Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

Low Potassium and Heart Conditions - A Possible Concern for Keto & Fasting

We've written elsewhere that potassium is a concern for strict ketogenic diets, in particular with athletes, and presumably also with fasting. We supplement with Cream of Tartar, as always, research how much you should need, and calculate where you are getting it from. But...an additional concern about low potassium, isn't just the lethargy, or cramping, if you aren't getting what you need. I can also lead to, or promote heart failure and arrest. There is lots to google here if you need, but one such study.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100209123812.htm

The idea is that the heart needs potassium to electrically fire regularly, low potassium can interfere with this, and produce clotting which can be life threatening. Basically, you just don't want to be habitually low, especially as an athlete, who sheds it in workouts. Food sources for potassium on a ketogenic diet (avocado, spinach, etc), can help, but could become repetitious, and one can lose track of how much potassium one is consuming regularly. 

We had this discussion before but just to bring it up again. I was low carb, had runny tummy, it was summer and I sweated a lot and found myself having intense chest pains. Felt like my heart was pinched, I was exhausted and very very uncomfortable. When my heart cramped again a friend took me to the ER, they admitted me checked me and when tests came back it said all good except low on potassium. Not super low, just low. I got a powder and felt like new within 30 minutes. I wanted to supplement potassium to avoid this in the future but no pharmacy would sell me without prescription and my doc refused to give me one as a new blood test showed potassium back to normal. As too much potassium is as dangerous as too little apparently. From my experience checking kidney and electrolytes seems like it's a sensitive balance, I was recently slightly low again, had more avocados and salt and it went back up within three months. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LengLeng said:

When my heart cramped again a friend took me to the ER, they admitted me checked me and when tests came back it said all good except low on potassium. Not super low, just low. I got a powder and felt like new within 30 minutes.

What I found a little interesting was the story that I guess consistently low potassium might actually produce blood clots in the heart. Meaning, not just presenting an immediate issue of lethargy, or cramping, but something that could conceivably be life threatening, on delay. The clot could form, and then be pumped out, and produce a blockage later. 

23 minutes ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

What I found a little interesting was the story that I guess consistently low potassium might actually produce blood clots in the heart. Meaning, not just presenting an immediate issue of lethargy, or cramping, but something that could conceivably be life threatening, on delay. The clot could form, and then be pumped out, and produce a blockage later. 

This is pretty upsetting. I haven't had time to read more than the summary, what was the cause of their low potassium levels? 

And would this not support the idea of eating a all-round nutrivore diet rather than diets eliminating food groups?