Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

The Roundtable Forum Community a Rebirth

Hey, everyone who has been a part of the forum over the last several years, as many of you know the 8limbsus site was maliciously attacked in a pretty devastating way, the site had basically been wiped clean from the server, and though through the very hard work and support of several people 99.9 % of the site has been restored, one of the aspects of the site that was lost were all the photographs that had been uploaded to the forum. This means not only as the profile photos that everyone used, which gave a sense of closer community, but also all the humorous photos, the rich artistic photos, the uploads that were informative and explanatory. This was a pretty huge hit to me, personally. As a photographer I wanted the forum to be a home for an archive of images, and discussion around images, and I worked pretty hard on trying to develop this. I opened up the upload options so photographers could load hi-res versions of their photos, I hoped the forum would be a home for not only awesome conversation, but also graphics. I'm also writing to say that Sylvie and I really have to get back to focusing our time on the forum. For us the destruction was a serious gut punch. It honestly felt like our house had been broken into and ransacked. It felt invaded, and almost like it wasn't our home any longer. It's hard to explain, but we put a lot of ourselves into the digital record. Sylvie poured her heart and mind into everything, I extended my imagination, together we were creating something very special that exists no other place, and the forum was a huge part of that. There is no conversation space like this anywhere in the world, in a time when conversations are so radically changing. We feel beat down, honestly, by the intrusion and erasure, but we want to help bring it back, and maybe make the forum even better, different than it would have otherwise been. I'm really writing this to say thank you to everyone who keep investing in the forum, and to let you know we are in on it too (!), but it's taking some time. And to let you know that the wiping of the forum, and it's photos, it hurt us somehow, and we are still recovering from the kind of psychic-shock. We are doing so many projects, trying to document and foster conversation in so many ways, the blindside of it all just kind of unexpectedly hit us in a weak spot. So, thank you to everyone a part of the forum, you make so many important things possible. This forum is important. It's a digital oasis, and we can make it whatever we want it to be. That is really what this forum has always been. With the help of patrons we were able to carve it out, to kind of donate it back to everyone, and invest in it ourselves. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Like 4
  • The Greatest 1
  • Heart 1

Nice post, Kevin. It must have been very upsetting for you and Sylvie to suddenly lose all your work like that after putting so much into it over the years. I'm glad you were able to get most of it back.

And not to worry, that gif I made the other month is still saved on my hard drive 👍

• Like 2

@Kevin von Duuglas-Ittu

Thanks for sharing this. I am deeply sorry for what happened. I once had my home broken into and I thought when this happened that it must have felt like that. A violation and attack on your space that you built and nurtured. I'm grateful and happy you could rebuild it.

You two are doing so many amazing things that no one ever done before and it's beyond me how you can be so generous not only sharing it, but also package everything you do in a way we can all learn from it. You always take care of putting things into a context, ensuring the right message comes across for everyone to absorb the knowledge. 

It also struck me more than once how you two never really take any time off and I have no idea where that energy and productivity and discipline come from. First doing all the things. Then sharing it. Repeat and repeat. 

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• This short essay series also confronts the aesthetics of Muay Thai, as a practice. Arguments that Westerners often come to train in Thailand as a matter of a project of aesthetics.      
    • I'm just going to respond generally here. I think at 70 kg your best bet would be a gym in Phuket, because I'm not sure it would be easy to get a fight with a Thai in other parts of the country? Perhaps there are really experienced Thai female fighters in Chiang Mai who fight at 60? At least in Phuket you'd have a better chance of being matched up against another larger westerner as well? We're a little blind on the state of fighting promotions in Chiang Mai and Phuket, in the COVID era, but it seems that Phuket is having more regular shows than Chiang Mai at this point. In terms of gym recommendations though, we really don't know Phuket gyms, personally. Phuket Fight Club is a very powerful gym in Phuket that features a lot of Brazilian fighters on shows, that seems to teach a very disciplined, kick-oriented, balanced attack (based on how they seem to fight). At least with the good sized gym like that you'd have suitable training partners, and they should be able to get you fights...but this is just a view from afar.
    • I'll be going to Thailand for 2-3 months next summer with my aim being training as much as possible and hopefully fighting. I've only had 2 fights, by the time I go I'm hoping to have had 3. One thing that I believe might cause me issues is the fact that I'm pretty big, 5'9 and walk around at about 70kg. In the west it's not that big of a problem, I always train with men because there is never any girl my size and I don't mind it at all, but I wonder if that could be an issue in Thailand. I'd also like to add that while I'm looking to develop my whole game and work on my weaknesses, I'm naturally a long range counter fighter and kicks have always been my best asset. I also have a kyokushin karate background. I've always been most comfortable keeping range and scoring on the back foot, no matter how hard my karate coaches have tried to change it, so I'm looking for a gym that would best suit my style.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Thank you 🙂 I asked my coach too ( Ganyao Arunleung) and in his golden age fashion said it doesn't matter, it's the heart that matters 😄😂💖 I told him Muay Thai is the love of my life (just don't tell my husband 😉😄). I think I'll put the amulet on the rim right before the tail comes together. Or I'll wear it with a necklace and find another for the Mongkol.  It will all come together as meant to be at the right time 🤞🏻
    • I train at Pacific Ring Sports on Telegraph and 40th. What about you?
    • Amulets can go anywhere on the rim of the Mongkol, the only place I don't see them is on the tail. The hair can be put inside fabric and tied on to the Mongkol, or put in a fabric that gets integrated into the wrapping.  My mom's skirt was cut into long strips and twosted very tightly, then wrapped around the tube that's the shape of the Mongkol and glued into place.
    • This is so cool.  Where do you train? I leave on the Bay Area.  
    • Hello,  I made my own Mongkol as the gym I train at doesn't have a gym Mongkol to dress fighters with. I also bought an amulet that, long story short, feels like it was meant to be, but its bigger than I expected and covers my whole forehead ( not so much vanity concern, but more size ratio awkwardness) if placed in the front center of the Mongkol.   Is it allowed to place the amulet at the back or side of the Mongkol? Also I have some of my sons hair to put on my Mongkol,  but don't know where it's supposed to be placed as well if anyone knows.  Lastly, I saw Silvies YouTube on how she had her mom's skirt made into her monkol and it had a little axe amulet. I have a fabric I wore back when traveling, and now as a mom and muay thai fighter, I want to make it into a Mongkol for my son (whether he continues with the sport again the future or not, at least he would have a monkol made from his mom's fabric). Is there any way to see a tutorial on how they actually made the fabric Mongkol (it looked twisted in a certain way but I don't know how).  I have an arrow amulet I want to add on either my or my son's Mongkols, but again the sizing of it in comparison to the actual Mongkol seem uneven.  Anyways , any answers would be greatly appreciated.  
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts