Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

Coffee Good for Bone Density - Always Important for Muay Thai Fighters

A new study concluded that drinking coffee (I believe it was the equivalent of 4 or 5 espressos a day), provided significant improvement of bone health. This is pretty good news because there had been previous concern that coffee could impede calcium absorption, maybe still the case. As 1+1 Keto dieters in Thailand Sylvie and I are definitely coffee-centric, it's become a big part of our lives both on eat and fasting days. Bone density, with all the bone on bone contact in Muay Thai would seem to be a pretty big plus. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

A new study concluded that drinking coffee (I believe it was the equivalent of 4 or 5 espressos a day), provided significant improvement of bone health. This is pretty good news because there had been previous concern that coffee could impede calcium absorption, maybe still the case. As 1+1 Keto dieters in Thailand Sylvie and I are definitely coffee-centric, it's become a big part of our lives both on eat and fasting days. Bone density, with all the bone on bone contact in Muay Thai would seem to be a pretty big plus. 

I googled the study for the abstract and seems like it was based on self-reporting. Not sure what else the coffee drinkers did that could have impacted bone density as I did not read the full study. Did they put milk in their coffee for example? But as a coffee drinker I am also pretty pleased with the findings hehe. 

3 hours ago, LengLeng said:

seems like it was based on self-reporting.

True, self reporting often produces less ideal results. But...I would say: How much coffee do you drink a day? is a pretty easy question to answer. I would not expect a lot of misreporting on that (unlike how many calories do you consume, or how much protein, etc). One would think that the amount of milk involved would not be substantial enough. I looked at the abstract and some of the benefits seem to have direct relationship to the bone density (caffeine metabolites? something like that...I don't have it in front of me.)

A little fine print.

“Among these [12] metabolites, 11 known metabolites were previously identified to be associated with coffee intake and 6 of them were related to caffeine metabolism. Habitual coffee intake was positively and significantly associated with BMD at the lumbar spine and femoral neck,” the authors wrote.

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2020/02/12/coffee-may-be-good-for-bone-health-according-to-new-study/

As long you maintain healthy calcium levels in your diet, it seems to be a good match.

• Nak Muay 1