so yeah why not try it.
I tried some creatine also but don't see/feel any difference in it, maybe I need to believe more in it to recieve a nice placebo effect :D

• Like 2

Recently I've been cutting down on meat, simply as an experiment, and only eating pork or chicken a couple meals per week or when I'm genuinely craving it. (I do believe that cravings, apart from for sugar, are signals from your body that you need something.) 

Breakfast is either eggs with vegetables (like a lazy fritata) or oatmeal. I don't eat lunch because I'm sleeping. Dinner is usually a vegetable stirfry with rice, a fried egg on top or on some days pork laarb. I love spicy soups, clear broth, seafood rather than chicken in those... but that's kind of a treat, not really part of my regular diet. Canned tuna and pickles (expensive here, so an indulgence that's occasional, for sure) are something that happen sometimes. I eat all the eggs.

No real supplements to speak of. I'm like Michelle in that I just don't remember to take them, but I do have some powders that are BCAA and Creatine blends that I'll put in my water during PM workout - maybe twice per week I remember. I was taking Ginseng tablets for a while but have forgotten. I think that was good though, so I'll try to remember to go back to that.

• Like 2

How do you like the BCAA's? I am constantly experimenting with stuff lol, that's up next on my list. Still working on a new diet plan, but I will post it up when I have at least a couple days of different meals since a lot of people don't like to eat the exact same stuff constantly.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Maybe I should ask on the vegan tread since I'm vegan but here will work too I guess :) 

Does anyone has advice to gain muscular mass (diet and exercices)? I lost weight and I'm scared my coach would cancel my first fight because I'm way too light now. And I don't wanna get easy fatty weight with chocolate pie, the goal would be more strength if I gain mass.

ขอบคุณค่ะ :) 

• Like 1

How do you like the BCAA's? I am constantly experimenting with stuff lol, that's up next on my list. Still working on a new diet plan, but I will post it up when I have at least a couple days of different meals since a lot of people don't like to eat the exact same stuff constantly.

I've found that I'm less sore ("less sore," not absent of soreness) when I take BCAA's regularly. I gave some of the powdered intra-workout kind to my trainer so he could try it. He had tablets that he never remembered to take but the powder he liked the flavor so he took it for about 5 days. He said he felt better, less tired he said.

Maybe I should ask on the vegan tread since I'm vegan but here will work too I guess :) 

Does anyone has advice to gain muscular mass (diet and exercices)? I lost weight and I'm scared my coach would cancel my first fight because I'm way too light now. And I don't wanna get easy fatty weight with chocolate pie, the goal would be more strength if I gain mass.

ขอบคุณค่ะ :) 

There are some good soy-based protein powders that you can try in order to gain muscle, but you'll have to lift weights in order to have that effect. Just drinking protein shakes doesn't build muscle. If you want to gain weight you should probably keep your carb intake up, which as a vegan means either insane amounts of vegetables or adding more grains to your diet.

In terms of supplements, I've never been able to gain weight easily or consistently. I'll go up a very little bit, then drop down again. I'm heavier now than before I moved to Thailand and my "mass" is certainly more muscular. When I look at old photos I'm surprised by how much my body has changed, but I think that has more to do with my training than my diet. Anyway, the point was that the supplement Creatine helps your muscles hold on to water, thereby helping you maintain (rather than "gain") weight. So you can try that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a BCAA for the first time. I usually just eat clean and balanced, but curious to see if this helps at all. I'm not looking to gain any mass, just better protect what I do have - and if it helps better my recovery as well that'll ve awesome. Fingers crossed. :)

which as a vegan means either insane amounts of vegetables or adding more grains to your diet

hahahaha, indeed! 

Thanks for all your advices, will maybe try Creatine too :)

Just ordered a BCAA for the first time. I usually just eat clean and balanced, but curious to see if this helps at all. I'm not looking to gain any mass, just better protect what I do have - and if it helps better my recovery as well that'll ve awesome. Fingers crossed. :)

Keep us posted !