Patreon Muay Thai Library - The Podcast Version (iTunes)

iTunes Muay Thai Bones Podcast.jpg

The response has been pretty awesome for the Muay Thai Bones podcast, just me and Sylvie diving way down into the most details and big notion ideas that lie within Muay Thai, crazy as it may be. You can find the videos of those podcasts here on YouTube. So we're thinking of creating a podcast version of new Muay Thai Library sessions, and doing something special around the Muay Thai Library sessions. In the past we have put up the audio of some of them on Soundcloud, but we want to do something more, richer, more satisfying. We realize that we put up so much high-density content it's almost impossible to take it all in, so it might be nice to listen passively, on the run, to the sessions, and decide if they sound like something you'd like to watch in video, and study.

What we are thinking of is maybe a kind of mini-Muay Thai Bones, big idea chat session that could be also a video, maybe 20 minutes or so filmed after the session was done, a kind of Library Coffee (maybe just literally drinking coffee and hour later), followed by the audio of the session itself. This should give an hour and a half of good listening. No, you would not be able to see the video, obviously, but maybe we can help bring it alive more in Sylvie's audio commentary, and conversation. Back when we would just drop the audio file on Soundcloud several people wrote to say that they really enjoyed this. They would listen in the car, or on the way to the gym, and feel more connected to the Muay Thai of Thailand. Because a lot of what we are trying to do is to make people feel like they are here, and also bring out the bigger, important ideas of Muay Thai, and Muay Thai history, this seems like a good way to go.

I'm starting this post here mostly to get feedback, and to hear from you on ideas for things that would make this more interesting. We're open to all thoughts, but know that we have to find things that have as little friction in development, simply because we are already pretty swamped by all the content Sylvie already produces. Things that involve typed out translation, timestamps, anything that digs into piece by piece work is at this point overwhelming, to be honest. We are already backed up on some incredible projects that hopefully are coming your way.

But, if we can come up with innovative, creative ideas, ways to create more context, more detail, and a more enjoyable way to feel connected to the session through audio, that would be awesome.

Thank you to everyone supporting us on Patreon already. And, if you don't follow Muay Thai Bones on iTunes you can find out how to subscribe in this post here.

If you don't know what the Muay Thai Library project is, check it out here. There is now over 80 hours of archived, commentary training footage with legends and brilliant krus of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Gamma 2

I love Muay Thai Bones, I like to watch the video version in small chunks. There's so much to digest. I don't often listen to podcasts if there is video available instead. Post Muay Thai Library chat sessions sound like a great addition. You put out so much wonderful video.  I am way behind on watching the most recent Muay Thai Library sessions, although I always read the intro article as soon as it is up. I really enjoy both your and Sylvie's writing style and would actually prefer more articles to read than more video to watch.

• Gamma 2

10 minutes ago, dtrick924 said:

I am way behind on watching the most recent Muay Thai Library sessions, although I always read the intro article as soon as it is up.

This is what I'm thinking about. Because we put up so much Muay Thai Library content trying to make a way to digest some of it without having to watch every video. Some people have said they like listening just to the audio, so maybe there is a way for us to make a kind of more audio friendly version.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Hi Warren  It was very quiet when I was there. A few local guys and 2-4 foreigners but that can change and I'm sure this gym has got more popular. You can schedule privates for whenever you want. The attention to detail here is unbelievable and I highly recommend you train at this gym. In my experience, everyone was really good training partners and I learnt loads everyday.  
    • To all the MuayThai enthusiasts who have travelled to Thailand and trained in Muay thai- I would urge you to pls fill this form to share your interests and journey insights. This will help us explore possible ways to improve muay thai gym/training program search experience for the community https://forms.gle/39pBz4wHQ2CXPWNS8 Feel free to DM me if there is any feedback or query.
    • You can look through my various articles which sometimes focuses on this: https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-forum/forum/23-kevins-corner-muay-thai-philosophy-ethics/ especially the article on Muay Thai as a Rite. The general thought is that Thailand's traditional Muay Thai offers the world an important understanding of self-control in an era which is increasingly oriented towards abject violence for entertainment. There are also arguments which connect Muay Thai to environmental concerns.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
    • I see that this thread is from three years ago, and I hope your journey with Muay Thai and mental health has evolved positively during this time. It's fascinating to revisit these discussions and reflect on how our understanding of such topics can grow. The connection between training and mental health is intricate, as you've pointed out. Finding the right balance between pushing yourself and self-care is a continuous learning process. If you've been exploring various avenues for managing mood-related issues over these years, you might want to revisit the topic of mental health resources. One such resource is The UK Medical Cannabis Card, which can provide insights into alternative treatments.
    • Phetjeeja fought Anissa Meksen for a ONE FC interim atomweight kickboxing title 12/22/2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu92S6-V5y0&ab_channel=ONEChampionship Fight starts at 45:08 Phetjeeja won on points. Not being able to clinch really handicapped her. I was afraid the ref was going to start deducting points for clinch fouls.   
    • Earlier this year I wrote a couple of sociology essays that dealt directly with Muay Thai, drawing on Sylvie's journalism and discussions on the podcast to do so. I thought I'd put them up here in case they were of any interest, rather than locking them away with the intention to perfectly rewrite them 'some day'. There's not really many novel insights of my own, rather it's more just pulling together existing literature with some of the von Duuglus-Ittu's work, which I think is criminally underutilised in academic discussions of MT. The first, 'Some meanings of muay' was written for an ideology/sosciology of knowledge paper, and is an overly long, somewhat grindy attempt to give a combined historical, institutional, and situated study of major cultural meanings of Muay Thai as a form of strength. The second paper, 'the fighter's heart' was written for a qualitative analysis course, and makes extensive use of interviews and podcast discussions to talk about some ways in which the gendered/sexed body is described/deployed within Muay Thai. There's plenty of issues with both, and they're not what I'd write today, and I'm learning to realise that's fine! some meanings of muay.docx The fighter's heart.docx
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts