how do you guys overcome tennis elbow?

I have been training allot both boxing and thaiboxing almost everyday about 1.5-3.5 hours a day and of course having a resting day.
But even having/bought item that reduce/preventing huge strain on my elbow I'm starting slowly get tennis elbow and it starting to hurt.

So how do you guys prevent that beside stretching?.
Sins people have been training like hell and mostly dont have any strain problem on tendon like ankle or knee?.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, Yau Hoang said:

I have been training allot both boxing and thaiboxing almost everyday about 1.5-3.5 hours a day and of course having a resting day.
But even having/bought item that reduce/preventing huge strain on my elbow I'm starting slowly get tennis elbow and it starting to hurt.

So how do you guys prevent that beside stretching?.
Sins people have been training like hell and mostly dont have any strain problem on tendon like ankle or knee?.

I would have someone check your form on the inflamed side (boxing hook & MT hook can be different, plus have someone check the height of your elbow/angle of it on that punch).  I’ve had assorted injuries that have been corrected through better technique. Others, such as a year or so of inflamed wrist tendons, simply improved as my bones & muscle hardened & tempered around them.  But maybe you are past that.  Ice!  Copper bracelets!  Voodoo!  I hate injuries.  Good luck .

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Sometimes it can just be repetitive stress on muscles and tendons unused to the strain. The thing that worked for me better than anything else was massage. I had tennis elbow and couldnt hold pads it was so bad. Had a small tear that had healed but left acar tissue. I had to massage and break up the scar tissue to get blood flow into the area to heal. It was almost like magic after about 6 months of no relief even with braces on. Deep tissue and circular motions to really break it up. Otherwise what Kevin said. Check how you do things to see if there are possible corrections to be made there.  

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a clinician who specializes in upper quadrant orthopedic rehab, I've found that one of the best tools for tennis elbow is the Flexbar by a company called Theraband.  Here is a link that shows its creator demonstrating the use of the tool:

In addition to having your coach re-evaluate your technique (as was suggested by above posters) I would question what brand and what ounce gloves you use to train. 

As a bit of a gear-slut.  I've bought all kinds of gloves over the years and I think that the quality and type of gear you use absolutely has an impact on your joints and muscles.  I've had issues of my own with cheaper (i.e., Everlast) and harder, "puncher" style gloves like Cleto Reyes (not cheap, and I'm sad I can't use them bc they are gorgeous gloves). 

In contrast, I've found that Twins (and the oft celebrated Winnings) are very forgiving and help with people who do a lot of volume training and/or are prone to impact related strain and pain.  

Hope that helps.  You might also want to see a physical or occupational therapist and make sure it's actually tennis elbow as it could be something else.  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Most Recent Topics

• Latest Comments

• Hi Warren  It was very quiet when I was there. A few local guys and 2-4 foreigners but that can change and I'm sure this gym has got more popular. You can schedule privates for whenever you want. The attention to detail here is unbelievable and I highly recommend you train at this gym. In my experience, everyone was really good training partners and I learnt loads everyday.  
    • To all the MuayThai enthusiasts who have travelled to Thailand and trained in Muay thai- I would urge you to pls fill this form to share your interests and journey insights. This will help us explore possible ways to improve muay thai gym/training program search experience for the community https://forms.gle/39pBz4wHQ2CXPWNS8 Feel free to DM me if there is any feedback or query.
    • You can look through my various articles which sometimes focuses on this: https://8limbsus.com/muay-thai-forum/forum/23-kevins-corner-muay-thai-philosophy-ethics/ especially the article on Muay Thai as a Rite. The general thought is that Thailand's traditional Muay Thai offers the world an important understanding of self-control in an era which is increasingly oriented towards abject violence for entertainment. There are also arguments which connect Muay Thai to environmental concerns.
  • The Latest From Open Topics Forum

• Hi, this might be out of the normal topic, but I thought you all might be interested in a book-- Children of the Neon Bamboo-- that has a really cool Martial Arts instructor character who set up an early Muy Thai gym south of Miami in the 1980s. He's a really cool character who drives the plot, and there historically accurate allusions to 1980s martial arts culture. However, the main thrust is more about nostalgia and friendships.    Can we do links? Childrenoftheneonbamboo.com Children of the Neon Bamboo: B. Glynn Kimmey: 9798988054115: Amazon.com: Movies & TV      
    • Davince Resolve is a great place to start. 
    • I see that this thread is from three years ago, and I hope your journey with Muay Thai and mental health has evolved positively during this time. It's fascinating to revisit these discussions and reflect on how our understanding of such topics can grow. The connection between training and mental health is intricate, as you've pointed out. Finding the right balance between pushing yourself and self-care is a continuous learning process. If you've been exploring various avenues for managing mood-related issues over these years, you might want to revisit the topic of mental health resources. One such resource is The UK Medical Cannabis Card, which can provide insights into alternative treatments.
    • Phetjeeja fought Anissa Meksen for a ONE FC interim atomweight kickboxing title 12/22/2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu92S6-V5y0&ab_channel=ONEChampionship Fight starts at 45:08 Phetjeeja won on points. Not being able to clinch really handicapped her. I was afraid the ref was going to start deducting points for clinch fouls.   
    • Earlier this year I wrote a couple of sociology essays that dealt directly with Muay Thai, drawing on Sylvie's journalism and discussions on the podcast to do so. I thought I'd put them up here in case they were of any interest, rather than locking them away with the intention to perfectly rewrite them 'some day'. There's not really many novel insights of my own, rather it's more just pulling together existing literature with some of the von Duuglus-Ittu's work, which I think is criminally underutilised in academic discussions of MT. The first, 'Some meanings of muay' was written for an ideology/sosciology of knowledge paper, and is an overly long, somewhat grindy attempt to give a combined historical, institutional, and situated study of major cultural meanings of Muay Thai as a form of strength. The second paper, 'the fighter's heart' was written for a qualitative analysis course, and makes extensive use of interviews and podcast discussions to talk about some ways in which the gendered/sexed body is described/deployed within Muay Thai. There's plenty of issues with both, and they're not what I'd write today, and I'm learning to realise that's fine! some meanings of muay.docx The fighter's heart.docx
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts