Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

Coffee Good for Bone Density - Always Important for Muay Thai Fighters

A new study concluded that drinking coffee (I believe it was the equivalent of 4 or 5 espressos a day), provided significant improvement of bone health. This is pretty good news because there had been previous concern that coffee could impede calcium absorption, maybe still the case. As 1+1 Keto dieters in Thailand Sylvie and I are definitely coffee-centric, it's become a big part of our lives both on eat and fasting days. Bone density, with all the bone on bone contact in Muay Thai would seem to be a pretty big plus. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu said:

A new study concluded that drinking coffee (I believe it was the equivalent of 4 or 5 espressos a day), provided significant improvement of bone health. This is pretty good news because there had been previous concern that coffee could impede calcium absorption, maybe still the case. As 1+1 Keto dieters in Thailand Sylvie and I are definitely coffee-centric, it's become a big part of our lives both on eat and fasting days. Bone density, with all the bone on bone contact in Muay Thai would seem to be a pretty big plus. 

I googled the study for the abstract and seems like it was based on self-reporting. Not sure what else the coffee drinkers did that could have impacted bone density as I did not read the full study. Did they put milk in their coffee for example? But as a coffee drinker I am also pretty pleased with the findings hehe. 

3 hours ago, LengLeng said:

seems like it was based on self-reporting.

True, self reporting often produces less ideal results. But...I would say: How much coffee do you drink a day? is a pretty easy question to answer. I would not expect a lot of misreporting on that (unlike how many calories do you consume, or how much protein, etc). One would think that the amount of milk involved would not be substantial enough. I looked at the abstract and some of the benefits seem to have direct relationship to the bone density (caffeine metabolites? something like that...I don't have it in front of me.)

A little fine print.

“Among these [12] metabolites, 11 known metabolites were previously identified to be associated with coffee intake and 6 of them were related to caffeine metabolism. Habitual coffee intake was positively and significantly associated with BMD at the lumbar spine and femoral neck,” the authors wrote.

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2020/02/12/coffee-may-be-good-for-bone-health-according-to-new-study/

As long you maintain healthy calcium levels in your diet, it seems to be a good match.

• Nak Muay 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• This is an old link. Kru Thailand used to be at Santai, but he left to open up his own gym a couple of years ago now. I think also the Santai head trainer Kru Apple did as well.
    • You can find the gym's FB page here: https://web.facebook.com/Sit-Thailand-Muay-Thai-Gym-106840670828643 You can get a feel for it from the photos and videos posted. Also Sylvie has filmed with Kru Thailand 2x for the Muay Thai Library if you want to get a feeling for his teaching style: #83 Thailand Pinsinchai 2 - The Beauty of Clinch (57 min) watch it here In Kru Thailand's first session in the Library he taught all the principles of his femeu style, in this session, his second in the Library, he breaks down all the things necessary for his dominant clinch attack. Spend an hour learning the techniques that make clinch turns and damaging knees possible. All of it is balance and rhythm at close range. #16 Thailand Pinsinchai 1 - Attacking Shell (62 min) watch it here  Former Lumpinee and Rajadamnern champion Thailand Pinsinchai teaches the beautiful framework for his attacking, elbowing style. Lots of minute corrections, small vital details that turn working techniques into dominance. You get the entire picture of a Muay Buek fighter out of the legendary Pinsinchai gym .
    • Hi! Is supposed to be https://muay-thai-santai.com/thailand-pinsinchai/ Best regards
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hello my old friends. Did you see the latest One card? There was some big drama.   There was a controversial decision in the main event, in the comain prajanchai quit on the stool and apparently he is catching lots of flack for it, There was a big tournament and rodtang and superlek are in it, and Nat Wondergirl had her MMA debut and cuts a good promo in English haha. 
    • I think what's more important than scent is how effective they actually are. In my experience once gloves smell bad, there's no going back. I'd love to find a solution that works.
    • Exceptional display of courage.  Stood up until the end.
    • Hey, I'm familiar with the struggles with partnering with beginners.  Once is a while is fine, but you don't get as much out of the class as you would with someone at your level.  Here are things I've done in the past: 1) ask the advanced women to come help me train (either in class of outside of class)  2) invite the women that are less advanced, but seem keen on learning, to train with me outside of class, say casually for just techniques (I specified no sparring).  Also give them opportunity to suggest what to work on during those times you train together.  The 2nd one was very hard initially for me, as it involved setting up this new group training.   Our gym had ladies' sparring before that ended in disasters, so I tried to steer us away from that.  Also talking to be ppl I don't know and managing multiple new relationships makes me very anxious and mentally exhausted. But that investment of energy pays dividends -  I started this a few years ago and I have a few women from there that developed a lot since and partners when me in class consistently.  We train together outside of class also.  We even met up in parks to train when the gym got shutdown during covid (but small groups outdoor gatherings were allowed).
    • Perhaps  "Advanced course for shorter people"??   Or  Advance course in how to fight longer opps?   Anyway.  In a world when we have awesome stories about girls and women breaking upp the roof,  where much HAD been established re equality and reasonably alike possibilities,  for women, but really for all;  so to notice  its not over yet.   The battle is won, but the war goes on and battles must be fought and won again and again...   So to speak...
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts