Street fighter - That Guy with 34 Street Fights All Won By KO

Yeah not the video game unfortunately, the usually douchey dude that comes to the gym for the free trial and wants it to continue because (gasp) he has so much experience in street scrap. Also usually, is exactly like the video meme. Curious as to whether this is only a thing in the west. I cant believe it only exists here, but I can believe it looks slightly different elsewhere. Its enough of a thing out here, that my peers both laugh and sigh at this meme. Sound off on any funny stories of your experiences.   

• hahaha 3

7 hours ago, Coach James Poidog said:

Yeah not the video game unfortunately, the usually douchey dude that comes to the gym for the free trial and wants it to continue because (gasp) he has so much experience in street scrap. Also usually, is exactly like the video meme. Curious as to whether this is only a thing in the west. I cant believe it only exists here, but I can believe it looks slightly different elsewhere. Its enough of a thing out here, that my peers both laugh and sigh at this meme. Sound off on any funny stories of your experiences.   

AHAHA. Generally I find they have NO balance, can't throw a punch to save their lives and well, kicking, that relates to balance. But I give em a go because even some fuckwits can be redeemed. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Oh, I forgot to add the, "You can't teach me how to fight, I know how to fight.", line. Well, what the fuck are you doing here then?, is what I really want to let go with.

Edited by Jeremy Stewart
Addition.
  • hahaha 2

I haven't seen this exact scenario, but I've seen more than a few guys leave the gym after a couple weeks. Almost always after they decide its a cool idea to spar hard and someone who actually knows what they are doing "learns them" with a liver shot lol. Tough doesn't translate to fighting if you aren't open to learning. You'll just get TKOed by someone more experienced or with better cardio. It is really funny to just watch them whiff shots as their partner uses footwork to get out of the way though.

• Like 1
  • The Greatest 1

Only once but the dude didn't actually talk about it - you had to get to know him, but down the bar after a couple of drinks his stories came out... which were both shocking and hilarious - but also 100% true. Not a bullshitter at all.

Fairly quiet guy in the gym actually, from Russia. Came up in sketchy places where these altercations weren't uncommon for young guys growing up. Extremely polite and courteous, with an understated cleverness to him, but also *really* fucking strong, *really* fucking athletic, and *really* fucking skilled.

He'd be out getting trashed and high on god knows what every Friday night, then Saturday morning he rolls in to sparring session with no sleep, still wearing the same clothes, stinking of whiskey and ky jelly. Then kicks all our asses in sparring. Half way through training we're looking around wondering where he is, and it turns out he snuck outside for a cigarette break.

Got curious so asked him once about Russian athletes and what made them so successful in so many sports, expecting more street fight stories or something. He just said one word in his usual stoic demeanour. "Attitude". 

• Like 3
  • hahaha 1
  • Gamma 2

I've met several types of people over the years. The street fighters are common, you also get the guys who have very clear mental problems training in their jogging bottoms with that weird look in their eye. One guy I met and ended up sparring with was a guy who was new to the gym. He wasn't allowed to spar because he had no gumshield, but I offered to do a few rounds with him light contact. I had a feeling about the dude because he was in baggy jogging bottoms and had thick unkempt stubble going all the way down to his neck - and he'd said he was 'watching the other guys to learn their styles'.

For some reason I thought 'lets not judge the guy by his appearance, maybe I'm wrong'. The next thing I know this dude is dancing, trying to fight-dance, has his tongue hanging out of his mouth and when I warn him, he gets annoyed about it. I slap a few kicks on him but the dude is so physically unstable - that I have to call a quit. I say to him, there is literally no way I can spar him without hurting him, because he's messing around with shit that doesn't work.  He's swaying so much that if I kick this guy he'll be knocked out.

He says his style has worked on the streets, and I inform him that these guys are not guys on the street. They are trained MMA fighters. 

I talk to the MMA coach about it, and he said he had to warn the dude the day before. He said: 'listen, there are bigger, stronger men in this gym and at the moment they're being nice to you, if you keep acting the way you are then one of them is liable to hit you.' 

Ended up seeing the same dude the next day, he asked if I'd teach him a switch kick. He was MUCH better behaved. The dude never came back after that little mini lesson I gave him on his kick. I asked our front office lady about him, and she says: 'The lift doesn't go all the way to the top floor with him' and that he'd been homeless. 

He was an odd dude, I had to warn him not to talk to the kids in the Jr. class - because I knew his energy would freak them out. He wasn't an arsehole by any means but definitely someone I'm glad isn't here now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oliver said:

Only once but the dude didn't actually talk about it - you had to get to know him, but down the bar after a couple of drinks his stories came out... which were both shocking and hilarious - but also 100% true. Not a bullshitter at all.

Fairly quiet guy in the gym actually, from Russia. Came up in sketchy places where these altercations weren't uncommon for young guys growing up. Extremely polite and courteous, with an understated cleverness to him, but also *really* fucking strong, *really* fucking athletic, and *really* fucking skilled.

He'd be out getting trashed and high on god knows what every Friday night, then Saturday morning he rolls in to sparring session with no sleep, still wearing the same clothes, stinking of whiskey and ky jelly. Then kicks all our asses in sparring. Half way through training we're looking around wondering where he is, and it turns out he snuck outside for a cigarette break.

Got curious so asked him once about Russian athletes and what made them so successful in so many sports, expecting more street fight stories or something. He just said one word in his usual stoic demeanour. "Attitude". 

Ive actually had a few of these as well. I dont usually put them in the same catagory mainly because they do have that politeness and willingness to learn. That whole party hard then come and kick ass attitude is almost mythic. Theres a fighter who now owns a gym in Thailand, Im sure Kevin knows who he is, Skarbowsky I believe, who was notorious for this. He was on the ultimate fighter, brought in as a special coach by GSP. He schooled the mma guys on the show even though he had known habits that were contrary to what an athlete are supposed to have. Real interesting cat if you guys wanna look him up. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Coach James Poidog said:

Yes this, oh lord. Always confuses me. 

I usually pander to their egos and say something like, look I know you can fight but let's sharpen you up a bit. Some stay but most go. I've rarely had someone who reckons they can fight have the one thing that I look for balance. It doesn't matter how ugly your style is, if you have balance you got it made.

Edited by Jeremy Stewart
Addition.
  • Like 2

One of the really funny things I find with these kinds of knob jockeys is, they don't take the time to think about how ridiculous their bullshit sounds. Sure in a rough neighbourhood you're gonna have a lot of problems, but these wankers take talking shit to Mt. Olympus level. You never here about the times they got flogged up by the thin strip of pelican shit that they were picking on.😎😎😎😎

• Like 2

There's actually a "street fighter" who just started at my gym. He's really pretty humble, and seems like a nice guy. His technique is terrible and his overall athletic ability seems low. He's very quick to bring up his street fighting though. No stories, just likes to mention it. He still manages to do so in a humble way though. "This is all very new to me. I've only ever been a street fighter, so it's going to take me a bit to learn."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeremy Stewart said:

I usually pander to their egos and say something like, look I know you can fight but let's sharpen you up a bit. Some stay but most go. I've rarely had someone who reckons they can fight have the one thing that I look for balance. It doesn't matter how ugly your style is, if you have balance you got it made.

Yeah I can work with balance if their ego isnt too huge. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kuke said:

There's actually a "street fighter" who just started at my gym. He's really pretty humble, and seems like a nice guy. His technique is terrible and his overall athletic ability seems low. He's very quick to bring up his street fighting though. No stories, just likes to mention it. He still manages to do so in a humble way though. "This is all very new to me. I've only ever been a street fighter, so it's going to take me a bit to learn."

And see Im not anti these types either. I really dont care their past, its their "present" Im concerned with. I tell new students to not just empty their cup but put what they already know in a metaphorical mason jar and put it away for later. Fill a new cup with the new info and just add it to their experience. I dont want to take from them, only add. Guys like this, I have a chance at that. Guys like this are in some ways better than the raw new student as they have enough experience that they can know that they dont know and work to fix it.  

• Like 2

Yeah exactly, we all seen examples of the party hard dude that doesn't have it affect his conditioning at all, it's genetically freaky shit. Gotta admit, never seen the other one unfortunately. Like, the guy who comes in and says he's been in tonnes of street fights right off the bat. Always figured that happened in movies or Instagram memes but didn't know it's actually a regular real life thing.

• Like 3

This seems notably like a guy phenomenon although I have had a few ladies act like they are going to absolutely KILL me on their first day but that's ok I like it and anyhow I'm not a coach so the ego ain't my problem.  

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

18 hours ago, Coach James Poidog said:

Yeah I can work with balance if their ego isnt too huge. 

I find with those that stay, their ego was defence mechanism to a strange environment. After they've been hit and thrown around a few times, they realise they're not dealing with Joe Blow from the local boozer. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oliver said:

Yeah exactly, we all seen examples of the party hard dude that doesn't have it affect his conditioning at all, it's genetically freaky shit. Gotta admit, never seen the other one unfortunately. Like, the guy who comes in and says he's been in tonnes of street fights right off the bat. Always figured that happened in movies or Instagram memes but didn't know it's actually a regular real life thing.

It's real, dude. Although I'm still waiting to meet someone as bad as Charlie Z.

Edited by Jeremy Stewart
Addition.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, threeoaks said:

This seems notably like a guy phenomenon although I have had a few ladies act like they are going to absolutely KILL me on their first day but that's ok I like it and anyhow I'm not a coach so the ego ain't my problem.  

I'd be very surprised if it occurred among women. With blokes, I guess it would be a way of fitting in within what they perceive as an aggressive environment. From the outside looking in, it would be hard for them to understand friends hitting each other, and it's kinda accepted that men are "The street fighter" so this scenario, whilst it makes no sense to us,  makes sense to them. 

• Like 1

You only gotta look at Charlie Zellenoff, 270 something and 0, all in his mind of course. And then you've got those absurd claims, on dubious self defense advertisements.  Such and such, ex special forces, 600 street  fights and no losses. This kind of clap trap might have something to do with them thinking they need to validate themselves with bullshit.

• Like 1

OOOooomg yes, the Charlie Zellenoff videos were hilarious. Ok now it's making sense, if we're talking about guys like that. Don't think its a macho / ego thing.... some people are just properly mentally disturbed. 

Like he would stalk pro boxers on twitter, talk shit to them, death threats, dropping N bombs, the works. Best one had to be when Deontay Wilder invited him to his gym after the keyboard abuse, and the nutcase actually showed up and got his ass handed to him. 

Brilliant. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, threeoaks said:

I have had a few ladies act like they are going to absolutely KILL me on their first day but that's ok 

wait wait wait, so those girls do that to other girls too and not just us?!? Damn

• hahaha 3

23 hours ago, Oliver said:

I dont see it often but every gym had at least one. I worked at Tapout in Los Angeles and that place saw more than its fair share lol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, threeoaks said:

Agreed. Personally Ive never had a woman say or act this way ever. 

• Like 2