Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

Low Potassium: A Possible Fasting (and Keto) Concern for Covid-19 a Study Suggests

This focus is for everyone who may not be watching their potassium levels closely enough, but could be even more significant for athletes, and those that fast or are keto. I've written before on possible fasting and even ketogenic benefits in slowing down Covid-19 through the promotion of autophagy, which could possibly slow the replication of the virus down, but on the other hand, this very small study draws a pretty direct correlation between Covid-19 infection, and a drop in potassium levels. Low potassium (Hypokalemia) is already a built-in concern when following Keto or fasting diets, just because one has to pay closer attention to how you are getting your potassium (it's less likely just to be there regularly in your diet without thinking about it), and how much you are getting (people underestimate how much they need, a bowl of spinach doesn't cut it). As a training athlete who is sweating sodium and potassium daily, this is even more the case.

Read the summation article on the study here: Covid-19 Research Updates: Chinese Study Reveals That Hypokalemia Present In Almost All Covid-19 Patients, and the study itself here: Hypokalemia and Clinical Implications in Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Hypokalemia is best described as low level of potassium (K+) ions  in the blood serum. Mild low potassium does not typically cause symptoms. Symptoms may include feeling tired, leg cramps, weakness, and constipation. Low potassium also increases the risk of an abnormal heart rhythm, which is often too slow and can cause cardiac arrest.

It was found that as the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus attacks human cells via the ACE2 (Angiotensin- converting enzyme-2) receptors, it also attacks the renin–angiotensin system (RAS), causing low electrolyte levels in particularly potassium ions.

The study involving 175 patients in collaboration with Wenzhou Hospital found that almost all patients exhibited hypokalemia and for those who already had hypokalemia, the situation even drastically worsened as the disease progressed.

However, it was found from the study that patients responded well to potassium ion supplements and had a better chance of recovery. - from the summary article

While fasting and a strong ketogenic approach do not directly relate to the hypokalemia of the disease, getting enough potassium on a ketogenic diet could be difficult, and when fasting (depending on the kind of fast), maybe more than difficult. I've written a little about the issue of potassium on a 1+1 Keto approach, here and here. Depending on how restricted you are, and your personal of food choices, you may have to really WORK to make sure you get your potassium up to at least the often recommended 4,700 mg (and probably more if you are a sweating athlete) <<< as always, the note: too much potassium can be fatal (this is a lot, but still be careful), do not mess with this, do your own research on how much you need, and how you are getting it.

All of this means, be diligent about potassium, anyways. But...if Covid-19 creates low potassium as a condition, it stands to reason that the two factors could exacerbate each other. For instance, you may be an relatively asymptomatic Covid-19 carrier, but still be suffering from mild hypokalemia, and dietary choices and exercise might be adding to that. Getting potassium up to at least the recommended seems like an important thing to be sure of.

12 hours ago, Mick Moody said:

Fantastic. I've lost 50kg so far through keyto. The magnesium is so good too. I play guitar in a band and used to get really bad cramps in my hand, magnesium stopped that instantly. 

50 kg! Wow. So good, and glad to hear. And the magnesium too! The secret little solution, right? It makes me feel good to hear this.

• Like 1

The singer in my band is a gym junky, she got me on to the magnesium. I was shocked at how effective it was. The first time I tried it I had no hand cramps at all. I couldn't believe it. She is also the person that introduced me to Keyto. She was 110kg and is now 68kg. We have a little "keyto cult" going, The receptionist at work has lost around 40kg. Before Keyto I was pre-diabetic, I was lethargic and struggled to get through the day. I lost the first ten to fifteen kg without lifting a finger really. But I thought if I start exercising I could speed up the weight loss. When I was in my 20's I had a went through a similar weight loss through training. So I thought if i start training Mauy Thai agian that it would keep me interested enough to keep going, lifting weights bores me and I give up. I'm 44 at the moment and I've gone from having to take naps after work because of exhaustion, to training 2 to 3 times a day and seriously thinking about going to Thailand to train and hopefully fight (westerner, not Thai, they're terrifying ha). I actually tried getting back into training before I tried keyto and just didn't have the energy. I was training with my cousin and gave up because last time I lost weight it took 5 years on high carb / low fat, and I just thought it was going to be impossible. Now when I train with him, I'm in keytosis and have a ton of energy. Keyto has literally added years onto my life and saved me from an early grave, plus the quality of life I have now is amazing. To be honest I owe it all to the singer in my band, she's a genius. 

here's a pic of us playing at the Songkran festival in Mackay (Australia), there was a Muay Boran demonstration and I got to meet the local Muay Thai club guys and ended up having some private sessions there. 

58379731_2110556165679751_7193751590061211648_o.jpg

• Gamma 1

I am no expert but when trying to meet recommended potassium levels which I think is around 4700mg/day or something with a regular omnivore diet (which is really hard in itself) so I looked into potassium supplementation and I forget what exactly because its been awhile but they where not recommended because of side effects they can cause. Just wanted to make sure everyone looks into that for themselves before doing so to make a decision from there. 

19 hours ago, Cysole said:

I am no expert but when trying to meet recommended potassium levels which I think is around 4700mg/day or something with a regular omnivore diet (which is really hard in itself) so I looked into potassium supplementation and I forget what exactly because its been awhile but they where not recommended because of side effects they can cause. Just wanted to make sure everyone looks into that for themselves before doing so to make a decision from there. 

This. 100%. The problem isn't the side effects of normal amounts. The problem is that it can be fatal if you overdose on it (and...it can also be fatal if you drop dangerously low on it, as well). What seems to have happened is that because of a few overdoes from cases many decades ago, the government or governments just made a complete blanket unofficial banning of significant supplementation. Yes, there are supplements out there, but they are so very, very low in potassium you couldn't overdose on it if you tried. They just said: Let's keep this so far from the fence of danger nobody will be able do something stupid. From all my Googling, and this is really where I get my info, so nothing special, doctors don't even know the exact range of what would be a fatal dose. Anecdotally, it is pretty damn high, but...it still is reachable if you really do something dumb and quadrupedal your intact of a potent supplement, or perhaps higher. So, for someone like me, it just makes sense to find what is a reasonable middle ground between fatality and base needs, as an educated person.

BUT YES. Everyone and anyone research this for yourself. Figure out what is likely needed, and if you are in a diet which does not have natural sources of enough potassium, figure out how how you are going to get at the very least the recommended amount.

21 hours ago, Mick Moody said:

The singer in my band is a gym junky, she got me on to the magnesium. I was shocked at how effective it was. The first time I tried it I had no hand cramps at all. I couldn't believe it. She is also the person that introduced me to Keyto. She was 110kg and is now 68kg. We have a little "keyto cult" going, The receptionist at work has lost around 40kg. Before Keyto I was pre-diabetic, I was lethargic and struggled to get through the day. I lost the first ten to fifteen kg without lifting a finger really. But I thought if I start exercising I could speed up the weight loss. When I was in my 20's I had a went through a similar weight loss through training. So I thought if i start training Mauy Thai agian that it would keep me interested enough to keep going, lifting weights bores me and I give up. I'm 44 at the moment and I've gone from having to take naps after work because of exhaustion, to training 2 to 3 times a day and seriously thinking about going to Thailand to train and hopefully fight (westerner, not Thai, they're terrifying ha). I actually tried getting back into training before I tried keyto and just didn't have the energy. I was training with my cousin and gave up because last time I lost weight it took 5 years on high carb / low fat, and I just thought it was going to be impossible. Now when I train with him, I'm in keytosis and have a ton of energy. Keyto has literally added years onto my life and saved me from an early grave, plus the quality of life I have now is amazing. To be honest I owe it all to the singer in my band, she's a genius. 

This is just one fo the best stories I have read, and I loved you sharing it. I read the whole thing aloud to Sylvie. Thank you. And the photo!

• Like 2