Covid affecting training and/or fights for you?

Just checking in to see what is happening around the world with Muay Thai and the pandemic.  I am at home with a sick spouse and so unwilling to expose my gym in case I am a carrier.  Supposedly they will begin online training soon, and I trained at home and will continue to do so.  A fighter in my gym had his fight cancelled due to the epidemic (its a small gym).  What is up with you?

4 hours ago, threeoaks said:

Just checking in to see what is happening around the world with Muay Thai and the pandemic.  I am at home with a sick spouse and so unwilling to expose my gym in case I am a carrier.  Supposedly they will begin online training soon, and I trained at home and will continue to do so.  A fighter in my gym had his fight cancelled due to the epidemic (its a small gym).  What is up with you?

Some of my gyms in Bangkok have considered closing down but not done so yet. The SuperChamp host Matthew Deane has posted on Instagram he's confirmed Covid-19 and I heard this Sunday's show has been cancelled. Some arenas, including, JF Stadium in Pattaya have canceled fights on ad hoc basic. I'm in Yangon and Myanmar has no confirmed cases but that does not say anything pretty sure it's already here. No gyms have closed down yet but other larger events including this years new year/water festival.  I've had a sinus infection this week so worked from home, fatigued, but no fever no shortness of breath so went back to the gym when I felt better. Through my work I'm involved in the public health sector and if there's an outbreak it will not be good. Next week there will be further guidelines for working arrangements, travels (restricted for now), public gatherings, etc. There's some panic, people stocking up and I sort of expect gyms to announce they might close temporarily as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snack Payback said:

Trained today in Perth, West Australia. A couple of the lads in the gym have fights coming up in a few weeks. Still set to go ahead at the moment.

Glad to hear it.  Had a friend just come back from an art biennial in Australia (Sydney?  Not sure).   Seems calm at the moment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LengLeng said:

Some of my gyms in Bangkok have considered closing down but not done so yet. The SuperChamp host Matthew Deane has posted on Instagram he's confirmed Covid-19 and I heard this Sunday's show has been cancelled. Some arenas, including, JF Stadium in Pattaya have canceled fights on ad hoc basic. I'm in Yangon and Myanmar has no confirmed cases but that does not say anything pretty sure it's already here. No gyms have closed down yet but other larger events including this years new year/water festival.  I've had a sinus infection this week so worked from home, fatigued, but no fever no shortness of breath so went back to the gym when I felt better. Through my work I'm involved in the public health sector and if there's an outbreak it will not be good. Next week there will be further guidelines for working arrangements, travels (restricted for now), public gatherings, etc. There's some panic, people stocking up and I sort of expect gyms to announce they might close temporarily as well. 

That sounds like the stage we were at last week - kinda desultory preparation and a few things slowing down here and there.  But this week we are in full shutdown - schools, all large social events and people are being directed to limit their social engagements, maintain 6 feet apart as best they can (hard in cities but I am in a small town).  I have noticed a gym offering classes for 4 people only to be able to keep the 6 feet apart.  My gym and others are banning shared equipment.  People have to bring their own and not leave them in the gym.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, threeoaks said:

That sounds like the stage we were at last week - kinda desultory preparation and a few things slowing down here and there.  But this week we are in full shutdown - schools, all large social events and people are being directed to limit their social engagements, maintain 6 feet apart as best they can (hard in cities but I am in a small town).  I have noticed a gym offering classes for 4 people only to be able to keep the 6 feet apart.  My gym and others are banning shared equipment.  People have to bring their own and not leave them in the gym.  

Oooh...yeah I feel it too as if it will get more intense. I'm just worried ppl will start panicking and other countries will close their borders to us. I'll train one way or the other. 

• Like 1

So no super soaker water fights this year in april either?

Tbh the not using shared gloves thing, might be an idea, gonna do that now for sure. Always borrowed gym's big gloves for sparring before.

But then you gotta wonder...how much will that protect us considering we also clinch up and get covered with eachother's sweaty ape juice. 

• Like 1

Thailand has varying responses. Some promotions are continuing and airing live on TV, but they don't allow spectators in to watch. There's a limit of 100 people (in some of these cases) including cameramen, cornermen, doctors, etc. Some places have stopped promoting completely and made big public displays of deep-cleaning and disinfecting the venues. Some places are carrying on as usual, no changes, other than seeing more people wearing masks. There are a few gyms that have stopped taking new clients (those who are already there and paid are continuing), some are closing entirely (this is highly unusual), and some that have international clients are requiring "health certificates" before accepting new students.

It's a huge problem in terms of affecting the livelihood of countless people in Thailand though. From fighters to promoters, gym owners, professional gamblers, etc. People have to eat. There's a lot of criticism of implementing these cancellations without also offering help to those who it affects the most.

