Fighting against a current World Champion

I put the vid in here.

I really love how you write your fight posts Gemma. Very clear, concrete, but with great context. Good stuff! And wow, Farida is one of the best of the best, almost took Sawsing out. This is an amazing thing about Thailand which is just so incredible. You can more or less accidentally/casually fight the best in the world. It happened the first time for us when Sylvie faced someone she'd never heard of in a festival fight, got her butt beat, and later found out she was Tanonchanok the standing WPMF world champ 2 weight classes up. And then again last month, same day offer to go fight an unknown fighter on Songkran and it turns out to be another world champ under an alias. lol. These same kinds of match ups are almost impossible to have in the west, and if you had them there would be months and months lead up, crazy fight promotion, etc. Here it is just fighting, nothing more. Such a path to get better. I know you're on a losing streak, but keep fighting patiently through. You are getting better and better, but few are going to see it because of the quality of your opponents. Then, suddenly, people will say: "Whoa, how did Gemma get so good all of a sudden!"

• Like 3

Hi Gemma

I thought you did really well, especially in the later rounds in the clinch and with your checks. Farida seemed to control the distance with her thip in the early rounds and prevented you from coming forward with punches.

You nearly beat a world champion... Imagine what you'll be doing by the end of the year!

P.S.

I think Cadbury have gone crazy back in Aus, they released a vegemite chocolate...

Thank you all for your kind words. I will be rematching Farida June 9.

I put the vid in here.

I really love how you write your fight posts Gemma. Very clear, concrete, but with great context. Good stuff! And wow, Farida is one of the best of the best, almost took Sawsing out. This is an amazing thing about Thailand which is just so incredible. You can more or less accidentally/casually fight the best in the world. It happened the first time for us when Sylvie faced someone she'd never heard of in a festival fight, got her butt beat, and later found out she was Tanonchanok the standing WPMF world champ 2 weight classes up. And then again last month, same day offer to go fight an unknown fighter on Songkran and it turns out to be another world champ under an alias. lol. These same kinds of match ups are almost impossible to have in the west, and if you had them there would be months and months lead up, crazy fight promotion, etc. Here it is just fighting, nothing more. Such a path to get better. I know you're on a losing streak, but keep fighting patiently through. You are getting better and better, but few are going to see it because of the quality of your opponents. Then, suddenly, people will say: "Whoa, how did Gemma get so good all of a sudden!"

And thank you for your feedback! It's nice to see my blogs being received well.

You are absolutely right though. Imagine trying to fight a current world champion in Australia or America! It would be near impossible. And this fight was a great experience and opportunity for me. I am definitely a bit mentally defeated right now but will keep pushing forward. I am getting better. I can't let a few losses defeat me

• Like 2

And this fight was a great experience and opportunity for me. I am definitely a bit mentally defeated right now but will keep pushing forward. I am getting better. I can't let a few losses defeat me

From what I saw you made her pretty uncomfortable in the early rounds just by taking up that extra half-step of space. Everytime you were at that distance she didn't seem to have options. And it was just her squeezing out the 5th round with tiny things that come with experience. Sylvie has had a bad string of dominant 4th rounds against world class opponents, and then 5th round escapes by them, just by knowing what to do to hold off the momentum. It's nothing to bad about in the least. I think it is pretty damn cool that you get another shot at her so fast! Will be pulling for you Gemma.

• Like 1

From what I saw you made her pretty uncomfortable in the early rounds just by taking up that extra half-step of space. Everytime you were at that distance she didn't seem to have options. And it was just her squeezing out the 5th round with tiny things that come with experience. Sylvie has had a bad string of dominant 4th rounds against world class opponents, and then 5th round escapes by them, just by knowing what to do to hold off the momentum. It's nothing to bad about in the least. I think it is pretty damn cool that you get another shot at her so fast! Will be pulling for you Gemma.

It was super close. But yes, experience shone through. I am determined to break my streak though and am grateful to get another shot! Thanks for the advice and support :)

• Like 1

I loved this fight too, and your blog posts. I think you are fighting the toughest girls in the world at your weight one after the other right now, every time you announce a fight I think wow!!! what a match :). It is  interesting to me the amount of international but Thailand based fighters who are being matched against each other right now... from a sport perspective and also the dynamic of the relocated fighters who to me are in a way comrades and now facing each other in the ring. Like to follow your fight career very much Gemma thank you :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched this fight and really enjoyed it.  Thank you for posting.  I love your clinch and your evil-looking heavy and fast jab, cool movement.  Like to share it on my FB page if ok (Dana Hoey).  Need something to take my mind of another awful mass shooting here in the U.S..  This level of fighting and sportsmanship is a comfort and inspiring.  Best of luck.  New fan.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...