• Like 2

Hi, in Belgium all sport venues and gyms are closed until (I suppose at least) the 3rd of April and then it's Easter holiday when most venues are closed anyways for two weeks. Some people still go lightly over the subject, but having the misery of Italy so closeby, it really seems the most appropriate to just stay in and keep a distance when going out as mentioned above. I am lucky as my partner and I train together so we can practice at home. Also in the meanwhile there are already corona work out videos online which I'm gonna give a try this morning!

• Like 2

Here in Midwestern United States. Leading up to this had been starting a gym geared toward individuals who were not currently being served by local gyms (queer, trans, immigrant, acab, etc). In the last week we've seen the states around the area closing food and bar establishments except for delivery, with more restrictions on the way. Currently gatherings of over 100 are banned. Its a shame, was really kicking muay thai butt. Now most of our efforts are going to community support, making sure everyone has food and supplies for a suspected lockdown, and self isolating as much as possible. Our trainer has been in Europe and now has had travel restricted in regards to coming back to the states. Also everyone I know are service industry workers and we are all out of jobs atm.

• Like 2

Heard from friends in the UK that gyms are closing now, both Thai and BJJ. Poland getting locked down too. Am in Thailand right now and can't believe how the numbers show that it's safer to stay here than go back.

• Like 1

Most gyms shutting down in Bangkok as per government request. Owner of Numponthep gym and well renowned promoter Num seems like he has gotten infected as well. Stay safe. Myanmar is also shutting down cinemas, night clubs and public events. No confirmed cases but they only tested less than 150 potential cases with a population of more than 50 million people. Gyms still open for now. 

• Like 1

Ok this has gone beyond gyms closing now. Krakow is a ghost town, European friends texting me saying they're too terrified to order Domino's and touch the same cardboard as the delivery boy etc. How much of all this fear is legit ya think?

• Like 1

Almost everything is shutting down in Thailand as well, depending on location as each province can make their own rules. But tomorrow the PM will be announcing the articles of a State of Emergency that will start on March 26 and extend at minimum to April 26th. I'm pretty anxious awaiting the details, honestly.

Gyms are closed, restaurants are take-out only, only groceries and "essential businesses" are open.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, Oliver said:

Ok this has gone beyond gyms closing now. Krakow is a ghost town, European friends texting me saying they're too terrified to order Domino's and touch the same cardboard as the delivery boy etc. How much of all this fear is legit ya think?

It's a bad disease.  I had my first close friend die, quickly (guess that's a blessing).  We are in the USA Upstate New York (NYC is epicenter).  I don't like living in fear but I do like living in reality (well like it.. maybe not right now but better than la la land).  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Almost everything is shutting down in Thailand as well, depending on location as each province can make their own rules. But tomorrow the PM will be announcing the articles of a State of Emergency that will start on March 26 and extend at minimum to April 26th. I'm pretty anxious awaiting the details, honestly.

Gyms are closed, restaurants are take-out only, only groceries and "essential businesses" are open.

I am sorry it sounds terrible.  I know the shutdown is for safety and it is the same here but its unsettling that life changes so rapidly.  I'm glad the PM will take control of the whole country because a patchwork approach seems ineffectual.  The US is so immense and things are proceeding piecemeal since the fucking "president" is doing nothing but damage.  Many beautiful stories for example Ford is making ventilators, a former art student of mine is fabricating high end face shields for health workers.  Thank you again for your Covid training videos.  This is so strange - a truly global phenomenon in our lifetime (like a WW).  Love to all your people and the Roundtable people too.  I just got a kicking bag for my studio (which is isolated).  I know I am very lucky to be able to do shit like that.  A wall is excellent too.  My coach is making videos with his adorable tiny kids.  People are giving away training for free in Instagram (like you).  My other coach thinks its not really happening (young, invincible), and my third coach has switched to Zoom training which totally works.  I am rattling on.  Bye.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, threeoaks said:

It's a bad disease.  I had my first close friend die, quickly (guess that's a blessing).  We are in the USA Upstate New York (NYC is epicenter).  I don't like living in fear but I do like living in reality (well like it.. maybe not right now but better than la la land).  Good luck.

That's awful, sorry to hear that.

Good luck to you too 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, Sylvie von Duuglas-Ittu said:

Your gym in Pattaya closed too?

3 hours ago, 515 said:

I think all gyms in Thailand are/should be closed (obligated by the government).

Not mine, but I'm in the countryside, middle of nowhere. Bangkok yeah, all closed in think.

Australia has closed all gyms but my gym is doing a discount membership for online classes and workouts (a few other gyms are doing this too) 

I just spent some time today putting up my 2nd heavy bag and turning my garage into a little gym as I can’t really afford to pay my membership for online training right now. 
pretty much lost all my source of income due to the virus restrictions. 

I’m keeping busy with Muay Thai/ the Muay Thai library, and Sylvie’s FB  lives is what is keeping my mental health in check .

Stay home and safe everyone 🙏🏼

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 10:14 PM, threeoaks said:

I’m so sorry about your friend 🙏🏼

• Heart 1

On 3/25/2020 at 8:14 PM, threeoaks said:

Very sorry to hear that

• Heart 1